Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been invited to go on a shoot in 2 weeks - My Dad (who I haven't seen for 28 years 8O ) helps run the shoot and is a beater, so he thought it would be a good "first meet" for us...

So what do I wear??? What should I expect?

It's a small shoot (in Yorkshire somewhere) with approx 8 guns and 8 beaters and I do believe they will be shooting partridge.

I have wellies (nice country type ones) but I only have a townie style waterproof - northface - will this be ok? I only have jeans also...

Thanks in advance - am getting nervous!!

·
Administrator
20,991 Posts
Stop worrying! On a small shoot like that you will be fine in that. If you like it there will be plenty of time to splash out later. Only thing I would recomend would be waterproof over trousers or leggings in case of a wet day. Go and enjoy the day. :)

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Flat cap, and a whippet (or top quality working bred Lab) on a piece of string, you'll look just the same as all the rest of us ooop 'ere :wink: :wink:

Whereabouts in Gods Country is the shoot?

It will probably be Partridge and maybe Duck as well, as Pheasants are n't in until October, Grouse are in as well, but you normally need a damn sight more than eight beaters for them.

Whatever kind of shoot it is, just go and enjoy it!!!

Then report back, with pictures :wink: :wink:

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Another novice, we will be able to swap stories. :p My first shoot is also in Yorkshire but mine is October. :lol:

Are the wellies comfortable for long walks? You will also need a good strong walking stick, and definitely wetlegs.

:D

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Oh I forgot a sack tied round with a bit of string or a feed bag slung over your shoulders.
if you are taking a dog - whatever you do dont have it on a lead, it has to be a frayed bit of mankie rope!
if you are doing a fair bit of walking, you might find wellies a bit heavy going, you would be better with a stout pair of boots that support your ankle.
That hat is a must cos when it rains it drips down the back of your neck and your clothes get soaked!
Sherry

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Blypark said:
Oh I forgot a sack tied round with a bit of string or a feed bag slung over your shoulders.
There's no point in showing up completely overdressed, if you are n't sure it's a posh shoot, the locals will think you are trying to show them up :wink: :wink: :wink:

Andrew

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Oh how exciting.

i'd def recommend waterproof trousers. Also a stick might help to get you out of any tough sticky bits! :lol:

I'd layer up too as there can be bits of standing around when you get cold and yet you can work up quite a sweat when active :D

and lots of socks to stop cold feet!

have fun

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Can't you tell the 'new' people. all neat, clean and tidy?
I am covered in mud, paw prints, blood, feathers and have rips here and there!

Sherry

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
oh how exciting, I'm sure your dad won't mind what you're wearing, just pick something comfortable.

Hope it all goes well.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys!

I have very comfy wellies and am used to walking in them - I'll also try to get hold of some waterproof trousers.

Will definitely take lots of pics :p

·
Administrator
20,991 Posts
You really will love it, believe me. So dont worry about anything. It it's anything like my shoot it's a very friendly affair with the regulars always ready to help.

One of the hardest things initally is to understand where you are! By the time you have walked through a wood it's sometimes difficult to figure out which way is back to base! But shoots name everything! Drives will all have names so after going a few times it will start to become clear.

Regards, John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts