Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks I survived :D .

At 50 something there probably aren't too many "firsts" left in life, but this was one and I think I found it rather akin to taking my Driving Test back when I was 17 8O, but I survived and I will try to tell you a little about the day.

First of all there were no awards given, so no results to pass on to you.

I made every effort to control the nerves (without too much success) but it was not helped by having a late number (13) and having to watch many other experienced handlers and some very nice dogs go out of the trial at a very early stage.

I managed to survive and finally went in line to be really lucky and get a nice straightforward partridge retrieve in front of the line which she picked nicely.

For out second retrieve I was taken to the other end of the line for a blind retrieve out on the plough. Which again she picked nicely.

My next retrieve was a mark in front which again just went into the (very thick) cover, but again she went in hunted for a while and reappeared with the bird.

At this point we all went back in to stand in the shade and for the judges and helpers to have a coffee. On asking who was left in (I know, I know I was totally confused all day :oops: ) . It was ME (eeek), another top trialler, and a certain person with the initials RM :wink: .

After the break the three of us went back out. I had the chance of an eye wipe on RM, but failed and indeed the judges failed to find the bird phew. The other person meanwhile had gone, leaving little old ME and RM (double eeek).

My next retrieve was a bird down the other side of some deep cover and back through a hedge. Try as I might (and even though I was allowed to go quite a long way forward cos I couldn't see anything) I couldn't push Darcy back through the hedge. She hunted the fall but I guess the bird had run back through the hedge. I couldn't actually see. So RM went and eye wiped me and Darcy and I shook his hand and said well done :oops: .

The judges, guns, helpers, secretary, other handlers were all fantastic and I did sort of enjoy it. Hopefully next time the nerves will be a little less 8O . I met Sarah, and Kate and knew quite a few other people.

I will just add a little proviso on the bottom of this post because to be perfectly honest when I finished I could only remember the very first retrieve 8O . On arriving home and thinking about it I think my other retrieves were as written but I could be wrong :oops: .

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Great write-up Jill, I was eeeeeeeek'ing at all the points you eek'd at too :lol: :lol:

Blimmin' brilliant, sounds fab! Well done to you and Darcy :D

How come there weren't any awards given?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Well done Jill and Darcy, you are very brave and like you say your nerves will only get better with each one you go to.

You must be very proud and I was going to ask the same as Moj....why no awards...???

Trace xx

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Thanks very much for the write up, Jill - so glad you survived the experience :D :D It does sound as a very good first time experience and a very respectable effort from you and Darcy - Well Done 8) 8) 8)

Natasha

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The 'no awards' thing happens when the judges feels that none of the dogs were not ready/good enough (on the day) so they simply don't award any dogs that day - not an unusual thing :wink:

Natasha

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well done Jill. An excellent start for you and Darcy.

It was good to meet you. I have been looking forward to your write up. Normally I would of stayed and watched to the end but as we had such a long drive home and seeing that we had only got 200 yards from the car we decided to make tracks. :oops:

Sarah

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Great write up Jill, well done on getting to the last two, shame they didn`t do any awards though.

·
Registered
831 Posts
trial

Enjoyed reading about your first trial; what a good day you have had to go so far with Darcy, well done. Onwards and upwards, good luck at the next one :)

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Well done Jill!! Sounds as though, despite the nerves you did have a good day, well done both of you. I am, sure it was NOT as easy as you portraied!!! :lol:

Marianne

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sounds like more than just survival to me, its sounds like you did very well and if you have to go, then an eye-wipe by a top trial man, when you’re the only 2 left in, has to be the way to do it! :D Warm day for the dogs as well!

John

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi there jarailstar. Yes I think we did ok. I just need to get the nerves under control and lots of work on pushing through hedges needed. Mind you I need to find some first 8O . I'm quite close to a run on the 3rd October.

John you can certainly say that again. Today was not really a good day to be out there in thick cover in all your shooting gear. It was blinkin boiling, but no excuses eh :wink: .

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time :D .

Nerves are always difficult to control :lol: . It tends to make everything go on fast forward :lol: and before you know it your home thinking about the day .

I think by the sound of it you will be going back for more and more and more..... :D

WELL DONE :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
we had another training day today and the heat was a killer. Im trying to put another one on this saturday as well as the one on the 10th of Oct. The trials are coming thick and fast now!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well done Jill and Darcy! I really enjoyed the write up. Sounds like a very respectable performance - and it must be a great feeling to have made it to the end. Fingers crossed for another run in October :D

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Well done Jill, very creditable performance, and one I'm sure you will improve on as the season goes on.

It was n't an easy day to be working dogs today, we were out on the moors, and scenting conditions were very difficult, hot, dry (ish), and lots of pollen.

When's your next run??

Andrew

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Well done Jill! In right to the end on your first trial, with so many others falling by the wayside - you must be well chuffed! Congratuations are definately in order!!

Katy

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well done, Jill. Sounds like you had a great day and must be so pleased with Darcy.

Onwards and upwards :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts