Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfie is a puller, he hasn't always been but has as he's got older. When he was a smaller puppy we bought a harness and were so pleased with it, we had so much more control of it and loved taking him for walks. As he's got stronger, the harness isn't any good, if he sees another dog, he pulls and he's way to strong for me to hold him back.

So, then I moved on to a figure 8 slip lead, which goes around his nose and then into a regular slip lead. It worked and he walks to heel with it and is a pleasure to walk. I have the control I want and now he walks better on a flat lead because of the habit of walking by my side and being praised/treated.

So to get the point....
I was in Pets at home the other day and saw the Halti and was tempted because it has the same sort of premise as the figure 8 slip lead but thought it was more practical as it's a proper clip on, instead of the slip.

I put it on according to instructions, tightened it and it looked exactly how it should, it was definitely the right size.

So off we went on our walk. And he went exactly back to how he was before the figure 8 lead, pulling along, then the nose band rode up to his eyes when he pulled and he'd then try to paw it off, and repeat. It was a nightmare. I'm thinking of taking it back.

(As soon as I put him back on the slip lead he walked normally again)

Just wondered if it was something I was doing or if it's just not right for him. I'll be taking it back unless there's another way of making it work.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Administrator
20,485 Posts
Done mess about with gimmicks. No collar or lead will train your dog, only you can do that. I walk my dogs on slip leads almost from the first time out on the lead right through their life. Keeping chopping and changing what you use and how you do things only causes confusion.

Regards, John

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Take it back, you've got something that works for you and him... Why change?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Burt ate his halti, it slipped into his mouth for a second and bam it was gone, wont buy another as it is too expensive :D i agree with what others have said, training, is really the only way to get them to walk nicely, Burt has a perfect fit harness seems to work well for us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts