Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as some of you know, Roo was neutered on Monday and it's safe to say he is back to his usual self :roll:

He is having three half-hour lead walks a day, and must remain on this until his stitches are out on Thursday.

HE IS DRIVING ME BONKERS! He usually has one 1-hour walk and one 30 mins walk a day, but both are off lead for almost all of the walk. He is so used to charging around the woods, swimming, running, head-bashing and body-slamming other dogs - he just can't understand why he can't be off his lead :(

He just had the biggest bum-tuck session around the garden with me trying to rugby-tackle him to the ground mid-circuit to stop him! This is, of course, the best game in the world and makes him run faster, impressively dodging out of the way just as he gets within arm's reach. He then proceeds to stand there, staring at me with tail wagging, begging me to come and chase him :roll:

He is jumping on the beds and sofa, chasing his ball all around the laminate-floored lounge smashing into the coffee table and TV unit and is generally acting like a demented puppy!

I am training with him three times a day with hot dogs and cheese, apart from he is so hyped to train he can't stand still and starts making up things he thinks I want him to do! He twists and turns, weaves through my legs (tripping me up in the process) and rolls over, all in the hurry to get to the garden to even begin training! One overly-high-pitched "yeah good boy" from me sends him in to a complete whirl and a BTR around the garden as a victory lap :roll:

Anyone know of an effective sedative?! :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hot dogs & cheese? Maybe these are like blue smarties to him, have you tried Roo with nice smelly shrimps or part of his kibble ration . It's hard stopping them bouncing in case of ripped stitches, grooming can be relaxing for them. By the time I get to the 'polish' brush it's like a massage to Bob and he lies half asleep on his side.
PS Hope you haven't fallen for 'neutering calms them down' line like we did. :i wink:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Oh god, me too - Mackie was done yesterday (Thursday) and has just woken up today. Aaaah! Any remedies will be greatly appreciated in this house too! He's never worn a buster collar either so my legs will be grateful forever if there's a miracle cure for demented puppies! :lol:

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Scatter their kibble rations on the grass and let them forage for them. Or soak it, stuff it in a Kong and then freeze it for them.

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
i was gonna say what becs said... all meals in kongs or kibble thrown across the lawn :D keeps them amused for ages.

Have u got a long line, i'd maybe use that to give him a bit more freedom to sniff on his walks and yet u can still hold the other end to prevent bum tucks.

Or try walking him in a busy place like town or a market, taking treats to reward the sits and waits etc. bit more mental overload for him :)

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Maybe cut back on their food a little?

I found Luna's energy levels dropped when I did cos she had to rest after stress fracturing a leg but after her spay when I didn't cut back she too was bouncing!!!!

We also spent chew time together - me holding chew, she chewing. Kept her calm for a while and I learnt to do stuff one handed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts