Labradors Forums banner

My dog has distemper what now???

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  SamM 
#1 ·
I took my dog to a vet when he didn't want to eat, and had green mucus on his nose. He gave him some anti-biotics, and some other medication and said he'll be fine. Well it seemed like he got over it, but this week he had discharge from the eyes, and he had a seizure and had shaky rear legs. I took him to another vet and he told me he had distemper. He want's to give him some medication to help him out. The vet said the dog has a chance to live. He says if he does make it he might have seizures, be paralized, and have other neurological disorders. What I want to know is, is my dog suffering? Is he going to die, or do you think he has a chance to make it. How does a dog get distemper anyways? Need some advice we love our lab. :cry:

#3 ·
I think you must take the experts advice for your dog. As a matter of interest how old is the dog? and is he fully vaccinated? I do hope that he can be treated. Regards Meg

#4 ·
Hi.... I can imagine what your going thru coz a friend of mine went thru the same agony... Her pup has distemper when he was just few weeks old and cud not be given the vaccine... Most vets gave hope and the poor boy wud have high temp, seizures, loss of apetite... But my friend did not lose hope and fought the battle... shes now a proud mother of a 2 year old :D ... She did tell it was months of sleepless nite... she quit her job coz she had to look after her pup.... The puppy wud be kept on drips and at the end of it she fought against destinym & won....

I'm sure with proper medication & oodles of LOVE..ozzy wud do just fine... :)

Good Luck & wishing ozzy a speedy recovery....

#5 ·
:(
Well I took my little loved one to the vet. He looked fine in the morning, but then he started having muscle twitches, and seizures. By the time we got to the vet he had 5 seizres in about 1.5 minutes. I wanted to take hime back home to give him a chance, but by the time we were leaving he couldn't walk anymore. The vet then said it would be best to put him to sleep. :cry: Man it's hard loosing a little dog that loves you a lot. :cry:

#6 ·
OMG. That is terrible news! :cry: :cry: I am so sorry. :cry:

#20 ·
AlPerez,

I'm so very sorry to hear about Ozzy, i can't quite imagine how you must be feeling at this very moment. Life is so hard sometimes, and we have to be very strong when dealing with certain situations.

All our thoughts are with you at this sad time, please come back to us if you need a friendly place, we will all be here to listen.

All our best to you & your family.

Julie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.