Labradors Forums banner

My boys been bitten / attacked! UPDATE

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  -Kate- 
#1 ·
I took Diesel to doggie day camp today as me and OH were working long days and unable to tend to him. Hes been there many times before and we have never had a problem.
As i walked in today one of the women on reception stoped me and asked me to wait for the manager 8O . Panick set in as i couldn't see him in the 'ring' where day camp takes place. The manager came in straight away and walked me over to the vet's room. All sorts were going through my mind i really didn't know what to expect. :(

She started to tell me that Diesel had been attacked and the vet was looking over him to see if he had been bitten 8O :(

Another dog was trying to paly fight with him and Diesel doesnt really know how to play with other dogs. The other dog a rottweiler im lead to believe was getting annoyed with him and started to get more aggressive with him. The girl in the ring with them was trying to calm the situation down and stop the rottweiler from trying to play fight by distracting him but it didn't work. The rottweiler went for Diesel and get hold of him by the scruff of his neck! :evil:
I spoke to the vet and he said there were just scratches and if the girl had not pulled them apart he could have punctured the skin.
The other dog had been banned from camp.
Diesel was scared silly when i was let in to see him, he wouldn't leave my side and was whimpering. Hes settled down now and is asleep next to me.
Diesel is already a very nervous dog. We have spent a lot of time building up his confidence and this has just taken his back to square one!

Now im in too minds to take him back. He seams to enjoy his time at camp and only goes once a week if that. Or do you think it will be too much for him returning to the place of the innicendt? I dont know what to do.

Thank you in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Poor Diesel :sad:

Is it worth you going back with him and building his confidence by spending a few hours there and showing him that it's still a fun place to be?

#3 ·
Sorry i should have said in the first post. Members of the public are not allowed in the 'ring' due to insurance, fair enough.
I could stay with him on the outside of the ring but once he get in there he suddenly finds his voice and doesn't stop barking 8O We never hear anything from him but once he gets in there hes like a dog possessed!

#5 ·
Oh dear poor Diesel!

As to taking him back. The other dog has been banned so that is one worry of your mind. I'd say if he was normally happy there then continue as you did. It sounds like the people there did all they could to prevent it happening and will probably be extremely watchful of dear Diesel at all times in the future. I'd find it really difficult but it is probably best for Diesel's confidence if he 'gets straight back on the bike' as it were???? Doggy friends will be a great help with rebuilding his confidence I would've thought.

Luna sends licks and gentle nuzzles.

#7 ·
What a horrible thing to happen but I agree with Laura. If you can bear it I would try to take him back for the sake of his confidence. I am sure they will be extra careful and aware after the incident. The last thing you want is him to develop a fear of other dogs, or worse still become the dog that snarls a warning to stop other dogs starting anything. I really hope he manages to get over it and enjoy his doggy chums again.

Norma

#8 ·
I think your right ill take him back sooner rather than later.
They do take care of him as we had a few settling in issues. I know they will watch over him.
But who will watch over me?? 8O :lol:
I think ill be more worried about him going back than he will be :roll:

I've just been and bought him some 'emergency' treats, those seam to be helping. :wink: :lol:

#12 ·
Sorry to hear Deisel has ben attacked, I understand your not being allowed in with the dogs but I`d ask if you can take him for say a couple of hours but wait in the area you collect them from.

If they agree to this try to "hide" yourself so he can`t see you but you can see him, this should hopefully help him realise its not all scary and will give you peace of mind seeing he`s ok.

I say hide because if he knows your there he`s more likely to create and give the impression he`s scared or wants out.

#13 ·
I don't want to speak out of turn or sound like I am trivialising today's events, but I have to say that to me that doesn't really sound like an "attack" to be honest. If a rottie had attacked Diesel then there would certainly have been puncture wounds and a girl would not have been able to pull them apart.

It sounds to me more like the other dog got a bit over-excited trying to encourage Diesel to play and yes, of course, it should have got the message that Diesel didn't want to play, but my point is it sounds more like mixed-up language coming from them both. Diesel doesn't want to play, the other dog does, and perhaps between them they didn't communicate that very well.

Sometimes when my boys play together they look like they are hanging off each other throats and the noises are awful but it is all play, sometimes a bit rough in my eyes but there is no nastiness there at all.

Personally, if I had been the owner of the rottie and my dog have been banned under the circumstances you describe I think I'd be rather annoyed.

As for Diesel now being scared, to be honest I think I would take him back there again as soon as you can and act like nothing has happened. Normal routine etc, and see how he gets on.

Hope he bounces back to his normal self soon.

Vicki

#14 ·
Vicki, must admit I was thinking the same as I read the thread. Mine grab each other by the neck etc. too when they are playing and can make dreadful noises, but it's definitely all play.

Also, I've never owned a rottie but I gather from those that have, that they are well known for making some "interesting" noises when playing. I wasn't there I know, but I did wonder if those watching had mistaken all of this for an attack and banned the rottie unnecessarily :?

I do agree that it shouldn't have been allowed to continue if Diesel was worried, so they were right to stop it and I do hope he's ok.

#15 ·
Im responce to your posts ladies i can only from what i was told as i wasnt there. You are both righ it may have just been mixed up body language.
As for the dog being banned i have no control over that. I assume they have resons to do this as they were there when it hppened.
Having just reread what ive written i come accross a little sharp. Im not trying to be rude, just halp asleep :?

#17 ·
I took him back today to see how he would get on.
He was fine up till we got out the car and then he started whining. I encouraged him to go inside where he was greeted with lots of fuss and treats. We spend a few mins talking to the manager and she let him in for free today. I think she was just happy i wasn't shouting about what happened and that id brought him back.

As i took him over to the 'ring' he started to bark and whine. The girl is the ring gave him treats to help him get inside. He was really unsettled. They were all trying do distract him with his favorite toy but he kept jumping up at me and barking.
The first time we took him he did this so i decided to pop to the supermarket across the road to see if he would settle once id left him.
It worked! :D
When i came back he was charging around with the other dogs. I decided to leave him a little longer as he hadn't spotted me.

I asked the manager about baning the other dog and asked her if she thinks it may have seen confused signals between the two. She told me that they had other problems with the behavior and was not prepared to take chances.

Thankyou all for your suggestions and help.

#18 ·
Glad that Diesel is happier now, sorry I missed the original post.

I can totally sympathise with you as my Sophie is fear aggressive and as such prone to attacks. Not suggesting that Diesel is fear aggressive at all but sympathising with you re the attack as we are often on the thick end of it!

Hope Diesel has no lasting effects.

#23 ·
sorry to hear about diesel :( hope he springs back and the episode doesn't have lasting effects.

Can you explain this doggie camp thingy tho? how many dogs go? is it just a free for all with dogs free to play and roam in the 'ring' as they wish?

#24 ·
Its at a pet center.
Its the same as a kiddie creche. They open at 8AM till 6PM. Every dog has to be checked to see if they are ok around other dogs. They put them into there kennels for an initial assessment then if they pass they are put into the open penned area, 'the ring' with other dogs.
Theres always someone in the ring playing with the dogs.

Diesel goes there about once a week depending on how much work we have on. Sometimes OH has to work away and i can do long hours so he goes there for the day. I know they limit the number of dogs but im not sure as to how many by. I've seen no more than 10 in when we have been.
Im not sure if im allowed to give you the name in this post but ill PM you the details

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.