Labradors Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
my lab is called annie she is just 11 months old over the past eight months she has totally out of the blue just started howling and crying for about five mins at a time , it doesnt happen frequently about every two months, when this happens all of a sudden she cant walk she falls about really looking sorry for herself i dont really know what to do i certainly dont want to throw away £200 for the vet to tell me that she is just a big pansy. If anyone has any idea what it might be i would really appreciate it.
many thanks Sam.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi sam,welcome to the forum,has annie not been to the vets at all since she has been doing this?i dont mean to be rude but where is your vet if you think you have to pay £200 for a visit,i had a consultation with an orthopedic surgeon for my lad for £100,please take her to your vet as soon as poss it could be nothing,and the sooner she see's a vet then the sooner you will know,come on guys a bit of backing here please.lynne.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Sam
There must be a reason for your puppy to do this. You say she has done this for the last 8 months, which means she was only 3 months when she started doing this. When she does this have you noticed other peculiarities other than she cannot walk?? I would be concerned if the puppy was mine. I am sure a consultation with the Vet will not amount to £200.Why not take her along for peace of mind, it may mean some tests, but I am sure it will be worth it. Let us know how she is Regards Meg

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum :D , I have to agree with the others, If she was my dog I would get her along to the vets to see if anything was wrong and for the peace of mind. It could be that if left untreated things might get worse. Best to be safe than sorry :D Good luck,

Cristina

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
hi sam,
i have to agree with lynne and meg on this. i would be very worried if this was happening to my dog. you say she howls and crys for about 5 mins. this to me says she is in pain. please take her to the vets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Annie

hi again .
sorry for not explaining myself properly as far as the vet is concerned ive taken her there on several occasions and the vet gave her a severe prodding bending felt her hips knee's feet etc.. and couldnt find anything wrong with her he said its not hip displacia but did suggest that it could be something to do with her knee and that there is a small operation to fix the knee cap to stop this from happening. and also suggested x-rays which could amount to £200.I didnt want to put annie through this as it could be quite distressing for her and i put it down to her growing at such a rate and her muscles wearnt growing as quick as her bones hence twisting herself.I was just wondering if anyone had experianced this before.
cheers. sam
P.S sorry for the spelling.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

If you have a look in the post called "How big is big" that gives info on the growth of labs.(maybe useful maybe not?) :) Also do you have pet insurance? as this would cover the cost of xrays. My dog Ben had xrays done because he was limping and they showed OCD, I'm NOT saying this is what your dog has, just that xrays do show things the eye can not see. Your vet wouldn't of suggested them if he didn't think they might help. Might be worth a go, just to find out if there is something wrong with the Knee cap. :) Sorry I couldn't be of more use :D

Cristina

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi :)

sorry i agree with lynn meg cristina jane and everyone else..lol..

please take her for the tests she needs.. 8 months is a bit long for her to still be doing it also it would mean peace of mind for you aswell
as cristina said if she is insured they will pay for any x-rays or medicine needed thats what insurance is there for :):)

good luck hope you sort it out and she is fine :):)

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi,putting her through the distress of a few x-rays and tests now is going to be far less distressing for her than the pain she will go through if she has a problem,as cristina said your insurance should cover the tests and the consultation fee should you ask your vet for a referral,please re consider and see your vet again, lynne,

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
I agree with Lynne, but I'll ask one more question. Is the problem always assocated with one leg, or does it move around? Think about this carfully because when things like this happen our immediate thought is, "It's that leg again!" and we dont always notice that this time its the other leg.

This could be an important clue.

Regards, John

·
Registered
280 Posts
hi there

Im so sorry to hear your baby isnt doing so well.

I thought I would offer an opinion, seeing as though Sasha is on her 2nd knee operation now.

We started out in November 2003 when Sasha suddenly became lame. The vet misdiagnosed her, and subsequently, the first injury went untreated for 6 months which was a disaster. If you leave an injury untreated, you leave too much opportunity for arthritis to get a hold of them, and that's something you definitely want to avoid!!

the same injury has now reoccured in her other leg now, and we had her seen to straight away.

I whole heartedly recomment you go to the vet. I know xrays are expensive, but they are necessary to see what the problem is. Cruciate ligament injuries are difficult to see on xrays though, but your vet should be able to manipulate her knees and hips to see how stable they are.

If you do find the an injury that is cruciate ligament orientated, feel free to get it touch with me for any info or support that you might need. Sasha has had 2 TPLO's now (Tibia Plateau Levelling Osteotomy) so we are abit more familiar with what is involved. The costs are high, but have been lucky enough to be insured. I always say I would go bankrupt for Sashy though... :?

let us know how you get on.

Love from Anthea and Sasha x

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Sam
I have to agree with the others, she's young and the sooner you can get her properly diagnosed the sooner you will be able to take action if it's needed. Not all problems require surgical intervention, but by knowing you will be able to take the necessary steps, and avoid any condition she may have from deteriorating.
Good luck and let us know how she is.
:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know its an old post but..

I feel that I have to say something,sad as it is :(.
Before we got Angel,we gave a home to one of my friends mums puppies..her name was Jade.

Her mum was an alsation,her dad was a lab..at this time we were niave and knew nothing of hip dysplasia,which I will regret forever :cry: .

Jade often used to howl on occasion from when she was only 3 months old,and the vet said she had probably pulled something as pups often do,and he gave her anti inflammatories,these helped for a while but we kept taking her back to be told she must have pulled a muscle.

This one day,I remember having made an appointment for Jade to finally get some xrays to see if she had a fracture,my biggest regret that day is that I said to her just before she went that She had been naughty for eating one of Liannes nappies ( :roll: ) and that I would give her lotsa lovin when she came home.
The unfortunate thing is,is that she never DID come home,the vet rang once she was under anaesthetic,and said that she had the worst case of H/D he had seen and that the kindest thing would be to not bring her round from the anaesthetic as she would have no quality of life,as you can imagine,we were heart broken.

The only good thing that came out of losing Jade is that we learnt about H/D and when we went to choose Angel,we made sure that her parents had been hip scored etc and all was well,and at nearly 9 now she is just showing that first signs of HD but still has a perfect quality of life.

I think that what I am trying to say,is that if you have a puppy (or indeed adult dog) NEVER ignore the symptoms,and if you disagree with what the vet is saying don't be scared to keep going back until you get the results you crave.. poor Jade had to suffer for 9 months because they thought we were just being over anxious,when i think of the pain that baby must have been going through It breaks my heart,yet she was the lovliest,gentlest puppy you could ever wish for.
Sorry this is such a long post,just wanted to share this and even if I can make 1 person do the right thing for their pet,then it was worht me saying.

Take care all xx

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
The thing I dont understand about this one Hazel is that it comes and goes. That was why I asked if it ever changed sides. I was thinking in terms of Panosteitis. The age is about right for this.

It's just a thought.

Regards, John

·
Registered
38 Posts
thats the weird thing..

She only ever cried out when she sat on one particular side,and this leg sometimes turned in slightly,yet the vet said that when he saw the xrays both were equally as bad,but she just must have been more sensitive the one side. He also said that if dogs are born with it,they know no different so tolerate it as part of their daily life and only yelp when the pain becomes suddenly sharp.

I also know though John that you probably know a whole lot more about these things than I do,and my situation with Jade was probably not a common one (at least I hope not) so your advice was more likey to be of more effect than mine lol..
I guess I just wanted to share this with people and just strenghten the point that we as the dog owners, know our dogs better than anyone and if we notice something 'odd' we should follow our insticnts,much as we do with our kids I suppose. :)

Take care x

·
Administrator
21,515 Posts
I guess I just wanted to share this with people and just strenghten the point that we as the dog owners, know our dogs better than anyone and if we notice something 'odd' we should follow our insticnts
This is so true Hazel. Again, in a case like this it is just about impossible to give advice. Without being able to see the dog we are dependant on the poster's description, which of course is dependant on the posters powers of observation. If someone says, "My dog limps." that means nothing at all. Even with chapter and verse, without seeing the dog it can only be a guess. There are just so many possibilities.

Regards, John[/quote]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts