Labradors Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Black Lab called Hattie, she absolutely loves humans and she even smiles at people she meets. The only problem is, she growls and barks quite scarily at anything outside, she seems to be constantly grumbling at this and that. When people come to the door, she goes into full guard dog mode, and growls and barks. As soon as she get up to the person (who is a bit scared at this point) she wags her whole body and gets very sweet and exited. I walked Hadrian’s wall in the summer with my friend and Hattie. We are both <18 so I think she feels some sort of protective instinct? when we were walking she was fine, but as soon as we sat to eat or rest, she saw that as her base and growled at ever walker who passed us - even running up and barking at them. She also has a big problem with other unspayed female dogs, but I think that is just her showing her dominance, as she snaps but never injures. Whenever she meets other dogs though, her hackles are straight up and her tail is in the air. She has never hurt another dog. These problems have increased since she had puppies 3 months ago

Does anyone have any advice to settle her, and let her know that there isn’t anything going to hurt me? It’s just sad because she loves attention and love so much but she has a very strong protective instinct!

Thank you!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts