Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ok so not exactly a baby but still behaving like one!! LOL Can someone please offer some advice, he was allways so good out and about, you could walk with him off the lead, he knows all his commands - but this is where now the selective hearing is coming in!! Tonight he ran off and nearly knocked to rather unhappy fishermen in the river as he scrambled past them and jumped in! Completely ignoring anything we were saying or doing, we tried stern tried making it sound more fun to come back to us ............nothing.........suddenly completely deaf! How can we gain our control back??? getting a bit tired of having a permanently red face and apologising.........???

·
Registered
331 Posts
It took us a very long time to stop Jade doing these kind of things :) It just seemed to be water and there was no stopping her. It does sound however that he has reached his teenage phase and that you just need to keep training him that this is not desirable behaviour, perhaps giving him a treat or lots of praise everytime he does come back and hopefully he will learn :D I am no expert though...just my take on things :D

Good luck for no more red faces

Heather

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I have found bribery usually works! I still reward with treat no matter what age the dog is if they return INSTANTLY flat out to me when I whistle. But if the body isn't turning by the third "pip" of "pip pip pip" then no treat, just a stroke. If they are slow to respond - eating cow pats or sniffing dogs bottom is usually a good distraction - then I march out - at which point they start coming to me. I say nothing, just walk them back to where they were, and walk away. Then I "pip pip pip" again. one the first pip they are on the way towards me. My boys are far from perfectly behaved but it does seem to go in phases, and if you never accept 2nd best then you do get there. I have been REALLY strict with Oak who is 14 months, and although he does push his luck sometimes, generally he is very good.

Good luck!

Katy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your ideas..........I will persevere ! You have also just reminded me that i have a whistle somewhere which i have never tried, so am going to find that out. Also i think i will try a new treat something a bit more delicious. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts