Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my 10 week old Lab pup, Flynn is a great guy...full of fun and mischief...he has so many toys he needs a box for them all ..
At the moment though he has developed a definite stripe across his back...so from the head to his shoulders he is mild chocolate, and from his shoulders to his tail is dark chocolate. Friends have started calling him fruit and nut !! We dont really mind, but is he likely to stay like this??? we cant decide if its because patting and stroking has taken oil out of his coat?? He has been treated with Frontline (although still scratches) so it may have been that, but its odd that the top (head shoulder area) is lighter, and I would have expected that to be lighter... any advice would be appreciated.
if he is going to be two tone...c'est la vie...and it will be a great talking point LOL thanks very much
Hellen :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Hellen,

My 6 month old lab has a path on his back that is a different shade of brown than the rest of his body. I'm no expert but i think it might be his puppy coat growing out, i'm not worried about it as it looks quite cute and makes him quite unusual!!! :p

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi and welcome! Our Edie's chocolate and we noticed a change in her coat as well. It started with her tail and a strip down her back. The adult coat was darker, coarser, and a bit wavy - she was looking a little mixed up there for a while :lol: but it all evened out. I don't think it will always be that noticeable.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi hellen :)

dont worry about the two toned colouring..lol..my choccy lab was the same some darker some lighter on her body :) im waitng for rosze to have her first shed then she will probley end up looking patchy but yes it will even out in the end or just have her tail light or dark and so on..lol..

·
Registered
22 Posts
when I got my pup Oscar and he started to grow and develop his coat colour his tail was slightly lighter than the rest of him! now he's 6 months old it's all evened out and it looks fine...

·
Registered
19 Posts
My choccie lab has exactly the same thing - a line appeared down his back at about 11 weeks with the hair on his head lighter than the hair on his back. The line has gradually moved up his neck & he is now almost all one colour except for a little patch of light on his head still. :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
hi
my choc lab rolo is the same at twelve weeks ,his head is lighter also his undercoat is lighter .I had him to the vets today for his microchip and the nurse said he had an old mans coat (older dogs normally are lighter) and it was unusual to see lighter colour on head and that he has already got his adult coat.But i dont think he has adult coat yet he is still a baby
gill

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi there

My labs are 3 yrs old and it does look as though the strip down their backs are a slightly darker colour. Its less pronouced as they got older but still visible. Seems normal I think even some black labs have a two tone colour - my mums certainly did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our 10 week old Choc Ronnie is the same - he has a slight light patch near his tail on his back. This is how I could tell him from his brothers and sisters when I went to get him! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi
my choc lab rolo is the same at twelve weeks ,his head is lighter also his undercoat is lighter .I had him to the vets today for his microchip and the nurse said he had an old mans coat (older dogs normally are lighter) and it was unusual to see lighter colour on head and that he has already got his adult coat.But i dont think he has adult coat yet he is still a baby
gill

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 5 month old and female. Her body is dark choc, but her head is still a cinnamon. Don't really notice much inside. But outside you really see it. It actually makes her 1 of a kind. She almost has silver highlights in her face if you are close enough to see them.

·
Administrator
21,397 Posts
She will be growing her adult coat shortly, then you will start to see what shade she will finally end up. (Though winter coats are often slightly darker than summer coats.)

·
Registered
Hailey, Yellow Lab
118 Posts
Our chocolate girl had a medium brown puppy coat but her adult coat was a deep brown. The fur on her head was the last to change, giving her the appearance of a two-tone dog for quite awhile. Maybe yours will be the same?

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts

An old photo, but this is Tau my choc girl, her coat bleaches paler and you can see a patch of old coat on her rump in this photo. She's a bit of a chameleon, her normal coat colour is a medium/pale coat, but if she sun bleaches she looks almost yellow. Her daughter is much darker and a more solid coat colour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts