Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on the phone to the vet. He's said not to panic...... but I'm panicking!!!

Boots ate some mushrooms out in the forest - they were down the hatch before I could say 'leave it' or do anything. They were ordinary looking ones - pale underneath, brown on top.

Came home and got the dogs hosed down and dried off. Meanwhile I'd put their dinner on the side. Decided to soak their kibble for a wee change, so poured some boiling water over their bowls. While waiting for it to cool, Boots was watching longingly, drooling big time. I thought it was just 'I want my dinner drool.'

Shortly after they had their dinner Boots started whining and kept drooling. Then he vomited. His dinner and the mushrooms. But he's still salivating now. Not loads but a bit, and is unsettled, although bright enough in himself, tail wagging.

I saved a bit of mushroom from the puke and phoned vet. He said not to bring him in. That if he's vomited, he'll most likely be fine. Salivating is normal and is 'in the head' rather than anything physical..... I didn't quite understand but was too panicked to ask what he meant. He said there's not a lot they can do for mushroom poisoning other than induce vomiting and administer fluids, keep an eye on kidneys/liver etc. He said just to keep and eye on him at home and phone back if his demeanour changes.

Meantime, vet went off to phone the poisons unit just in case they thought otherwise. He's just phoned back and poisons people think the same as him. Just monitor him at home for now. He told me to check his pupils. Dilated good, constricted bad. They're quite dilated and he's settled down beside me for now.

Vet said to watch him for an hour and phone back if anything changes.

OMG, what if I've broken Jill's dog??? 8O :cry: :cry:

Knowledgeable LF people - what do you think??????

V panicked - haven't had an emergency vet situation before
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,133 Posts
If he brought them up quite soon after that's good. Have you tried googling to see if you can identify what kind they were? Hope he's ok.

BTW if Wicca has been sick for any reason she is usually quite drooly afterwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,405 Posts
No advice Mo but I am sure Boots will be OK :? Try phoning the Dick Vet in Edinburgh, they deal with all of this sort of thing as they train vets there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,841 Posts
No advice.

Just hope he's ok Mo. sending him get well soon and don't eat mushrooms<<<<<<<vibes>>>>>>>>.

And hugs to you, you probably won't get any sleep tonight.

Fingers crossed he's got rid of them by throwing up.

Yvonne
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
Oh my goodness, what a worry. I think you'll just have to trust the vet's advice this time. My parents had a boxer some years ago who was sick after eating some dodgy mushrooms - so was my mum, but the dog recovered much quicker than she did. The dog was a bit quiet and sorry for herself for the rest of the day, but was back to normal bounce after a good night's sleep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jayj (and everyone else), that's reassuring to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,877 Posts
Don`t know anything about mushrooms but want to wish Boots well, hopefully now he`s been sick he`ll be ok :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,599 Posts
Sorry to hear about Boots eating mushrooms.Sending vibes everything will be ok.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,284 Posts
Hope now that he's been sick that he's got it all out of his system and will feel much better soon :grouphuuug:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,019 Posts
Most fungi are ok, a few will make you sick but only a very few are serious bad news. If he's been sick then almost certainly he will be fine. All you can do now is to relax and keep a watching brief.

Regards, John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
oh no Mo - hope Boots is ok now the mushrooms have reappeared (& yay for John's post above - very reassuring!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,890 Posts
As others have said - the fact he has been sick is good :D There is a paste the vets so which can be given which can temporarily stop the dog digesting things (from Clover's chocolate eating episode :roll: ) - no idea if it works with mushrooms - but if you are really concerned - may be worth having a chat with the vet :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much everyone. He retched a bit just now, but only a tiny amount of what looked like water came up. He's still salivating, but not so much, and pupils still ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,284 Posts
JohnW said:
Most fungi are ok, a few will make you sick but only a very few are serious bad news. If he's been sick then almost certainly he will be fine. All you can do now is to relax and keep a watching brief.

Regards, John
I thought mushrooms were meant to be potentially harmful to dogs though? I know I've read that on the "don't give to your dogs" type sites in the past and they're listed on the thread on here:
http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/ftopict-27167.html

(sorry Mo, not trying to worry you more :flower:)

Weirdly about the only food Max has ever left when dropped on the floor (when we've been preparing meals) is mushroom and he will eat anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know Angela, I always thought they were seriously bad news. I did a speedy google to help me decide whether phoning the emergency vet was absolutely necessary, and the results of the search told me to phone the vet immediately. I was in the middle of putting my coat on as I was waiting for him to answer the phone, that's how certain I was that we'd have to go in. I had visions of him being kept in overnight and needing to have a drip and all sorts.

He's dropped off to sleep now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,892 Posts
Oh they are sods aren't they? Last year we had loads in our garden. The only one who ate them was Blue and she was sick and had a terrible upset tum. In the end each morning MOH had to go out and squash them as they appeared. As soon as they went the upset tum went too. She lost weight but needed to following a summer of porking figs!
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top