Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I'm curious about this.

Sonny is 18 weeks tomorrow; he is my first lab puppy and I don't know if this is very normal or common but just seeing what I can do about it.

The thing that gets to me the most; is his behaviour with feeding him with your hand. Not 100% of the time but the vast majority of the time; when I go to feed him with his kibble during training or whatever else; he sort of snaps for it; not an aggressive snap but a lungeing snap or he'll do this thing with his nose directly straight in the air making a funny sound chewing to get it.

I should really video this so you can see.

Does your lab or puppy do this?

When he does it; I now back away my hand and release it back down slowly saying 'easy' .. and it'll be better the second time around .. So maybe just a matter of time but just wanted to ask.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Completely normal and keep going as you are with the 'easy' training. My 2 can still revert back to puppies sometimes... :roll:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luna-Tuck said:
Completely normal and keep going as you are with the 'easy' training. My 2 can still revert back to puppies sometimes... :roll:
Thanks for the assurance.

Is this normal with puppies in general or a lab ?

The amount of nips I've got now of my hands are un-real haha.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Don't know about other pups but normal with croco-labs to have scratches up arms and hands from nails and claws... and for sleeves to be shredded! I remember my nose being attacked and a nostril being caught on a canine more than once whilst playing too close!! Keep yelping and diverting mouthing onto toys and once the puppy teeth have fallen out and adult teeth are through things tend to improve. Be warned that a 2nd round of teething happens at the backs of their mouths around 7-10months. They will hopefully not be chomping your hand at this age but could well decide that wooden tables/doors etc are good teething chews! Nylabones, antler bones etc can be worth ever penny spent!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm new on here so don't know if this has been mentioned before but
The Dogs Trust site on t'internet has some really good videos on all aspects of dog training.

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
I would always be faster than my puppy!! so when they lunged, I would pull my hand back and say "GENTLE".

Cassie was only 6 weeks when we had her (OK, too Young), so I got on the floor and became Mom and sibling, we played, I blew in her face, she lunged, but she never got my nose!!!! Then we had her little sister Sophie and OMG, more fun and mayhem!!!!

I'd got no internet advice 15 years ago so this is "don't try this at home" advice :wink: (just like the TV programmes :lol: )

I gained some sort of respect by getting on the floor and being a dog, also being faster than them!!!

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I did the opposite with Cooper and kept my hand there but made sure I was not releasing the treat. So I'd get a snap at my fingers, go OUCH!, leave it there until he started licking my hand and then release 'good boy'. I thought that pulling away might encourage more snapping as he'll think 'ooh I need to grab that quick before she pulls away!' Plus I was never able to be faster then him, so had to use other tricks.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I did the same as Kiki I made a fist around the treat so they couldn't get if they tried to snatch, if they tried to steal it I would tell them no... gentle. Once they had sat down calmly I gave them the treat. My daughter was nervous of Roxy to start with and Roxy would try to snatch from her so I put a pair of gloves on my daughter to give her a little confidence and then let her practice until she got it right. Like Kiki said if you almost drop the treat last second to avoid getting nipped they try to catch it and end up catching your fingers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts