Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple of weeks Rueben seems to be moulting a LOT 8O

Is this normal for this time of year? I assumed he'd moult at the beginning of the summer but clearly not!

My kitchen floor seems to be constantly covered in dog hairs at the moment :roll: Is there a particular brush I should be using for when he is moulting? I just have an ordinary bristle brush which I groom him with a couple of times a week at the moment. Any recommendations and tips for grooming gratefully received!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Well, if Roxy is anything to go by, she started to moult at about 6 months, still going strong at 6 yrs :lol:

Frequent dips in the lake seem to help, and I groom her with an undercoat rake thingy, haven't tried a furminator yet.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
rach_willibob said:
Mine start at the head and finish at the tail! :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Corbie usually has two main moults twice a year. He'll also shed more when the temperature rises.

I use a furminator-style blade on him as needed, which helps.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
I agree with Jac, mine never seem to stop :roll: I am a furminator user too, best thing ever.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Theo doesn't stop!! The floors are always covered in little black hairs...

Goldie always moults in the spring and autumn but Theo doesn't seem to have these distinctive timings...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Sasha is just the same Anita - she's 9 and I've never known her moult no where near as this much before. I'm constantly sweeping the floor. I brush her often but it just seems never ending at the moment. Keep thinking she'll end up completely bald at this rate :?

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
I read somewhere that naturally dogs will moult twice a year as the sunlight hours decrease for winter and the light hours increase for the summer. However, whatever and wherever I read that also said that dogs that live in houses with us don't always moult to these rules as the unnatural lights in our homes 'mess it up!' Dogs who live or spend a lot of time outdoors or in naturally lit homes respond to the natural light more.

Luna had a massive moult as the hours got longer so looking forward to one in the next month or so maybe.

I bought a furminator during her last moult and it was fantastic!! I still use it once a week especially while it's been hot but haven't been removing a lot if fur. It did obviously lessen the loose hair flying around on the tiled floors in Belgium - back to carpet now!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I need to buy a furminator then!!

I don't really have a problem with the hair, I mean you can't have a dog and then moan when there's hair everywhere can you? :lol: :lol:

It just seems to have got worse over the last few weeks and just wondered if there was a particular reason for it!

Thanks for all the recommendations!!

Anita & Rueben
xXx

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have two black cats, a black dog and a white kitchen floor. It is the bane of my life! No sooner have I swept it a carpet of black hair reappears before I've barely had the chance to put the broom away. Not a day goes by when I do not curse it... (the floor, not the hair!).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts