Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again :)

Just after a bit more advice please. We've been to the vets tonight with both dogs as they are suffering from diorrhea quite badly. Anyway thats sorted, and now we are looking at changing Molly's (oldest one, 10months) food.

She has always had a sensitive tummy and has never had formed or solid stools. I have tried every food going, but always tried chicken and rice, never fish, so im going to give it a go!

Im just wondering which should i go for JWB or skinners? The vet said to try the JWB, but its soooo expensive!! He said to use it because its better for her because its been reasearched more.

Ive looked at the ingredients for them both..

Skinners (cant c&p it) -

http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/products/field-and-trial/field-and-trial-salmon-and-rice.html

JWB -
Ingredients: Rice, ocean white fish meal, barley, potato protein, whole linseed, vegetable gravy, olive oil, peas, fish oil, alfalfa, sodium chloride, natural seaweed, chicory extract, lysine, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, yucca extract, threonine, JWB special ingredients.

Contains: Min 23% fish, min 28% rice, min 10% barley

TYPICAL ANALYSIS: Protein 24%, oil 10%, fibre 3.5%, ash 8%, omega-3 fatty acids 2.1%, omega-6 fatty acids 1.3%.

They both seem ok to me, maybe the jwb a bit better? but im really not sure!! I dont understand the ingredients, all i know is that she needs hypoallergenic and for sensetive tummys. Which one is going to be best for her?

Thanks for any advice, really want to get this sorted :cry:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
When it comes to sensitive tums, each dog is different. Alfie too has always had problems: JWB went straight through him, on Skinners he is a lot better. As it's half the price, I'd give it a go.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I have no experience of JWB myself but i do use Skinners.

If you think she has sensitivities i'd recommend trying the field and trial Salmon and rice.

Skinners are very helpful and might be worth contacting them for advice :D

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
You have to buy the food that suits your wallet and your dog.

Sometimes though although the price of the bag of food weight for weight may see a big difference, the quantities of the food you feed will be different so one food type may last longer than the other, so the price is neutralised. Does that make sense?

Take the weight of a bag of food - say 15kg, divide it by the amount of food you would have to feed daily as per the feeding guide. That gives you the amount of days your bag of food will last. Divide the price by the amount of days and you have your price per day.

I did this recently and discoverd that Burns the food that I feed, was 60 something pence a day, which worked out less than a lot of the "cheaper" foods!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, JWB works out at £1.72 a day for 25days. Skinners works out at £1.17 a day for 25 days, so a bit cheaper but not dramatically, but skinners is cheaper so i will try that one i think, *think* being the word!

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Only thing i can add is that JWB do a large kibble bag, a bit gimmicky but having tried it I did feel Basil almost chewed rather than hoovered his food. It just looks more meaningful a food for a big dog than teeny bits of kibble :D

·
Registered
841 Posts
id forget both brands personslly as i have a dog with a very sensitive tummy and fed both types. the one thing i did learn is its nothing to do with price or quality of ingredients but what suits your dog nothing more. for my boy autarky chudleys and wagg are foods that do not give him the trots but it really is down to trial and error.
personally i think the premium brands are too rich and sometimes the cheap brands with more fillers in binds better with the sensitive tummy

·
Registered
607 Posts
Amber went through a phase of having a sensitive tum and we tried skinners-he poos were still unpredictable and she had awful wind. We have just changed onto JWB (and am managing to get her to actually eat now) and her poos have firmed up and wind has gone. Depends on the dog!

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Have one with sensitive tum and he is fine on both .................not much help to you sorry :lol:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
sorry no sensitive tums here but I do feed skinners and I find it is really good the dogs look fabulous and have plenty of energy. I wonder how much your feeding because a 15kg bag lasts about 6 weeks for me and costs £14.99 so this works out at about 17p per day per dog(2 dogs)!!!! that is literally pennies, I know your looking at a more expensive brand(duck and/or salmon) but it shouldn't add a whole pound per day surely ??????????????

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe i worked it out wrong, maths is not my strong point :lol:
Code:
I just feed the recommended amount on the bag.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
ok... skinner Field and Trial Crunchy is £17 a bag for 15kg Say you have to feed .... what 400 grams a day.

15000 divided by 400 works out to 37.5 days for the bag.

£17 divded by 37.5 days = 45.3 pence a day.... thats if you feed 400grams a day.

I don't know what the feeding guides are for skinners.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
JWB feeding guide for a 32 Kg lab is 430g a day.

15000 divided by 430g = 34.88days your £15kg bag will last

£43 divided by 35 = £1.22 per day to feed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wilson is 5 months old and we have just changed him from JWB turkey puppy kibble because over the 7 weeks he was on it he never had a hardish poo just soft slop. We had to wash away his poos, could never pick them up.

We decided to have a go on skinners field and trial puppy kibble a week ago. We are still mixing the two foods a week on but his poos are 100% improvement, still soft put perfectly formed and easy to pick up. We have also noticed he has a bit more energy and his coat is looking very shiney. So far we are very pleased with skinners, hopefully when we completly stop the JWB mix his poos wont be soft at all.

The thing i like is that we can mix a bit of wet food with his biscuit in the evening with skinners, but never could with JWB as was just too rich for Wilson.

Give Skinners a go, its cheaper and we have defiantly seen a happier puppy this week.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I think the important part is to lose the Gluten in most complete foods. Thats the culprit for so so many dogs in terms of loose stools over a long period. habit eating is also responsible often where they pick up things that disagree with them as a habit on walks and in the garden. One dog could gulp down half a week dead rabbit, another just couldn't without severe internal rumblings....

Treats too, if a regular treat is used, lets say something really simple even like half a bonio to put them to bed, try knocking that out, not just for a few days but a fortnight or month to see if it makes a difference. many dogs are allergic to the chewbars that come in different colours, 100 in a packet.... for example.

portion sizes too are everything. Just a touch too much and many dogs go loose. Most do not need what the bag says as a portion, infact most pet dogs could probably get by on two thirds of it.... the marketing people just want to sell food after all so upping the daily requirement gets food sold.

I use JWB but am changing simply because I am angry with them over an issue, so actually if its so similar I may look at Skinners. But make sure whatever you change to is Gluten free completely.

Di

?

·
0 Posts
I use JWB but am changing simply because I am angry with them over an issue, so actually if its so similar I may look at Skinners.
Just be aware that if you do swap over, weigh your feed out the first time you feed it. Skinners is lighter weight than JWB (you get about 1/4 more in a 15kg bag), so if you feed by a cup size, you maybe feeding less than you think. :wink:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok thanks. Im definatley going to go for the skinners after the advice on here and speaking to them direct. Fingers crossed it helps if not back to the drawing board!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts