Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Just an update from today. Monty was fine when I left him. I called about half 3 as I had no call to tell me how it had all gone. I was told his op had been done and he was resting Noël was just waiting the post op X-rays to then call me and fill in. I hadnt received a call back by 5 so then called back again. This time I was able to speak to Noël who then told me he was about to start the op as he had been called away urgently. I was livid as you can imagine as was he and was on his was to serve a disciplinary before surgery. I did blaspheme rather a lot at this point Noel then informed me the surgery Monty needs is a lot worse he now has to have a partial elbow replacement on both legs! Just spoke to noël regarding the op all has gone well but as he thought both elbows are bone on bone so had to have the CUE procedure and he will have to go back in in 4 weeks to have the other elbow operated on! This news has devastated us at the thought he has been there all day and would of become quite distressed. We are now looking at 5 to 6months before he will be fit.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Really gutted to hear that but lets focus on the last four words of your post HE WILL BE FIT

That is the main thing

Your love for Monty is obvious and for that you, as for every other owner on here (and elsewhere of the same stamp), are to be commended and have my utmost respect.

That proceedure was explained to us at Fitzs for Judy and does sound a biggy but Mike was very confident 99% who have it make a total recovery.

Give your lad a big pat from us and a lick from Judy when you see him

GWS Monty boy!

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Thinking of You and Monty xxx

As DJGoody says, HE WILL BE FIT - - - expert care, time and a whole lotta love xxx

An a whole lotta kisses :wink: xxx

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Oh I can understand that feeling of phoning and believing the op had been done and then discovering it had not yet. I was not lied to in the same way you were though, I just called at the end of the day to ask how op had gone and found that she was only just being sedated. I felt awful that she had spent all those hours waiting :( The second time I booked op when I was off work and asked to stay with her until she went in to theatre... I was invited to stay though the whole procedure instead and did. :)

Blank that experience from your brain, he was safe and cared for... Many rescue dogs spent their days more horribly and forget the experience, dogs live in the moment.

Your Monty will be ok and will improve, he will look to have fun each day and will manage to make you smile as well. Take each day at a time, cross days off a calendar and time will pass.

Hugs x

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was so truly angry Luna.
Monty will be better for these ops I know. I just miss him so much. Im still up early to take him for his walk before work etc I think I must of seen every hour of the night last night.
Seriously cant wait until he is home.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
At the moment it must be so hard to be positive but the important thing is that Monty will eventually be fit. Hugs to both of you x

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had updates today Monty is still sedated but alert a little more. They are taking bandages off tomorrow to check it is looking ok. Hoping he will eat something tonight but they said it is still early days.
He quite happy and has classical music in his room so he be quite happy with that. Did tell them not to put footie on tv as he dislikes the noise hehe.
Feeling a little better today in ourselves but gonna be a long journey.
Thank you for all your.kind words and messages amazing people.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all
Had a lovely update today. They have had Monty up for a few small walks, but he still wont eat and is being a little bugger with it! He is hopefully coming home on Sunday I seriously cant wait. They are taking the bandages off and we are just waiting to hear how it is looking.

Doing a bit more of a happy dance today.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
They need to tempt him with something REALLY REALLY yummy then! He is holding out for 5* to go with the Classical music performance. Everything sounds very positive. If I were you I would get the house cleaned top to bottom, get lots of little annoying jobs done, I would prep the house for his return with ramps/rugs or anything else he needs to help his recovery so that I could sit and snuggle and do nothing with him once home!

Fingers crossed that he continues progressing well and that the days fly for you x

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bandages are off and wound is looking good. No swelling and no problems with nerves within leg!!!!!!!!!!

Have started the clear up already, off to get carpet for hallway tomorrow and organise front room. Friend dropping off a stair gate to stop him attempting stairs.
They are going in to tempt him with hotdogs tonight hopefully this will work.
Will await update tomorrow and he is becoming more vocal as the day has gone on.
Ahhhh roll on Sunday.
P.s have cracked a vino open to celebrate :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sounds like he is settled and feeling safe and through the most traumatic part. It sounds like a long journey, but you are well on your way now, who better to help Monty through this than you who loves that pooch sooo much. I kind of think we get the dogs we do for a reason, imagine how awful if fluke had Monty with different owners who we not so loving and supportive. You are the best to travel this with Monty, and Monty will just be glad you are.

Are you seeing Monty today? Chewy sends a big lick x x

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many thanks Stormdust. Its true about the owner side of things. I was walking home from work yesterday through the park we walk in and saw so many people we have gotten to known since we have had Lord Monty (his new nickname) and they were all so lovely and also so shocked at home bad his elbows were as they all know how much he runs around chasing squirrels and the other dogs. One person did say why do these things happen to the dogs that are loved and cared for!

We are not able to visit as this would cause him distress but we are awaiting our morning update. Hopefully he has started to eat but they are not too concerned about his eating as he will once he is home and settled again.

:D

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I am so glad I found this board, does your heart proud to read peoples love for their dogs, support from others and great news stories like Montys recovery
The dog (especially lab!) fraternity is a damn good one!

So glad Lord Monty making good progress and long may it continue. He will have a tough couple of months but I get the feeling with the caring owners he has these will fly by and he will be good as new

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could not agree with you more DJ so much support and so much love for the pets.

Have now covered all of front room floor with mats etc, just waiting for carpet shop to open so I can go and rummage through his cast off bins. I am planning on making a montage of various colours in the hallway spelling welcome home haha

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We are so excited we get to bring Lord Diva Monty home today. Roll on 1pm when we can leave! It is going to be the longest morning ever I just know it. But I still have bits to do like clear the garden of footballs and sort out his toys so no balls in the house for him to throw around!

Floors all covered and his favourite dogs (toy ones) awaiting his arrival!

1 - 20 of 131 Posts