Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Our Molly was never registered, however we did get given these when we bought her. I have no idea about pedigree lines but it would be lovely to know any further information about them :)

Molly:

Mum (Meggan):

Dad:

Hopefully you can see them ok

·
Administrator
20,589 Posts
Tell you what this pedigree looks like. It looks like a shooting man has at some time got involved in breeding their dog!

Looking at the sire first, he is solid working with some very nice dogs in there. 22 Field Trials champions showing on a 5 generation pedigree, plus one full champion. The one full champion was Brigburn Zenny who sadly passed away a year or so back. Zenny was bred by Lynda Heron, and was owned (I believe at the end, although I’m sure Lynda will tell me if I’m wrong) by Dave Scott. To become a full champion a dog must become a champion in the show ring and also prove himself in the field. Zenny was mated to Edward Martin’s Sealpin Wren and produced Sealpin Enigma. Personally I love the breeding of Edward Martin, he has a knack of mating working lines to show lines to produce some really beautiful looking working dogs. But of course he had a good start with Zenny. Greenbriar Viper of Drakeshead was bred by Carol Clarke and owned and trialed by the great John Halstead (snr). Thunder Storm was line bread on the fourth line to two wonderful dogs, Field Trials champions Garendon Captain (Bred by David Groom and owned by Steve Jolly) and Lafayette Tolley (Bred and owned by Nigel Mann.

Thunder Storm is very much a Scottish dog, Tom Smith (Craighorn), Billy Steel (snr) (Leadburn) and Edward Martin (Sealpin) are all Scottish breeders of quality working dogs, along with Lynda Heron who shows and works her dogs on the Northumberland fells.

Now to Meggan. Firstly it’s a shame that she could not be registered. Sladgate Sam was but Millie, Heidi, Lou Lou Shadow and as far as I can tell Bentley of Black Shadow were all unregistered. There is no reason why an unregistered dog cannot be hip and elbow scored and eye tested under the BVA scheme the same as any other dog, but it’s a sad fact that they almost invariably are not tested. OK, the tests cannot guarantee the health off the offspring, but it’s the best guide we have. Whether these dogs were in fact tested I have no way of knowing because as there is no record of the dogs there is obviously nowhere to record health results. I’m not against unregistered dogs, my first was an out and out mongrel, but with the cost of registering just £15 or there abouts there is really no excuse. Once a dog is unregistered it means that from hence fourth no offspring can ever again be registered on the pedigree database. Sladegate Sam was registered but was used at stud without any health testing. Not good! His sire and dam were both tested for hips and both had quite reasonable scores, but not elbow scored.

Incidentally Nordek Dal whinnie, Dalwhinnie is all one word, not two as on your pedigree. (Dalwhinnie is a very nice Spayside Malt whisky, I have a bottle of 12 year old waiting for an excuse for me to drink it!) Seasway, Birdbrook, Drakeshead, Garendon, Cynhinfa, Gillygaben and Ropehall are all well known and respected kennels. From those I can check at the back of the unregistered line, Ghillie Lad was from working lines, Liberty Lucy was descended from show lines and Spengretta Kattie was a mix of show and work.

Hope you find this of interest, John

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Thankyou so much, John for all the info - It's certainly a lot to take in and understand but so lovely to know about the family lines. You are so knowledgeable about it all - so amazing!

I'll have to read this out to my mum as she'll be interested too :)

Thanks for that! x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts