Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the beach this morning Molly ate a fist-sized lump of what I think was probably solidified palm oil that's been washed up. (I couldn't get it away from her.) I managed to pick up a few crumbs that dropped and it's squashy like cooking fat.
I've rung the vet but they said there was nothing to worry about! She said to keep an eye on her and if she starts vomiting or having diarrhea to contact them again. I really pushed the vet, querying what she said because of all the news reports about dogs dying, but she said they'd had it analysed and it was very unlikely to cause a problem and to give her her breakfast as normal.
Molly's fine at the moment, completely normal, so I suppose I'll just watch her carefully.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I can honestly say, these 'scares' tend to be over dramafied by things like Facebook. I would agree with your vet and till you see a problem just relax. BUT I do understand when people have waved scares in your face its hard to not panic, I would have done the same.

I am avoiding the beaches here for a couple of months, I must admit, but then I expect there is something *else* bad where I have changed to walking ;-)

Di

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Kaynine, I really hope Molly will be ok. Given the recent press these instances of dogs becoming very ill after eating palm oil substances on the beach, have received, I'm pretty surprised your vet has said there's nothing to worry about. Sorry, I don't wish to worry you unnecessarily, but from what I've read it's far from a facebook rumour (and I'm very careful about what I share on there when you see all sorts of hoaxes spring up).

Di, these cases of dogs becoming ill and worse after eating palm oil substances on the beach have been well publicised on the BBC News sites and others.

One of the BBC News links says anyone finding it should contact their council or dispose of it safely. It can cause problems for dogs if ingested.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Oh i believe that its true that some dogs have been taken ill etc. I know its genuine, just the publicity blows it up out of all proportion to how many dogs would actually be harmed and also how MUCH they ingest. I can imagine most eating a chunk getting the squirts but they would have to eat a great deal for it to genuinely longterm harm them i'm sure. But then I'm cynical having seen the endless scaremongering about different food stuffs over the years :).

I believe palm oil has harmed some dogs, I'm definately not saying its not true, just to be clear. Not walking on the beach I now apparently, according to FB take my chances with leaf mould, alabama rot and canine seasonal illness, along with acorns, slugs and a miriad of other things ;-) ;-)

Di

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/white-lumps-palm-oil-killing-dogs.shtml

Read this, I will also include an excerpt from it;

Outline
Circulating social media message claims that mysterious white lumps of palm oil being washed up on southern UK beaches can be deadly to dogs.

Brief Analysis
The core information in the warning is valid and worth heeding. White lumps of a substance believed to be congealed and rancid palm oil have indeed been washing up on some UK beaches since around October 2013. Dogs who eat the substance can become very ill. Some dogs have died, and media reports suggest that vets have been attending to poisoning cases every day in some areas. However, almost all dogs recover, and the claim in the circulating message that the palm oil is 'killing a dog a day' is unfounded.

However, the claim in the circulating warning that a dog a day has been killed by the palm oil is misleading. Media reports suggest that vets have been attending to palm oil poisoning cases every day for some periods, but almost all dogs make a full recovery.

Think this another case of the MEDIA blowing a story out of proportion again

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Yes, I know how things can get spread around, but as you say, Di, there is truth in this one, unfortunately.

I don't know if there is info out there on the quantities consumed, but very sadly several dogs have died from eating palm oil. I am honestly not trying to over/unnecessarily worry the OP and I am cautious about what info I share, but I imagine Kaynine has already read various articles anyway, hence phoning the vet.

There are various articles online, this Labrador was thankfully okay, but her owner's vet did give her quick treatment to expel what she'd eaten, which is why I was concerned that the OP's vet had just said not to worry :-(
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10993362.Dog_owners_warned_of_Brighton_beach_palm_oil_nuggets_after_Labrador_falls_ill/

I know that some dogs manage to eat all sorts of stuff they shouldn't and are ok, but sadly not all are.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It seems like there is no safe place to walk our doggies. A woods in our area have put posters up on the car park about some mytstery illness that sounds like A. Rot. I'm considering wrapping Chewy up in cotton wool and getting her a treadmill. :(

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pleased to say that Molly is still fine. Eating and drinking normally and has had one normal poo. I must admit I was very surprised at vet's reaction as I expected to be told to take her in for them to give her an emetic. However I'm obviously glad this doesn't seem to have been necessary.

I suppose, as with people, some dogs will react more than others to certain substances. Molly seems to be a tough cookie, as her diet of dead seagulls attests!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Angela - I was grateful for your concern. Initially I was frantic with worry! Very relieved we turned out to be one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Glad she is okay. I have actually seen this in Sussex myself in recent months, a large mass & over a foot in diameter. I even took a sample of it........an absolutely disgusting and rancid smelling substance.

I personally posted re this here in January. I phoned one of the vets mentioned in media who confirmed there had been a number of cases..Not seen anything yet confirming multiple related dog deaths though & I accept there may have been some hype and exaggeration

Di....I see Grove Lodge posted on FB re a number of admissions last month.

No large deposits on beach recently but he was sniffing ground on beach yesterday with near obsessive enthusiasm. I will be keeping him away from high tide line again & for a good few days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts