Labradors Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One is never prepared to say goodbye even when you see it coming.
Monday morning Misty refused her pre breakfast meds cracker. Which has only happened once before. When it happens, it is a bad omen. Then she was unable to negotiate the steps from the garden and then she started panting very pronounced. Wife called me at work to take Misty to the Vet's.

Normal temperature for a Lab is 101-102.5 degrees F or 38.33C-39.17C
Misty was admitted with a fever of 105F (40.4C) During the examination she started having small seizures. I left thinking they would find the problem, give her some meds and all would be well. I gave her a hug and left.

Misty received an IV and was heavily sedated to keep her from panting and was given chilled meds and kept in ice packs to bring her fever down. Instead it went above 106.4F (41.3C) She was in a drug induced coma. Her body started shutting down about 5:30p and we decided to let her go.

In retrospect we believe what we saw today had actually started weeks ago and it was not until it was so pronounced that we understood what we were looking at. It is quite possible the tumor on her pituitary gland grew until it reached the hypothalimus, the gland that regulates body temperature, or she had a blood clot in the brain. The vet said there were signs that whatever happend, happened in the brain.

Misty was maybe four years old when we met. Maybe ten when she died. I am a fortunate man to have learned many small lessons of life from a wonderful Labrador retriever named Misty. God let me hold her leash for six years. Either I have learned all I could from her and it was time for her to move on, or He had a more pressing need for her elsewhere. God Speed old girl. See you at the Bridge.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
i am so very sorry to hear about misty. there are no words to make it better. but there are the memories. my heart goes out to you.
jane.

G

·
0 Posts
Dear Labdad

So very sorry to hear about Misty my thoughts will be with you.

Michaela

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss Labdad.

Glad you had those six years with Misty and were able to give her lots of love and a wonderful life.

Thinking of you at this difficult time.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Labdad,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious girl, words seem to say so little, but i hope they help in some small way to ease the pain that you are feeling.

May the spirit of your lovely girl Misty, stay with you forever. We are all here for you,

Julie & Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
labdad,

I am so sorry to hear about Misty.

My thoughts go out to you.

Brian

·
Registered
364 Posts
Very sorry to hear you and Misty have been parted Labdad, my thoughts and sympathy are with you

Nigel

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm nestled snugly in your heart
And there I will remain
Until one day, upon a time
We'll meet and play again

So sorry to hear your sad news - big (((((hugs))))))) to you and your family and extra big ((((((hugs))))) to Jack who must be missing his mate.
Run free at the Bridge Misty.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Misty

Labdad.....our sincerest sympathies to you all. Tears filled my eyes as I read your post as I know just how hard the loss of a beloved pet is. May your fondest memories comfort you at this saddest of times.

Nicola, Chris & Smudge
X

·
Registered
78 Posts
there are no words that can stop the pain that you and your family are feeling just now. You were blessed to have her, and she was lucky to have found you, you both learned from one another and god must have another purpose for her now. Im certain she will be awaiting her master when you meet her at the rainbow bridge, but until then know that all of the members here hold you close to their hearts and offer our love and sympathy to you and your family.

XXXDawn, Bonnie and WillowMae

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Misty would have been glad to have had you as parents. It is sad when they go but good that they were in our life and gave us good memories.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh Labdad, I am so sorry to hear this news. Your post brings tears to my eyes. I know exactly how you feel. No dog will ever replace your Misty. They are all just so special. It has been four months that I lost my Lab Hunter and I still cry over it every week yet. Love to you and your family at this time. Love, Brenda

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dear Labdad,

I am new to this site, but just wanted to say how sorry I was to read about Misty. Your post brought tears to my eyes and I want to send my heartfelt sympathies to you and your family.

Emma and Holly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts