Labradors Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Their was a retriever on doglost today, which was very quickly listed as reunited.

The owners had come home to a door ajar and assumed the dog was missing, well you would, wouldn't you.

However the dogwalker had come unexpectedly and taken the dog for a walk and somehow the door had been left.

After the relief, would you sack the dog walk for coming on the wrong day and leaving the door?

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Depends on their attitude.

Our window cleaner once let my dog out of the gate (I was in but it only took a second for him to zip off after the gate had been left open.)

He was distraught and came searching with me. So I didn't sack him on the spot, we all make mistakes. The dog was found an hour later - my distress was through the roof as was my relief when he was found.

But if he'd been dismissive or not seemed bothered he'd have been sacked on the spot.

We now have double gates, both locked and clean our own windows at the back, he just does the front ones - so he has lost some business anyway.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
I wouldn't want my dog visitor visiting except when I had asked her to. I wouldn't want anyone taking my dogs anywhere without me knowing exactly where they are! I wouldn't be happy at all with that situation and would look for someone else to be in charge of my dogs and house.

C

·
0 Posts
If she mistakenly got the wrong day I probably would have forgiven her as long as it didnt happen again, expecially if the days she go In regularly change... But the door being left open left the house vunerable to burglary and would have voided house insurance so I would have sacked her for negligence!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Crikey Mandy, if I came home and my dogs were missing with a door ajar then I would assume dog theft :evil: and probably collapse in despair.

If I then found out our dog walker has been and taken said dogs out for walkys and made the big mistake of leaving my home vulnerable to burglars, then I would be totally shocked and really angry that they did not take the necessary care of leaving my home secure of possible theft by the next opportunist that came along an would be devastated that they had been so negligent, I am not a person that is interested in material things at all, but have been burgled and it is the worst thing next to losing someone important to you if by chance the things that have been taken are totally irreplaceable and hold those memories of your life, they are worthless to anyone other than you and it is impossible to recover from their loss.

So my advise to anyone who has a dog walker is to make their responsibilities very clear and not be afraid to ask loads of questions about how important they treat their responsibilities, if they find it unreasonable then let them go and find someone else capable of doing it how you want it done, simple, never take second best where your dogs are concerned.

June

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Luna-Tuck said:
I wouldn't want my dog visitor visiting except when I had asked her to. I wouldn't want anyone taking my dogs anywhere without me knowing exactly where they are! I wouldn't be happy at all with that situation and would look for someone else to be in charge of my dogs and house.
I agree
I would be livid that my front door was left open too.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm a big advocate of second chances and I think everyone is allowed to make a mistake... Is this the first time this has happened, is there anything else in the dog walker's behaviour/attitude that is unsatisfactory, was it just a one off misunderstanding?

When it comes to anyone having access to your house, your dog, your kids, your belongings; trust is vital. Can you still trust that person? If so, I'd give them a second chance, if not, then it's time to move on.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
There are two issues here, first of all the dog walker turned up unexpectedly and secondly, the house had been left insecure. I suppose one of the first things I'd be wondering, had it been my dog and house, would be was this the first time it had happened or could it have happened on other occasions but I simply never found out about it? I'd need a full explanation (and apology) from the dog walker then would take it from there.

A

·
0 Posts
I walk 2 dogs regularly. One for an elderly lady who knows me and another for a couple who was recommended me by the elderly lady. The couple have a webcam in their front window, more to check on the comings and goings to their house and i guess it would deter any thieves/dog theft but i quite like it being there as i often worry that someone could go there after me and i get the blame so its reassuring in a way if that makes sense. I would be furious if someone came into my house when they weren't suppose to and then left my door open, i could forgive getting the day confused and walking them on the wrong day but i'm not sure i could forgive leaving my front door open.

C

·
0 Posts
After this thread it made me laugh because my dog sitter (father in law) let himself in yesterday lunch time to look after Willow... It wasn't until he found Mark and Willow curled up on the sofa watching a film he realised that yesterday was Tuesday, not Wednesday so Mark wasn't working and he wasn't needed.

He ended up staying for lunch anyway but came back today as planned haha!

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
AlfiesMum said:
I would be furious if someone came into my house when they weren't suppose to and then left my door open, i could forgive getting the day confused and walking them on the wrong day but i'm not sure i could forgive leaving my front door open.
Yes. That.

If you came home and your dogs weren't there, you'd be SO worried :( I don't use a dog walker/sitter, but if it was someone who was generally very reliable and had got the wrong day, I guess there's room for a second chance, but to find the door open too. Nope! Imagine if they'd left the door open after they'd brought the dogs back?!

C

·
0 Posts
After this thread it made me laugh because my dog sitter (father in law) let himself in yesterday lunch time to look after Willow... It wasn't until he found Mark and Willow curled up on the sofa watching a film he realised that yesterday was Tuesday, not Wednesday so Mark wasn't working and he wasn't needed.

He ended up staying for lunch anyway but came back today as planned haha!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts