Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First post here!
My fox ref lab Sasha is just over 3 years.
We plan to bread her this season. Everything is sorted with a stud, everything organised.
She is due in season in December. She has had seasons every 5-6 months since she was 6 months old.
1 week ago we noticed her first show. And decided on a stud date of Friday this week.
But.... something strange is happening. Shes stopped bleeding, in fact we only noticed 1 spot of blood. We have even put a white towel on her bed as she is very good at cleaning up after herself. And there is nothing on there.
I have spoken to the stud owner and he is as confused as us. He got us to touch her girl bits to see if her tail goes to the side and it says firmly between her legs. Her vulva did seem swollen last week but now it looks normal. And her nipples are not raised anymore.
And shes not acting like she usually does when shes in season. Last week she was weeing lots and little to mark. But now its one long wee. Little things that make us think that she has somehow stalled in her season.
Anyone else had anything similar? We don't want to waste the stud owners time and we are novices at this. We just now she is different than usual seasons.
Help...please?

Billy.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Hi Billy and welcome to LF.

Noone will be able to give you a definitive answer and the simple answer is yes i have heard of a stalled season..... but it is SO SO rare that frankly I wouldn't even be thinking about it.

OK, every season progresses differently for a bitch and so will throw up 'new things' especially as this time, BECAUSE you want to mate her, you are watching her so hard. Chances are SOME of these things did happen before but because the season had little significance other than being 'something to endure till its done' you didn't notice.

Few bitches bleed heavily every day till they ovulate. Funny enough a bitch i had come into season 7 days ago bled for two days, and then days 3 - 6 not a drop of blood, again, even on a white sheet at night, and then just this afternoon I came home to a couple of tiny drops on the kitchen floor.... and chances are i won't see any more for another few days.

Couple of things: 1) nipples and vulva swelling, tends to happen for SOE during a season, but others come more as a lead up to a season then when they are IN, die down. This may not be normal for HER but its certainly not ABNORMAL for bitches in general.

2) Again in the hormonal lead up to a season, frequent 'marking wee's' are common, much less so once she is in season proper. My day 7 girl was dripping bits here and therefore england first few days, now just empties normally.

3) What COULD of happened was a possibility that the spot or two you sae and took as day one was not her starting her season at all, but infact was just a 'show' that happens now and again with girls. Howwever coupled with the other signs such as her swelling and frequently wee'ing in the build up I would say that is unlikely. But it IS possible she just plain isn't in season and that was just a false start, which has happened to many stud clients over the years if they desperately WANT her to start her season because they are excited about mating her.

4) OK.... I wouldn't get worried at the moment and I would imagine she is just not having a 'bloodfest' of a season. It happens, especially when they cycle fairly quickly like your girl. Sit on yoour hands for a few days. The VAST MAJORITY of labrador bitches are not ready to be mated until at LEAST days 13/14/15.... Ok, there are a tiny winy few ready as early as day 8, and about the same amount ready around day 20/21... but in short, the old thing of day 10 or 11 is really much too early for most girls... so you have PLENTY of time for things to become clearer for you.

5) There is a very very easy answer but it will cost you a few quid. Your vet should offer pregesterone premate blood testing, and if they don't they should be able to take blood for you and send it away to a company called IDEXX which can look at the level of pregesterone in your bitches blood to decide when she is ready for mating. Hand on heart I ask almost all first time bitches who do not have experienced owners for judging this sort of thing to DO this test anyway. Hand on heart i would ring your vet, find out how much they charge for it, its frequently just called premate testing, and should be between about £40 - £70 depending on your area of the country and from vet to vet. And then ignoring their well meaning advice to start testing at about day 8 or 9, I would book your first test for, if possible day 11 or 12 just to see whats going on. It may not show her ready for mating yet, but it will comfort you that indeed she is in season and her levels are approaching 'mateable levels'.... and if it doesn't, you save your petrol, and you save the stud dog owners time and when you have the result, you can make decisions from there as to whether she is, infact even in season.

There is no other immediate way. Time, continue the white sheet and premate testing.

Di

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thanks for such a detailed response. Its all very helpful. I did speak to my vet about the blood test and was quote £200!!!
She is very private about her privates, she does not like us looking at them or going anywhere near her back end. The stud owner wanted a picture of her bits and it was almost impossible. Normally the first thing she does with any attention is roll on her back of a tummy rub (even complete strangers) but not right now.
Her tail is firmly between her legs, its hard to move it.
Still a few days to go. So we shall see!

Thanks again, Billy.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Billy, ring round, there is NO WAY IN THIS WORLD you sshould pay or accept £200 for a premate test... £35 - £70 is absolutely the top whack. Its not a medical proceedure or an illness related thing so ring at least two or three mor evet groups and compare.

If she is sensitive about her back end you could find she is not going to be easy to mate at all.... therefore taking her there absolutely bang on (by way of using a premate test) and not guessing at when she might be ovulating will help her enormously....
Good luck
Di

1 - 6 of 6 Posts