Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when we went out for our morning walk in the dark, I took Milo across the road to the field behind the local leisure centre. It is dark but with light pollution it is just light enough for me to see him off lead. The car park lights come on half way on our walk so makes it easier to see. This morning the leisure centre was opened up and the lights from the windows made it very bright!
Milo did his stuff and I dutifully scooped it up. He then stood stock still in his tracks looking at something, I couldn't see anything, then it dawned on me that he was looking at his own shadow!! He was so fixated! :roll: Every time he moved, it moved, then he stood still looking at it! He then got scared because it was following him and ran to me! :roll: Thankfully for him it "disappeared" and he continued with his walk!

Have any of yours discovered their shadows? Or is it just my daft dog that has!?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Not his shadow, but the first time Cooper saw himself in the mirror he had a little bark and stare... Silly dog!

I read an interesting book called 'do dogs dream' and there is a section in there about whether dogs can recognise their reflection in a mirror and trying to establish if they have self awareness. The answer to that is no, they don't recognise themselves when they see their reflection, but we know that dogs rely more on their nose than their eyes to gather information. So this man collected 'yellow snow' from his dog and moved it around. He found that when the dog smelled other dogs, he spent a while sniffing and collecting info, but when the dog smelled himself, even if it was somewhere he had never been before, then the dog would 'recognise' his own smell and move on quickly, therefore showing that dogs have 'some' level of self awareness. Anyway. This is probably more anecdotal than scientific, but I thought it might be interesting to share!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Ripley hates his reflection in my mums conservatory windows and he saw his reflection in the glass garage side door on Sunday night when the security light came on- he ran straight towards it barking and lunged at the door, when he realised what he had just done he turned round to see if i was watching. Roxy just starred at him as if to say What on earth are you doing!!

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Awwwwww poor Milo being chased by the strange thing!! I'm sure that Luna knows everything about shadows and how they are formed etc etc. I'm sure Tucks woul just freeze, not move and wait for me to go scoop him ip in my arms away from the nasty thing on the floor! :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts