Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody :D
I'm new to this site so apologise if this topic has already been discussed. I have a 8 month old black lab and getting fed on barking heads little big foot at the moment. I am looking to put him on grain free food and thought Millie's Wolfheart looked a good food and also have lots of natural treats, only problem is I read on a few web sites that large bread pups should not be fed grain free food until they are fully grown and others say that it is ok (confused.com lol). Just wondering if anybody on this site has fed their lab pup on this food or if best to avoid grain free until he is fully grown. Help please :?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Grain Free Diet

Hi there I have been meaning to reply to you,like you I was feeding my almost one year old Barking Heads little big foot but wanted to change to a grain free diet,Annie has been on Simpsons premium now for three weeks and have not looked back and have already started to gradually add to my other labrador,as it will be easier feeding the two on same diet! Best of luck

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Complete nonsense about not feeding a non grain food until over a year.
No science as far as I can think of that would be a reason.

I fed Simpsons premium grain free and dogs love it.
I personally don't think labs fall into the. 'Large breed' category in the main anyway. All mine are working lines, but a good size/height and yet all are between 29-30kg. Not a large breed in my head.

Not heard of the food you've mentioned

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help Ilanny2 & Sam :)

Simpsons grain free was another food I was looking into so was good to hear all your dogs are doing well on the food :) Also it will be a lot easier to get a hold off as I have just found out a small pet store near me stocks Simpsons (Millie's I would have to order on line).

The reason I want to change his diet is that when we got him from the breeder he was on Eukanuba but after 4 month his coat felt dry and straw like and started getting lots of dandruff , also he was pooping loads the food just was not agreeing with him :( Changed over to barking heads as does not have corn or wheat in the ingredients has helped a lot , coat softer but still a bit dandruff. Asked my vet about grain free food she said most dogs do well on most foods just trial and error as to what suits the individual but also thought the grain free diet was a bit of a fad :roll: just trying to get a bit more info on grain free diet b4 changing him over 8O

My older yellow lab Fudge is 37kg and this is his ideal weight (we have to keep an eye on his weight as he has arthritis in his elbow) he is a big cuddle monster and thinks he is a lap dog :wink: :roll: :lol: Neo on the others hand I think will be a bit smaller about the 30 kg mark and also another cuddle monster :D

Thanks again for your help much appreciated :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Grain free food

Hi forgot to mention I also add yumega oil to Annie's diet as she was scratching due to flaky skin but seems fine now.

Del x

·
Registered
173 Posts
Grain free

_Sam_ said:
Complete nonsense about not feeding a non grain food until over a year.
No science as far as I can think of that would be a reason.

I fed Simpsons premium grain free and dogs love it.
I personally don't think labs fall into the. 'Large breed' category in the main anyway. All mine are working lines, but a good size/height and yet all are between 29-30kg. Not a large breed in my head.

Not heard of the food you've mentioned
Hi Sam I have pm you on this
Thanks
Del

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I haven't received anything as yet. Will keep my eye out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts