Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coco is producing milk, not a lot but her nipples are larger than normal. Having done a bit of research I know it's about the right time (about 8-9 weeks after her season) and I know it's something that can happen in entire bitches. I've had entire bitches before and have never experienced this. I understand things should go back to normal within about 4 weeks and if there is a lot the vet can administer some sort of medication (don't want to give drugs unless it is absolutely necessary).

Has anyone got any advice or experience of this that they could share with me? :?:

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi Maddie, It seems she is having a phantom pregnancy, quite common. My Megan had a phantom every season of her life, never mated, but got so bad that she used to suck at herself to get the milk. On a normal phantom, it shouldn't pose too much of a problem, the milk will dry up quite quickly, make sure she doesn't start nesting, or get broody. If she does, jolly her out of it, don't let her get attached to any one particular toy, its best to keep her mind as active as possible. However, if she does not show any signs of the milk drying up, or is sucking herself to produce more, ask your vet for Galastop. This acts very quickly and milk should dissappear within a couple of days. I have had to use this on Megan a few times, with no side effects whatsoever. :D

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kaye. Her behaviour seems quite normal apart from the odd scratching at her bed at night and once I yell at her :lol: (I'm a very light sleeper so I try to make her stop asap!!!) she stops. No toy fetish but if I get up from a chair or sofa she will immediately sit in my spot which is annoying and amuses MOH no end. She is not bothered by the milk but I will keep an eye on her.
Thanks for your advice. :D

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
As Kay says, Looks like a phantom. It could clear up on it's own, could need some Galastop, or it could become more serious.

Trouble is, these things can, once started, get worse as the bitch gets older. I've had problems with Anna for the last three seasons now, each time getting worse. The last season was at Christmas and by March Anna was really having a serious phantom. Galastop helped her no end and I decided to get her spayed. The appointment for spaying was a week ago last Monday. Unfortunatly when I took her in she was STILL producing milk! After another week on Galastop I took her back to the vet for another attempt at spaying last Monday but yet again she is still in milk! The problem for me is that as I'm picking my puppy up on Tuesday it's now too late for spaying! It would not be a good idea to it now because if the puppy started to pull her about while she was feeling very tender it could ruin the relation between them before it even started. I'll just have to keep a close eye on things and try again after the next season.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John, I have read this too. It was only her fourth season. I shall keep a very close eye on her. It's only if you knew her well that you would notice her nipples are bigger and only because I squeezed them (how cruel does that sound :oops: ?) that I noticed the milk droplets. When you say "in milk" is it really noticable or just if you squeeze the nipples?

Timings never right is it? I suppose I had thought about having her spayed but now she's just blossoming with her agility and having her spayed would mean a long break. Maybe over the summer if all goes well as it gets far too hot to run around.

Tuesday eh? How exciting! A new puppy. No I can quite understand why now you'd want to wait. It's not worth jeopardising those all important first weeks together. You may have mentioned this and I've missed it but are you getting a boy or girl and what colour?

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
It's not really noticeable at this time. As with your Maddie, just a droplet. But even that COULD give you problems, not likely but worth keeping an eye open for. If you find the breast swelling and feeling warm, thats the danger sign. Get her to the vet straight away and they will soon sort it but left to it's self and she will soon be in great discomfort.

The puppy is a yellow bitch. She will be 7 weeks old on the day. :D

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JohnW said:
The puppy is a yellow bitch. She will be 7 weeks old on the day. :D

Regards, John
How exciting! Roll on tomorrow eh? :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update...
Coco is still producing milk so we've been to the vets and got some Galastop. Hope it works. It's in liquid form. The vet was not too happy about prescribing it as he said it is very expensive €32.00 but agreed it was the best thing. Let's hope it does the trick!
He also said she was "perfect" - in weight (29.75kg) and looks which made me very happy! :lol:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Hi Nicola

Glad to hear you have got treatment for Coco fingers crossed that it does the trick.

It does make you feel great when the vet says they are the perfect weight.

margaret

1 - 9 of 9 Posts