Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took Bonnie to her first check-up at the vets we were given some free worming tabs, these were 'Milbemax'

I have never heard of them before, as I have always bought & used drontal with Bailey with no problems

Just wondered if anyone else uses this brand?
After a quick internet search is seems that I need a prescription to order Milbemax online

The vet mentioned that they kill heartworm, does that mean that Drontal doesn't do this? And what is heartworm anyway?

Sorry, I seemed to have asked quite a few more questions than I set out to :oops:

Just after opinions really, I gave Bonnie the Milbemax and she has been fine, but Bailey & the cats always seem fine with drontal

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Hi Em
Lottie has always had Millbemax and has no problems. I get a card reminder from the vet every 3 months. I've never used Drontal.
Hope Bonnie and Bailey are both ok?
Best wishes,Barbara x

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I have never used Milbemax because I found out from a collie rescue that it can cause real problems for some collie types and with a collie I figured it's best avoided here!

I use Drontal at the moment - it doesn't do anything for Heartworm as far as I'm aware.

G

·
I wanted to use Milbemax as that is what Tracy (breeder) had used but my vets had never heard of it :roll: , so I went back to good old Panacur. If I can't get Milbemax online without a prescription, I might try Drontal next time though, as it's so much easier than having to worm them over 3 days.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I used Milbemax on my two litters this yr and I have to say I was very impressed.
There seems to be thought amoungst our vets that the worms become immune to wormers and flea treatments of the same brand used on a regular basis, I always used drontal but now I follow this routine.

Month one......Drontal and frontline
Month three....advocate
Month four......Milbemax and frontline
Month five......advocate
Month six.......Drontal and frontline

and I just repeat this all the time.

Advocate is the only product that covers for lungworm, which again our vets are finding more and more of a problem. You wouldnt sometimes know that the dog had it, but if he/she went in for a major op and they had lungworm they wouldnt clot. So using advocate at least three times a yr will prevent them from getting it.

I also used all 3 types of wormers on my pups, and they never had upset tums at all.

Hope this helps.

Trace x

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I use drontal but have been thinking about milbemax. Our vets have an offer on at the moment.

Milbemax isn't licensed to cover lungworm (only advocate is) but it does cover it according to many vets (presumably they just haven't bothered to pay for the licence yet).

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Hi Sarah, I have had to look into these products in the last 6 months because one of my dogs showed up to have hookworm.....which I had never heard of. Milbemax covers one type of hook worm, but Drontal covers all types. I wish we had one product that covered the lot to make life easier :roll: but again would the worms and fleas then become immune to it...??

Trace x

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tjlab said:
I used Milbemax on my two litters this yr and I have to say I was very impressed.
There seems to be thought amoungst our vets that the worms become immune to wormers and flea treatments of the same brand used on a regular basis, I always used drontal but now I follow this routine.

Month one......Drontal and frontline
Month three....advocate
Month four......Milbemax and frontline
Month five......advocate
Month six.......Drontal and frontline

and I just repeat this all the time.

Advocate is the only product that covers for lungworm, which again our vets are finding more and more of a problem. You wouldnt sometimes know that the dog had it, but if he/she went in for a major op and they had lungworm they wouldnt clot. So using advocate at least three times a yr will prevent them from getting it.

I also used all 3 types of wormers on my pups, and they never had upset tums at all.

Hope this helps.

Trace x
That's a really good idea.....I hadn't thought of that :wink:

It can be a bit confusing as to which product combats which type of worm, and as I can easily get Milbemax from my vet, and drontal online when I order the frontline I could easily do the same :D

Sounds like a plan, I will write it all in my little 'to do' book, I have a terrible memory at the moment :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Thanks Trace, I don't know anything about hookworm. It is so blimmin confusing!

What's the benefit of advocate in your regime? :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We use Milbemax and have no complaints. Roo is terribly sick on Drontle and so we were given Milbemax by the vets. It is a slight pain having to get it on prescription, but our vets give us four tables a time which last 6 months (two tablets every 3 months).

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
My vet advised me to use Milbemax wormer and Frontline flea / tick treatment in the summer, and Drontal wormer and Advocate flea / heartworm in winter. Advocate doesn't do ticks but they aren't a problem in the winter. Milbemax has some heartworm cover for the summer. It really depends on the worms prevalent in your area.

Luckily my boys have had no adverse reactions, even when I mis read the dosage and gave them far too much Milbemax this time :oops: (I sat up most to the night in case they were ill - they slept blissfully and were totally fine!!)

Katy

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Luna has (in Trace's presentation styleeee!)

Month 1: Stronghold (covers fleas, heartworm and hookworm I think) and Drontal
Month 2: Stronghold
Month 3: Advocate (to counteract lungworm risk)

Once I've seen ticks trying to hop a lift home I'll give Luna Frontline too. Since moving back to UK from Belgium haven't spotted any ticks!

Because we entered UK from Belgium in April and August the vet gave Luna tapeworm treatment and Advantix. Which has made me think that maybe I should Drontal her because that wasn't what the vet gave her. Off to check out Passport to see what she had.

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
Many vets push milbemax, could that possibly have anything to do with the fact it's prescription only? Or am I just a bit cynical?

In fact no one wormer covers everything. Such as Drontal and Panacur cover eveything MOST dogs are ever likely to get, but of course, there is always the unexpected. But I am a little concerned about giving cocktails. I did have a word about it to a vet and was told that it should be safe using stuff from the same drug house, but she was a little concerned mixing from different manufacturers because then would not have been tested together.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Tracey, that rotation seems like a really good idea.

It's funny cos I always rotate the wormers I use on Blue because they come in different chemical groups, and worms can become resistant to one group.

But I had never thought of it applying to Tarka, but commonsense dictates that it would.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
" Many vets push milbemax, could that possibly have anything to do with the fact it's prescription only? Or am I just a bit cynical? "

To be honest John, my experience is somewhat different. Yes Milbemax is perscription only but is FAR cheaper than Drontal even over the counter. So they make a lot less from it. Infact my horrible experience was that a vet pracice I used changed from Drontal to Milbemax, which i found absolutely fine, and then because they realised how much cheaper it ws with little profit in it, swapped BACK! I was furious!

Di

1 - 20 of 25 Posts