Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I've heard alot of mixed views on the subject of microchipping recently, and wondered what you all think about it.

Personally speaking, i think it's a great thing to get your lab microchipped for the obvious reason being if they go missing, they can be easily identified, but just how effective are the chips?

Our lab Bradley is microchipped, our breeder got him done before he came to us. A couple times in the past, when we have visited the vet - the vet has had a difficult job locating the chip, and they have told us it has been done too low down.. :? It can be read though - which is a good thing.

What are your views on the subject?

Is you lab/s microchipped?

I'd be interested to hear your views.

Thx

Julie

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi Julie

I got Milo chipped purely because I was so worried about him going missing. The vet did say that it should usually be located somewhere around the back of the neck, but because labs have loose skin, it can sometimes move around. They said this is completely normal. Thankfully, there's never been any need for me to use it, but I guess you never know, and that's why I think it's worth it. You don't want your lab being taken/lost and then looking in hindsight wishing you had got him/her chipped.

Col x

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ozzy's chipped because I need to know that if he goes missing there is a sure fire way of identifying him. Our vet scans all microchipped dogs when they go in for their Vac's so you can check whether the chip is still readable.

Vicki

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Buster was chipped when he was 10 weeks. I think they are a very good idea,but after reading about the chips moving about I'm going to get him scanned next time I go to the vets to get him wormed.

Kev

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Both mine have UK chips and French tattooes (in their ears). Personally, I prefer the tattoo. It's easier for the general public to see, can't be got rid of (unless you chop off an ear) and does not move around. In France the law says all dogs must be reigstered on a central database and identifed so you HAVE to have one or the other.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Bailey was micro chipped at 11 weeks, he was very brave ( the needle was huge) and didn't cry at all :p

Think i may do the same as Kev and get it read next time i'm at the vets as it hasn't been read since he had it done!!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
rosze is microchipped she was when i got her

brandy and charlie are not chipped

i dont think there is 5 mins were my dogs are alone long enough for anyone to steal them..lol..

as for rosze when she does a runner on the beach im glad she is chipped just incase she doesnt come back..lol..

·
Registered
54 Posts
scooby was chipped on the second injection i did not watch scared of needles ouch he did not feel it but i did have also got him pet tagged with missing pets bureau which also have his dna on file so if he is lost they will find him with being microchipped and his details being on the bureaus list but also if someone pinches him and says it is his i will have dna to proove he his mine there are loads of things starting up to make dogs a bit more secure from dog napping but after reading some posts will take him to the vets to see if his chip has moved

thanks chelle and scooby x :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
whiterose said:
scooby was chipped on the second injection i did not watch scared of needles ouch he did not feel it but i did have also got him pet tagged with missing pets bureau which also have his dna on file so if he is lost they will find him with being microchipped and his details being on the bureaus list but also if someone pinches him and says it is his i will have dna to proove he his mine there are loads of things starting up to make dogs a bit more secure from dog napping but after reading some posts will take him to the vets to see if his chip has moved

thanks chelle and scooby x :D
Hey, my Scooby has also been microchipped and logged with the Missing Pets Bureau! It was fun trying to get a sample of his DNA - he was trying to eat the swab stick :lol:

·
Registered
880 Posts
vogue is chipped and richey is too, when he was out for the op to be done, we chipped him too.
I think that chipping is a very good idea and the more people that get it done the more chance its going to be picked up, however the scanners need to be more reliable and the practice of scanning all over the body ought to be more widely adhered to.
Anna

·
Registered
880 Posts
another thing

it is the law to wear a collar with a tag regardless of if the dog is mircochipped and so it should be a secondary thing, what we really need is dog gps (global positioning system) a little bulky methinks!

anna

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Both of my 2 are micro chipped - Charlie was done at 12 weeks and Izzie was done 2 days after we picked her up. Its better to have piece of mind, they also were the red tags asking for their chip to be scanned, and their dog tags with our surname and phone number on it have Please Scan my Microchip on the back - better to be safe than sorry :)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

We got Smudge microchipped when he had his second set of injections at 12 weeks.

The vet said Smudge would be frightened when he saw the needle but he didn't bat an eyelid (had to pick Chris up off the floor though! lol!).

All the best,
Nic
X

1 - 18 of 18 Posts