Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I hear that there was a free clinic at Crufts this year for microchipping your dog, to encourage dog owners to act responsibly and take preventative action in case their dog goes missing.

Have just been looking through the statistics and approximately 10 million missing pet cases are reported each year in the UK.

However, in 2003, 98 per cent of lost microchipped pets were reunited with their owners. :)

What do you think of microchipping?

I've attached a poll. :)

Julie

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
hi julie

rosze is microchipped when i got her i have only just received her certifacte with my name and addy on it :) its a good idea like you say the majority of dogs chipped do get return home :)
on the other hand brandy is not chipped she is 6yrs old now a bit overweight and going grey on her muzzle..lol..(my baby geting on a bit)
we never got her chipped when she was young at the time we couldnt afford it i often think is she to old to be chipped now? i dont think anyone would steal her but then again im not sure i think they would go for the pup not the older dog

so im yes 1 no 1..lol..

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Julie thats fabulous.... sadly we do not have that facility here... i'm gonna vote even if non resident of UK coz i truly feel its great...

Thanks Vidhya

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi claris...

Julie says its a free clinic.. and no harm in chipping brandy (especially if its free) :wink: .... what if i fine day rosze decides to take brandy for a walk :wink: ....

Smiles
Vidhya

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I think microchipping is a very good idea, as it is not just dogs and cats that are benefiting from this as we had are horse micro chipped too.She was always dumping me on the floor and charging off back to the stables 8O :oops: :lol: (silly mare! :lol: ).

As for Crufts, seem that only the dogs showing would have benefited from the free chipping as there were hardly any non showing dogs there. I don't blame them too as I would not have taken my dog as it was heaving! The poor dogs that did get dragged along were being trod on and bumped into as nobody was bothering to look for the poor buggers! :(

Cristina

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Julie,

Harvey is micro-chipped, it was one of the first things we did when we got him home :)

I thinks it's a brilliant idea - my two cats are chipped too!

Best wishes

Fay

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
max was done at 11 weeks at the same time as his jabs. it was easier to hang on to him at that size and get it all done in one go :lol:

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Sorry, I'm going to be a wet blanket here.

I'm not happy with microchipping. Even now the chips DO still move, whatever claims are made to the contrary. Also there is compatibility problems between different makes. We took a reader to eye testing so we could scan the dogs prior to having their eyes tested and found that quite a few dogs could not be read and also in a large proportion the microchip was not where it was originally positioned. We found them as low as the elbow and also in some cases way back along the back of the dog.

Yes, they should be a good thing but I'm afraid they have a long way to go yet.

Regards, John

·
Registered
244 Posts
I will always get my dogs microchipped. If they should ever get lost anything that might help bring them back is worth it. The problem of them moving arises from incorrect placement of the chip in the first place, rather than being a problem with the chip itself - so IMO more training is needed, though better technology would obviously be good! Even when they are placed wrongly and move, it's rarely a problem, and the vets I know who scan dogs for chips from time to time say they always run the scanner over the whole body just in case.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm going to have to say its a good thing having been on the receiving end of their benefit recently.

My two came microchipped and I always had name tags and numbers on them as well. In Jan their name tags both got lost and I was in the process of replacing them. Two days later my dogs decided to go wandering round the neighbourhood. They had found a moveable slat in the fence.

They were found by the dog warden and fortunately were able to be traced back to me. For the record its £75 per dog and as I had them chipped and it was the first time they said they'd only charge me £75.

My boys had a great adventure and I had a huge fright but thank goodness for microchipping!

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dylan was chipped while having his injections,and on his card it does tell us exactly where his chip is,not much use if he has done a runner,which luckily for me he never has been further than the end of the cul-de-sac, playing ball with the kids or weeing on the gardens,but dylan being dylan i would not be surprised if went for a roam one day,i have had to replace the fencing on one side but theres allways the other side to chew,lynne+dylan.

·
Registered
280 Posts
We got Sasha chipped for only £12 as our vet was holding a promotion at the time. good in theory, but identichip then make their money from admin fees when you move house etc!!

I got it for piece of mind really, as you do here of pets being stolen. When at home, Sasha is never in a position to get out of the garden, as the fencing is too good, and I never leave her on her own anyway. I always know where she is.

If people arent keen on microchipping, It just means you gotta keep a better eye on them. This isnt the worst idea in the world. I like it that I always know where Sasha is anyway - I dont know what I would do if I lost her - microchip or no microchip!!

I cant believe they still charged you for collecting your dogs Amanda - I think they should charge the irresponsible owners that just let their dogs rome the neighbourhood, but not the ones who do actually make an effort to keep their dogs safe.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hi Julie - both Shadow and our cat Rosie are microchipped. Our local RSPCA centre was offering them for just a donation, so had them both done and everyone was a winner - the rspca got lots of donations and both are 'children' were chipped.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
how daft of me not to think about my 3 cats i never thought about it and there more prone to wandering and getting lost..lol..more expense..lol..

though sometimes ian might say he wishes they would disappear when they decide to scratch on the walls and carpet..lol..

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi John
I do not think you are a wet blanket. As you say in principle it is a good thing, but it has a very long way to go.
I knew of a friend's dog that went missing was chipped, but the warden's reader did not pick the chip up. She was rehomed but fortunately the people who took her, went to their vet to have her checked over, and she was rescaned and low and behold there was the chip.
But the chips are also known to move round the body, so it does need improving.

·
Registered
669 Posts
antheawad, thats exactly what I thought! After they kindly 'only' charged me £75! I wasn't being irresponsible they were just sneaky! (I only found out about the fence when Charlie got stuck it in that night because he is too cuddly :lol: :lol: )

And to top it off they called me at 3pm and said if you want your dogs you have to come and pay in Woolwich (I work in central London and live in Charlton). And then I had to go to Dartford to collect my dogs. All by 5:30pm if I wanted them that day! I couldnt believe it. Anyone knowing London knows that travelling around here isnt exactly quick AND to top it off I don't own a car. Fortunately the lady from PetPals who occassionally walks the dogs was able to drop everything she was doing and take me there. We made it only by 6pm but I had called the kennels and said don't you dare leave until I get my boys back. I am much more vigilent on the fence now. I thought it was strong but they are too clever. One tiny slat.....easily unnoticed!

They did get neutered about 4 days later so maybe they figured out that there is a lot to lose if you go 'walkies' on your own. 8O :lol:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Amandajv, small world - I live just down the road from you in Greenwich (near Maze Hill)! :D

Do you ever walk the dogs in Greenwich Park? That and Oxleas Woods is our usual haunt.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
It really is a problem Megaloo. We know at least some of the chips which we could not read were in fact working because the dogs belonged to friends and were later tested on a different scanner and prooved to be OK. Another which we had read would not read on the second scanner!!!

Any form of health testing is only as good as the honesty of the people concerned. having been involved with health testing for years I can tell you several ways of cheating the system. I'm not going to for the obvious reason! 8O Microchips COULD help so much if only they could be depended on. Combined with DNA profiling and we could have a foolproof system! But we are not there yet!

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Julie

We got Smudge chipped at the same time as he had his final jabs. The needle was massive but he seemed to be distracted enough by the treats on the table - Chris nearly fainted though! lol!

John, I didn't realise there were the problems you mentioned with the process and I do hope that a better system is put in place to counteract this because I do feel it is a very worthwhile thing to do.

All the best,
Nicola.

PS. I believe our vet charged us about £18.00.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Swillsy

We're practically neighbours! We've actually only ever taken them to Greenwich park once. We have to catch a bus there which isnt fun with two dogs! We said we're going to make more of an effort to take them to Greenwich park this summer and we'll just catch the train Charlton to Greenwich. Be easier. I definitely need a car! A big one!

I usually walk mine along the river or the huge park in Charlton.

Havent heard of the park you mentioned.

You'll have to look out for two choc labradors in Greenwich park!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts