Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have signed too.
When I got Cooper microchipped the vet did scan him all over first, which I thought was great, but it's really important that everyone does so, i.e. any new vet registration, shelter, etc, otherwise what's the point? I worry enough that Cooper's chip has migrated and might not be found if he is lost, I expect people to at least try and scan him!

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Kiki_Dollywood said:
I worry enough that Cooper's chip has migrated and might not be found if he is lost, I expect people to at least try and scan him!
Yes - I would be happy to be charged to cover costs. I'm sure all caring dog owners would be.

·
Registered
385 Posts
When I took Homer for his check up the vet swiped the scanner across him as we chatted generally about his health etc. this took less than a minute and appeared to be her normal practice. She confirmed it was there and working and straight on to check eyes, teeth and so on. Although she was not the vet who inserted the chip this was at the same practice which he has been registered with since he was 8 weeks old.

Why wouldn't you? 8O

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
It is worrying that places don't scan - and also, that the chip isn't legal proof of ownership anyway. I do support microchipping, all my dogs are chipped, I even have my own scanner so I can check the chips are still working when I want to, but I am not in favour of making it compulsory, especially when parts of the system are such a blimmin' mess.

I frequently read of dogs who have been found straying, are chipped, but either the chip wasn't registered, the people can't be contacted, or they say they sold the dog on and don't know who to/don't have details/don't want the dog back themselves etc. There are also cases where the original owner, who had the dog chipped in their name, is having to fight to get their dog back because the dog was found and rehomed to someone else, who also wants to keep the dog :-( I've also read of dog wardens not recommending chipping until a dog is six months old - so when a four month puppy goes missing, that's really helpful. Not.

Of course there are also many wonderful occasions where a dog IS happily reunited with their rightful owner, because of the microchip. Reunions which I think would be highly unlikely to take place if the dog wasn't chipped. Like the little Staffie who recently turned up at my local rescue (who do scan, thankfully) and has been reunited with her family after being missing for nine years! That's why mine are chipped. But the system really needs a big overhaul.

We need for the chip to be proof of ownership and for those who should be scanning, to always be scanning.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could not agree more Angela, think that is why Brucie and his daughter have started this campaign.

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Signed :D

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Administrator
20,488 Posts
The whole chipping business is a mess! Amy was microchipped when hip scored at 14 months old, she is now 8 years old and my vet has never scanned her! (I know the chip is working because I check it at each eye testing so 3 times a year.) But at every eye testing we find at least one dog with a chip which has failed. We also have three different scanners and find some chips can be read by one but not another scanner so not all chips are 100% compatible with all scanners. Of course we have no idea what chip a dog has, also, unless the dog is very young no idea how old the chip is. (Although the owner could probably tell us the age)

Please do not rely solely on the chip, a collar with tag isstill your first line of defence.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
When I got Millie she was almost 2 years old - I took her to my vets for a check up and to register and they didn't even scan her. She was chipped and registered to her previous owner - but what's the point? If I had stolen her at no point in the last couple of years would she have been returned to her owner due to the chip :(
I definitely think that vets should scan all new patients being registered and check the registered owner as standard.

Angela

·
Registered
176 Posts
From the 1st April 2013 it became compulsory to chip and register your dog in NL. We also have to pay dog tax of 113 EUR per year to our local government, they do check up on you as well ! The fine is 100 EUR for unregistered dogs, it may well increase from what I understand. Where I live stray dogs are not a problem but I live in a really small village in the sticks but I can guess in a more populated area it may well be. the Dutch are really trying their best to crack down on the registration of household pets.

Thor's chip is scanned every time we are at the vet, just to make sure all is okay, it's still in his left shoulder, it takes seconds and I'm happy with this as I know it's working :)

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Aretoo said:
We also have to pay dog tax of 113 EUR per year to our local government, they do check up on you as well ! The fine is 100 EUR for unregistered dogs, it may well increase from what I understand.
It seems wrong that it costs more to pay the dog tax than the fine, I can imagine that people would take the risk on that.

The annual tax is quite expensive and if you have several dogs it could be crippling. However, if it means that dog ownership is properly policed and reduces irresponsible ownership/breeding then it has got to be worth it. The money it raises should go towards policing the system and helping rescue centres. The UK dog licence which ended in the 80's just wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sorry I should have said the fine is then added to the dog tax you should have paid. For us it would be 213 if we had not registered. But we're relatively cheap here, Rotterdam is the most expensive in NL I think it's 150 per dog !

NL is the land of taxation, we are taxed on everything up to the hilt, so although it's seems a lot people are used to it sadly :( It is the most expensive place I have ever lived !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts