Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone's brains I can pick on this.

I don't chip myself, although if I get the opportunity would like to change this at some point if anyone can recommend any courses - but for now

It is my intention to Chip the forthcoming litter before they leave for their new homes - obviously, if I could chip myself this wouldn't be a problem because I could do it just before they leave - BUT

With regards to chipping a whole litter - what is the best way to go about it (clearly not my rather expensive vet if I can help it) - and in terms of ID'ing the pups to chip afterwards - would I need to resort to 'distinguishing features / tippex / nail varnish on the bum' type and marking the associated paperwork as I tend to do now IF / WHEN we are in a situation where a pup is picked earlier than when they leave.

I am guessing scanners are rather expensive to buy?

Any thoughts / experiences welcomed

PS: I will not be putting any type of coloured ties around puppies necks to ID them and do not intend to go this route - so thats out

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrsm said:
Just a thought Sue contact Mhari/Velvetine she microchips so would have all the info you need :wink:
:D I know Mhairi chips - so would have all the info - but unless she fancies a trip to sunny (NOT) Wales - there is only so much I can do - as I am not a trained 'chipper' myself atm - I need to find out how others have dealt with it in the same position :D

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It's definitely more easy to get your litter chipped if you're micro chipper yourself as you can do it when most convenient, you're only paying the price of the chips plus you will have a scanner 8)

I chipped my previous litter and it was certainly much easier when people went to pick their puppy as it was just a question of scanning them and put the number down next to their name. If you don't have access to a scanner then you would really need to make sure that chip and paperwork matches up so I guess you still would need to colour code the pups. The implanter would do the registering/paper work so he/she would need the names and contact details of the owners before the pup/chip can be registered.

As for the price, I would ask around - have you got any local boarding kennels near you or dog grooms? many of the employees would have done the courses so they might be able to do you a discount?

Natasha

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
can i ask why you want to chip before they leave? - just curious and nosey :lol:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Contender said:
The implanter would do the registering/paper work so he/she would need the names and contact details of the owners before the pup/chip can be registered.
When I got Clover - all the litter were registered to the breeder to be transferred out (although I am conscious there is a cost attached to this for the new owner - which all in all was STILL less than using my own vet to chip 8O ) - so can completely understand the logic of putting the new owners details if that is permissable - the only problem with that then of course is the timing of picking pups - when you get them in to do it - and when the pups leave - last time because of Christmas and new owners commitments, this stretched over a good three weeks

Hmmpph - methinks I need a training course and fast (with no time to do it in) - with my first litter I did try to go the tattoo route, and that was a complete non-starter - I spent months trying to get hold of the Welsh co-ordinator - only to discover their details were wrong on the website and the national register people thought this was hilarious and completely NOT their problem :twisted: - needless to say I was totally unimpressed - and wouldn't bother again 8O

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
_Sam_ said:
can i ask why you want to chip before they leave? - just curious and nosey :lol:
a) it's a requirement of the Accredited Breeder scheme to permanently ID your puppies

b) because I believe all dogs should be permanently ID'd in some way - and so many new puppy owners seem to think it might 'hurt' the dog so put it off

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I didn't realise about the accredited breeder bit... is that new?

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
_Sam_ said:
I didn't realise about the accredited breeder bit... is that new?
No - it's used to be a requirement to DNA profile all breeding stock and puppies once you had been on the scheme for 12 months - but they downgraded this to permanent ID. (edited to change to breeding stock only - but it still doesn't change my own view or my questions)

Personally, I think DNA profiling ALL dogs would be a damn good idea - and would totally put the boot into the theft situation because proof of ownership would be fully conclusive.

==================

Thanks Jac - needless to sauy - if that registryis up to date - unless I can find someone coming this way for a show - or take the whole litter to the 'chipper' - by the time I've covered travel expenses - it could well be cheaper to use my own vet - how depressing :(

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Sue

I hate to disagree, but I checked on this before becoming an Accredited Breeder because I am one of those awkward folk who will not microchip small pups and it is not a requirement for pups. It is a requirement for all breeding stock under the scheme.

I am having to change things slightly for my next litter as a few are going to Europe, but I still will not microchip young pups unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I stand corrected then Jill and clearly misunderstood.

- I know when I initially looked into the scheme, the requirement for DNA Profiling was there - it's a pretty pointless exercise DNA profiling the parents if you don't DNA profile the pups 8O

Looking through some literature from the breed clubs on the ABS and Chipping most certainly falls very high on the agenda for the ABS.

Why won't you chip young pups? Mine have been done from 4 to 8 weeks and apart from my (almost) veteran - we've never had a problem with chips moving / causing problems etc - and it gives some peace of mind - in fact, last time, a few of my puppy buyers were quite perplexed that I wasn't chipping the pups - so have decided to bite the bullet this time.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
It all boils down to personal experiences. Your experiences of young pups being microchipped have obviously been good, mine have not.

I do not microchip until around 6 months old unless they are having a health test done before then!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Sue I think you will find that scanners aren't as expensive as you might think. I bought one before I came out here as I was led to believe French vets didn't use them so I needed to be able to ID my dogs for their passports. At the time it was about £100 which for 2 dogs seems extravagent but for use with whole litters seems a relatively small expense. I'd let you have mine but someone who shall remain nameless (COCO) sent it flying across the kitchen and it broke. I took it apart and they are very simple inside. Somone with a bit of electronic nouse could probably knock one up.

Here, this is where I got mine from. The price hasn't changed much in 6 years!

http://www.dogsaway.co.uk/main/price_list.htm

As it happens French vets do have scanners as it's now a legal requirement here that pets have chips/permanent id BEFORE they are sold.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maddie said:
As it happens French vets do have scanners as it's now a legal requirement here that pets have chips/permanent id BEFORE they are sold.
Thanks Nic - TBH - i am a loss to understand why it isn't here - as I said above about the DNA profiling - what on earth is the point in profiling the parents if you don't profile the pups - someone could still technically pass off the offspring from A&B as that of profiled C&D - who would be any the wiser if those pups are then never bred from ? :(

I appreciate that permanent ID doesn't fall into the same level as DNA profiling - and in truth - also as said above, I was keen on the idea of tattooing the whole litter - but the tattoo people themselves wrecked that idea :(

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
If it helps any I chipped a litter at 5 weeks once and would never again... and chipped one at 7 weeks and it was a huge amount less stressful for them if their vocal reaction was anything to go by.

I don't usually chip a litter before leaving, it was just because I was Optigen litter testing them.
Di

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Diana said:
If it helps any I chipped a litter at 5 weeks once and would never again... and chipped one at 7 weeks and it was a huge amount less stressful for them if their vocal reaction was anything to go by.
Thanks Di - I wouldn't do them ultra early anyway - would be looking more to the 7/8 week mark - as all my pups go to the vets for a check before leaving - will have to see if I can twist their arm to do me a deal if all else fails - I had a couple jabbed and chipped last year that were going late at the same time I did Bronte - and that was easy thanks to gender and markings :D

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
When I got Fife 10 years ago the whole litter was chipped just before they were homed. The breeder was on very friendly terms with the vet who did him a good price and loaned him a scanner for a week or two until the pups went to their new homes. Sue, how good natured is your vet?!! :roll: :lol: Although I must tell you that Fife's chip no longer works, and he had to have another one inserted. But,as I say, he is now over 10 years old, so maybe it wore out. 8O Both Ash and Oak were chipped shortly after I got them, with no ill effects.

Personally if I bought a pup I would be happy to pay the extra price for having the microchip in place. There is no reason that the breeder should bear the extra cost.

I hope you find a simple solution Sue

Katy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts