Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the bottle it says shelf life is 6 months once opened, do you usually dump it if there is some left and the date has run over the 6 months.

I could ring the vet and ask, but somehow think they will say it is of no use once its gone passed the date.

June

·
Administrator
20,497 Posts
I let it run for another month of so, figuring that they always arr on the safe side, but I dont go much beyond that. I doubt a vet would go against the manufacturers. At least not unless he/she knew your VERY well.

Regards, John

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I must admit I use mine till its gone ;-) So if thats a year 18 months so be it.... i think they are over cautious, but if course thats only my own opinion. It could be you gave it and something terrible happened. But i can't picture it having done it umpteen times. I don' mess about with stuff I give to puppies. If wormer is out of date, it doesn't go near them, but older dogs, i'm a lot less cautious on that sort of thing.

Di

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to ask the same question. In fact, I simply asked my vet. The bottle I have is coming up 2 years past expiration date. She said the only real risk is that it may not be as effective and if she had some she’d use it on her own pets. She said the manufacturers put an expiry date on simply because they haven’t done studies on efficacy after the use by date and so people buy more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts