Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a fun show yesterday even if the weather was against us. Absolutely tipping it down until 2pm, meaning our usual field for walkies was mud-struck and Merlin had to stay in the car. That being said I think it did him good as he had plenty of energy. I also think letting him get a bit hyped up before his run helped too.

Couldn't do much about his dodgy handler though! I got completely lost with all the circles in the last course and ending up causing Merlin to back jump. But we are slowly improving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA64oWWJFBM&feature=youtu.be

Next time we have an outdoor show, so I am hoping for good weather!

PS. We need some more videos of labbies doing agility. There is a lovely fellow at Beachside called George who is fun to watch :wink:

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, it took a while to get him to this stage as he is quite a shy character and his first competition he wasn't sure he wanted to perform in front of people. Now he loves it and no longer barks at the judge :lol:

It is great fun and highly addictive!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a high impact sport, though I do often see larger dogs running the course set very low to reduce the stresses on joints.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Aw he is clever! I have some videos of Dig at training right at the beginning but he hasn't done any for a while as I haven't had my Saturdays very free. I do want to get him back to it as hen does enjoy it but it will always come second to being a gundog!

This is him jumping - he has springs for legs!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Merlin did very well, you've obviously put a lot of effort into training him. He is a credit to you.
I was watching to see what to expect of agility. Just lately I've been contemplating If agility is something I would enjoy. It looks a lot of fun. I know I'm going to get shot down here though but I have to admit the yapping would get on my nerves. Because the sport is energetic and the dogs adrenalin filled is it common for the spectators dogs to bark a lot?

Amanda

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, some dogs do bark a lot. Tbh, when I am running I switch off everything else and I don't hear other dogs. In the waiting line it can be annoying, but it is amazing how you learn to zone it out after a while. As I live with a yappy Sheltie, I am rather used to it :wink:

At classes trainers tend to stop dogs barking. Though, I have to say dogs like Merlin need to get themselves hyped up before the start line and that can mean a bit of barking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts