Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I have noticed that a lot of the really nice walking paths around here get horribly muddy when it rains. My walking boots are too short for some of the mud baths on some of the paths. Now I know there are a lot of Aigle Wellington wearers on here but I don't unfortunately have £100+ to spend on wellies. Can anyone recommend anything under £100 that won't break in a few months?

To top it all off I'm on strong antibiotics for two weeks for a double ear infection :( no milk for two hours before or after taking a tablet so yeah I'm pretty cold and miserable at the moment, Lilly seems to realise that until we get out the front door when she wants to start pulling on her collar and lead again :(

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I cant recommend anything other than Aigle as everything else has leaked on me!!!
There are some snow boots on offer on Groupon at the moment.. Might be worth a look? I have two pairs of Aigle.. The other pair i have were £70 on Ebay, they are my "summer" ones but buying a size bigger with a few pairs of thermal socks might be an idea?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Hi,

How muddy is too muddy? I would be tempted to stick with boots with waterproof trousers and gaiters. Wellies can be cold (even with extra socks) and offer very little ankle support.

Hope you feel better soon :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear you've got a double ear infection! I'm using otomize for a single ear infection and that's bad enough :( Hope you're feeling better soon!

I have Joules wellies. My sister has had a pair for 4 or more years, and hers are still going strong. She also rides horses and when she goes over to Ireland to see her boyfriends parents, she helps on the farm, so they're well used and still going strong. I've not tested mine so much, since I only got them about 2 weeks ago, but so far, so good and they were only £25 from the Joules outlet store.

I know a few people with Hunter wellies and I've heard good things about those too :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could probably get away with getting new gaiters that come higher up the calf, I'll have a look around. I live in the Welsh Valleys lol so it rains 95% of the time! It's pretty boggy in loads of places when it rains. I'll go look for a new set of gaiters and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ah sorry to hear you are poorly and having a rough day! I have Hunter wellies and love them. They are not super sturdy though, so perhaps not ideal for extreme mud...

Hope you get better soon!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the get well wishes, I'm hoping the antibiotics will kick in soon and all will be right and dandy in a couple of weeks. I have to be very careful with them though as one of the problems with the AB's is tearing of the Achilles Tendon, so I have to watch how I walk with Lilly :( I'm using the short walks as extra training time and I'm trying my best to get her to walk to heel but yeah right now it's not working.

The good thing is that Lilly is now walking on Collar and Lead only with no harness, but she is still pulling at times. I'm trying my best to get her to walk to heel on lead but yeah not working and it's really frustrating me at the moment. I take some really smelly salmon treats out with me that all the other dogs seem to love and flock to me but Lilly likes to plant her nose to the ground :( Lilly does know the sit and wait commands, so I am working on getting her to sit every time I stop walking, again not successful all the time, her wait at the side of the road is very good and when I ask her to wait off lead she 90% of the time does.

The most annoying thing right now for me is that she is great off lead, except for when it's time to go back on the lead to cross a road etc. Lilly will wait until you reach to put her lead back on and will run around like a lunatic, and I have hell trying to catch her. She recalls perfectly to whistle and voice until she see's the lead, I have tried taking it on and off and immediately after taking it off playing to show her that having the lead put on doesn't necessarily mean it's the end of play time but yeah! I was away on Saturday and my dad walked Lilly he let her off but had a terrible time getting her back on lead and it's really dented his confidence in walking her off lead, because she would listen to recall but as soon as he moved to put the lead on bam she was off!

This also means that I have to walk Lilly on my own and she has to stay on lead whilst I have these AB's, it breaks my heart because I love to see her off lead playing but right now I just can't trust her to let me put the lead back on.

Any idea's with how I can solve this because I really want her to be able to go for walks with my dad too! I want to do some mountain climbs in the future but for that she would need to listen and go back on lead at more difficult points in the walk, so that she doesn't get herself into danger.

I have a long line here and am considering putting her back on that, but I really would prefer her to enjoy running free and playing with other dogs sans lead!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boogs said:
Maybe making the reward for going back on lead being let straight off to play 99% of the time? Then the time she gets put on when needed isn't noticed as much?
I always give her a treat for letting me put lead on, even in the house >.< I just don't know what it is with her she wasn't like this last month :( I'm at a loss as to why she has started it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hunter Balmoral's. They are much better then the fashion wellies. They are more agricultural/shooting type so have MUCH better tread depth and ankle support. I managed to find mine on Amazon for £88 delivered instead of £115. I made a thread about them, check it out.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Maybe when she recalls give her a stroke around the neck area but keep the lead in your pocket, switch up throwing a ball or giving a treat but always play with the collar area. She may not let you get that close to her neck to start with so you could pat her back etc and gradually over a few tries desensitise her to you petting her around the collar area. If she gets used to you fiddling with her neck but not putting her back on lead you will be able to trick her on the occasions when you do need to put her back on. When she is better at letting you touch her you can clip her on and off a few times on the walk. That way as well you are gaining lots of browney points with her for releasing her but reinforcing it's on your terms. I might also be tempted to have a high value treat in my pocket that was really stinky and she could resist, as she was taking if from me with one hand I would stroke her neck, not grabbing the collar at all to start with because if in her mind she believes you are trying to capture her and she escapes she is reinforcing her naughty behaviuor . That's what my simple mind would try anyway. If all else fails you can leave a piece of light chord on her collar so you can stand on it when you get close enough.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Whatever you do - don't despair! You have invested so much time and training in Lily, it might be that she's just getting to that age where she is testing you!

I wear the lead around my neck when we are in the park and I have to hold it in my hand sometimes, put it back, etc because Cooper started running away from me when I would take the lead in my hand, ready to clip it on. I try to make the fun last as long as I can, but bring the game closer to me as we approach the park gate. I also use different exits to the park (and entrances otherwise there's too much pulling to get there) so there's less anticipation on his part. They are creatures of habits and learn so quickly.

Knowing that I have sardines on me guarantees a recall, so perhaps keep some in a plastic container for emergencies, like with your dad.

I also reward and praise loads on the walk back home as he is usually tired then and his heel walk is better. Then when we get home he gets toweled dry, brushed and get a chew so coming home is also a really nice moment!

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Yes - the lead needs to be seen by the dog as a neutral thing, so it goes on at random times and is followed by lots of excellent play. Then when it has to be put on it's not anticipated - and doesn't last long before the fun resumes!

Also, I never give Tatze a treat for recall until she is sitting and my hand is on her collar. If it's 'jackpot' day she doesn't know that until after the sit and hand on collar - so I'm not enticing her.

Quite often the reward is now words or sometimes a plain treat. The jackpot still comes out at least once a week. (The gambling effect - it keeps Camelot in business! hehe!)

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts