Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are fostering this fabulous young dog for LRRSE. He was found straying and terrified ... no one claimed him after 7 days in kennels :(

He is about 10 months old, he is a big boy but still very ‘puppy’, wibbly wobbly and all legs, giant paws and ears!

We get all sorts of lovely comments when we are out, although he is still too scared to approach most strangers, many people have said how handsome he is.

He is a great dog to work with, clever, quick and thoughtful, ie. he is motivated to work for reward (I use food rewards) but doesn’t get hysterical about it!
We are both really enjoying the training and he is well on the way to learning sit, down and stand, a good recall and walking nicely on the lead.

He is housetrained, is good around food and toys, is learning to have his body gone over, eyes, ears and teeth checked and can be gently groomed or dried with a towel.

Benny is good with our two cats and lovely with Rosie and Bosun, settling down to sleep with them in front of the fire and bum tucking around the garden with them.

So far, the only real problem we have had with Benny was a failed attempt at using the crate (too early on, my fault) and that he doesn’t like being left.
Having said that, he is now good as gold at night and gradually getting better at being left, although we haven’t tried him completely on his own yet.

Benny is a big, soppy dafty. He loves a cuddle and has those wonderful soft, deep brown eyes that melt your heart.

It’s hard to see how anyone could part with him, but perhaps for a novice owner he was just too much dog!

Benny will not be a ‘first dog’ and needs an experienced home.

If you can offer Benny the forever home he truly deserves, you will need to register with LRRSE first, but in the meantime, please PM me and I’ll pass on your details. :D

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Bless him he is stunning hope he overcomes his fear of being left and strangers.

He looks as so he fits in perfectly with you all :lol:

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
:wave: hello Benny welcome to LF .

You are one very lucky woof to have Auntie Helen as a foster mummy do hope you realise that :D

Sounds like you're having a great time with him Helen (don't be getting too attached now ) :wink:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
He's very lucky to have you to show him how to be a settled and happy dog. All dogs love auntie helen!

hope he finds his forever home soon and until then can enjoy warming his paws by the fire

x

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, he is rather lovely isn't he?

Tough first foster though - finding it hard not to fall for him :?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh I truly wish I were in a position to give him a home right now. He is stunning and sounds like a great young chap

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Welcome Benny you gorgeous boy.

Great job Helen, I couldn't do it, not that I wouldn't be willing or want to but I'd end up the mad lady of the area with 20 plus labs! No way could I part with them.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hi

My friend puppy walks like me for Dogs for the disabled.
she had her 14 year old xbreed pts 2 weeks ago and is looking
for another dog. She has 1 cat and 1 husband and 2 children
aged 6 and 3. She is in Birmingham and loves taking the
dogs out walking. They get 2/3 hours a day. I meet up with
her most days. She is at home most of the day, so dogs do
not get left very often.

Liz

·
Registered
605 Posts
Benny is so handsome

I showed my OH last night and he said " NOOOOOOO " as he saw me looking at him.

Helen i hope you manage to find him a wonderful home

1 - 20 of 45 Posts