Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
jack has been put on trib 80 for the back end of his kennel cough since he started them the vet said that he may get an upset tummy so to give with food (as we are )]but today jack has taken a turn for the worse and has sat in one spot very sleepy and not very intrested in anything around him .
i have phoned the vet and they say that it is just the side effects of his medication and i can take him down but its out of hours vet (that i dont mind doing ) but they are saying theres no need just see how he goes over the next 24 hours as its a typical effect for the tabs to make them sleepy ....concerned what to do as i was already very worried about him as you know when we had him ...but its just out of the blue today this has happened ,
hes eaten a raw hide chew this morning and his dog biscuits not his meat and hes drinking ok ...just concerned about this sleepyness maybe its me been to worried but its not nice to see .
he also had his injection at the vets thursday they told me on phone it could be a side effect of that ...its like im chasing my own tail :(
thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Sorry only just got back and seen this :( .
I imagine you are really worried for poor Jack, I am not sure what the trib 80 medication is am assuming maybe antibiotic, from what you are saying I would cease giving anymore med's without seeing the vet again, as you have said he has had vaccination recently plus this medication and he does sound really out of sorts.
If you can get him to drink, and feed light food such as chicken/fish and rice to keep up his strength.

I hope by now he is starting to feel a little better.

June

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
been to see the vet as i just coould not let him lay there without been seen .
vets changed his medication and says it seems like side effect to hiis medication ,new medication has to start on monday ...see how he goes i guess . :(

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Awww I am sorry you are really being tested with your boy. I think all you can do is trust your vet and make sure the little chap eats and drinks something, small quantities little and often should manage to sustain him.

Try not to worry as he will pick up on it and probably milk it :wink: , I think we have all been where you are now at some time and it is not pleasant, just take each day as it comes and I am sure he will be bouncing about in no time :) [then you will be looking for something to quiet him down :) .

Keep us posted on how he's doing, there are some pretty knowlidgable people who are normally here an can maybe put your mind at rest.

June

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks june i appreciate that .he seems a tad better in himself hes been out for a walk as he fetched his lead and eaten some bland food and drank the well dry as he always does ...im keeping everything crossed for him and i guess we see how he gets on ..
i sure will keep you posted ty for the support :)

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Poor boy, some of those meds are really strong.

I always feel that as long as they are eating something it's a good sign, it's when they won't eat anything I worry worse. And of course it always happens at the weekend when the regular vet is unavailable.

Hope he picks up soon.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i agree totally but 89 pounds wasnt that bad i took him i had to he has eaten as i say tonight and drank so i shall see how he gets on ty again for the support

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
I had Luna react once when put on an antibiotic for a wound, she threw up a couple of times unusually for her. I turned up at vets I think or called and they said pop down. I insisted that I believed it was the meds when they said it would be unusual with that drug.... They examined her for blockage (apparently labs can eat non-edible stuff! Luna NEVER has!) and generally for health and then switched her meds. No problems afterwards. Hope the same for your boy.

Kennel cough made my boy feel very low when he got it... Think 'man-kc' :wink:
you could try giving your boy a few spoonfuls of Manuka honey a day as he is run down, I gave it Luna after her op, I take it when I feel a sniffle coming on and I think it helps to ward off bad stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
My Vet once told me that if the dog could speak, it would say "Mom, I've got a bloody sore throat :evil: :cry:!!! "

Hugs from Me an' Dil xxx

Chel and Dilys xxx

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE

vet as you know yesterday changed jacks medication we started it today and hes doing ok so far touch wood ..asking to go for a walk fetching his own lead wanting fussing wagging tail and eating his meals ...i know its only early days since he was changed over but i see such a difference in him ,
thank you for all your advise ,
kc ...yuck they must feel so ill ...wish sometimes they could talk .
hes even sat chewing his toy today ...or should i say princesses lol :)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
:D Am pleased he is feeling better, fingers crossed for full recovery.
Looking forward to hearing Jacky boy has beat the KC and on the road to recovery, then the fun begins [-o<

June

1 - 11 of 11 Posts