Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maya is now 6 months old (it has gone so fast) the problem is she is great on the lead and walks to heel really well, sits, stays in fact she has been a real pleasure but when she sees another dog she is off like a mad women ears flapping in the wind etc (you know the sort of thing). I have tried a long line and ended up on my face in the mud :eek: :eek: :eek:

Has anyone got any advice please.

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a feeling i will be needing some advice soon regarding the excitement of seeing other dogs!!! button has been off the lead recently and walking so well...better than ever expected...but yes when other dogs approach she gets so excited....so far we have been able to keep her close to us when just people approach by preparing for it as we see them, and by having a treat ready and getting her attention by saying whats this etc...it seems to work really well with people but not quite so with dogs!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Yep, Bracken started doing this at 6 months too and I had a helluva time getting her back to begin with. I've just been working on trying to get her to approach dogs nicely and show some manners, letting her say hello or have a bit of a play if appropriate and then doing whatever it takes to encourage her to follow me rather than her new doggy pal! So much jumping up and down and high pitched squeeks from me, with extra tasty treats, favourite toy etc etc. I must look like a right idiot!! She's just turned 8 months and is now much better at having a quick play with other dogs and then coming back to me when I shout (and usually start running) in the other direction.

I'm sure some of the much more knowledgable and experienced folks will be along soon with proper advice though as I'm a complete beginner!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Meg is 9 months and the recall is gettin better but you will notice that all of a sudden around 7-8 months they get frightened of loosing you and they start to keep an eye on you and recall bcomes a little easyier as your able to say hello to ppl and say oooh im goinand they wil be more concerned of leaving you, we hid at times just to turn it into a game that she needs to be on alert and to come and find us, x x x

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for advice i will get high pitched voice out of the cupboard and fav toy along with nice treats and see wot happens 8O

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
toys and tasty food in your pocket ---- but you have to be exciting and of interest to your dog too...............

not every dog that your dog runs over to, will appreciate it ..............

i was walking my two the other day - and out of nowhere came 12 galloping Exmoor ponies. Having control of my dogs and a good recall in a place where I thought there was nothing/no-one about - may have saved them from a nasty incident......

it really is SOO important

My advice will also be to go to a good training class.............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts