Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max is 16 months old , never had any problems , he is well normally.I came down stairs this morning , and he appeared to be having a fit , it didn't last long 5-10 minutes max, then he started howling and barking at me , he had vomited previously , but he was shaking , he ran to the stairs and sat by my three children who were frightened by this he did not bark at them , after gentle stoking he was fine, then within 10 minutes he went out to the garden did a poo and wee had a drink of water and then appears fine, he is back to normal now , jumping up at the worktops , and looking for food , I have spoken to the vets he is going in at 12.40 for an appointment, he is to be starved in case he needs a blood test , since i have spoken to the vet , I have been reassured, but am getting him checked out , he is walking around normally now , and is playing in the living room with his favourite toy , he is not sleepy or withdrawn , and is trying to steal food from the bin as we speak.I was trying to eliminate any other reasons for this , he had a longer walk of 2½ hours yesterday , and also had a tin of tuna yesterday , his breath appears to smell fishy but that appears to be improving as well .I will update later after ou visit to the vets , sorry for the long post

A

·
0 Posts
No advice I'm afraid, just wanted to wish Max well.

Hope he gets on ok at the vets today, let us know how you get on.

R

·
0 Posts
Hope Max continues to feel better and that the vet can shed some light on what happened.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
So sorry to hear about Max, that must have been so frightening for you. It sounds like he has bounced back so fingers crossed that he is ok.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh i do hope he is ok, u should mention the tuna to ur vet-im no expert but i have a friend whose goldy is epiletic and high protein food brings on a fit in their dog, maybe completly unrelated but it is worth mentioning.
Good Luck
Let us know how u get on.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
just read this, hope you come back soon with an update on how max got on at the vets, hope he is ok and the vet can reasure you

sheila and zak

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Poor max. I hope hes ok now :(

I know its going off the original post but this has happened to us too. I was in the kitchen one day and could hear a strange noise. I turned around and saw Diesel shaking on the floor. I ran over to him and moved his head as it was close to the wall. I made sure the TV was off and it was a low stimulant enviroment (as you do with humans). As Diesel came round he vomited, i noticed that his food was undigested. I rand the vet and was told to keep an eye on him and as he came out of it on his own he should be ok. They asked what id been doing with him all day. We had been out most of the day and while i did my best to make sure he had enough to drink and was kept cool the vet seamed to think that as it was a very hot day that it was something to do with being too hot.

We took him in on the Monday and they ran tests and discovered that he had food allergies and problems with digestion.
I don't know how true this can be but he said fitting in dogs is common and not too worry too much if they bring them selves around and are acting normall soon after fit.

I wish you all the best and hope Max makes a quick recovery

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hope the vets visit went well and s/he has been able to reassure you, may be worth PMing JohnW with this too, see if he has any ideas :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Max went to the vets , we were advised to starve him, and he was checked over by the vet , he said he seemed alert , he checked his stomach , listened to his heart , checked his gums , eyes and tempurature he said all was normal, he was certainly very lively , wouldn't stay still to get weighed then he pestered all the other dogs in the waiting room, he hasn't vomited since this morning , and his bowels are normal , he hasn't got any diarrhoea,he ate some light dinner and some kibble for tea , he seems quite settled lying on the armchair now.
Got to wait for the results of a blood test , should be back by tomorrow, the vet did say he'd ring tonight if he got the results by tonight , but we haven't heard anything yet , so fingers crossed, thanks for all your advice I will update tomorrow with blood results

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update on Max

well the vet rung me back yesterday , he said the blood tests showed slightly higher levels of enzymes in his liver and kidneys, but not significant to be concerned about , he said that Max was slightly dehydrated when he came to the vets, so he would just adopt a wait and see policy to see if anything else developed , he thought that as Max is now showing no signs or after effects from his partial seizure to just contact him if we had any more concerns, at the moment Max is back to his normal mad self , he had a walk yesterday and today , and played happily with other dogs, we have decreased his meals slightly and are watching what he eats for a while in case anything disagrees with him, really hard to watch him all the time as he is a food thief , but fingers crossed. He is full of energy and back to his boisterous ways.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Glad that Max is back up to chaos speed!!!

Hope that his seizure becomes a distant (albeit unexplained) memory...

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Poor Max. Hope he is going to be fine

I have a dog that fits too, but by chance decided to change her food to a more natural dry complete food and by doing this it seems to be keeping the fits at bay and she has not had one for 6 months or more. She is not on any medication from the vet. I dont want to say that this kind of diet works for all dogs that fit but it seems to be working for me and she seems to be in exellent condition too

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Max is on and has been on skinners dry food since he was 9 months old , and has had no problems up until now, talking to people in the park it seems that there was a blue algae problem in the lake, which Max jumped into as well , other dogs have had ear infections and kidney infections from the water , max is now back to full speed so can only wait and see what the next few months bring, he seems over the worse so will keep a close eye on him , I don't want to see him in distress again , no more duck ponds for him!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts