Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Maxi has bladder cancer which is inoperable, but ever since he was diagnosed he has been on Piroxicam. This drug has really seemed to help him and I have good reports from my vet that aswell as an anti-inflammatory, it can reduce or stop the tumour growing. Well, it seems to be working really well for Max, before this med he was straining and wanting to go for a wee all the time with hardly anything coming out and sometimes blood showing - thankfully he is doing much better now and weeing much more normally.

Problem is Max has alot of arthritis in his hips and shoulder and previously he was on Metacam which helped him alot but now he is on the Piroxicam for the cancer, and its not helping the arthritis as good as the Metacam.

Max has coped really well but I'm thinking now he is really very sore with his arthritis. I know from the vet that Max can't have Rimadyl or Metacam due to being on the Piroxicam. I'm just thinking now he needs something extra, maybe some painkillers, I don't know?!

I will be seeing my vet with Max next week but if anyone has any advice, I would be grateful.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
good luck with max................... if he can't have any drugs - you could ask the vet about cortaflex or joint aid perhaps??

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kaladancer said:
good luck with max................... if he can't have any drugs - you could ask the vet about cortaflex or joint aid perhaps??
Thank you. Max is already on loads of supplements for his joints, I think he now needs something to help with any pain.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
and me thinks only strange people are still awake at 2.25 am !! roflol.......

i am sure your vet will give you good advice as you need to be so careful combining drugs ---- give max a big cuddle from me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts