Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have Max a 15 mth old black lab, he is generally very good and has been ok on recall, however this morning he completely ignored me and charged towards a herd of cows and wouldnt come to me. he did eventually come as I walked away, I also know that if it had been horses they may have kicked out at him. I want him to walk beside me until I tell him to go off - advice please?
Thanks
Caroline

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi and welcome

It sounds like that's his prey drive kicking in maybe? Some dogs naturally have more chase instinct than others and an experienced handler will be able to train their dog not to chase from a young age.

My advice would be to always clip him on leash for yours and his safety near livestock.

Re heelwork in general, I think the only thing is practice - do you attend training classes with him?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
he is at the teenage stage when you will go a few steps backward - rather than forward - and you have to go back and look at your training

certainly i would never have any dog loose in a field with livestock........ he could have been hurt - or you could have been . DON'T TAKE ANY CHANCES

1 - 3 of 3 Posts