Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have found this forum as our bitch Bella has mastitis in her rear 2 mammary glands. They are very hard, swollen and hot to touch.
we took her to the vet last night and he prescribed Noroclav and an anti-inflammatory. He said that the milk from those tests would be harmful for the puppies to ingest and she couldn’t feed them whilst on medication.
he also said to remove her from the puppies (there are 10 and they are 8 days old), cut her food back, exercise her hard to stop her milk. As a result, we are bottle feeding the puppies every four hours.
We are keen for Bella to feed the puppies herself and I know she and the puppies would be much happier and we would be much less exhausted!
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Kate (a worried and confused dog mum) x

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Please remember, I am not a vet, so your vet's advice is your first call.
The problem with Noroclav is that it can pass to the pups with the milk whilst suckling, causing tummy upsets which in pups so young would be likely to be fatal. Did your vet recommend hand stripping the affected glands? What are you feeding the pups? Lactol is quite popular.
Beaphar Lactol Puppy Milk 500g | Pets At Home

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please remember, I am not a vet, so your vet's advice is your first call.
The problem with Noroclav is that it can pass to the pups with the milk whilst suckling, causing tummy upsets which in pups so young would be likely to be fatal. Did your vet recommend hand stripping the affected glands? What are you feeding the pups? Lactol is quite popular.
Beaphar Lactol Puppy Milk 500g | Pets At Home
We are feeding lactol. No he didn’t suggest hand stripping but from my own experience feeding my own children that’s exactly what I’ve been doing. The affected gland looks just like the others now but I’m worried that she will now need to finish the course of anti-biotics.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
Yes she will need to finish the course. As to how long for the Noroclav to clear her system, Noah does not state for lactating bitches, even though it is stated as a use. All it says is:-

Withdrawal period
Animals must not be slaughtered for human consumption during treatment. Cattle may be slaughtered for human consumption only after 42 days from the last treatment.
Milk for human consumption must not be taken during treatment. Milk for human consumption may be taken from treated cattle only after 80 hours from the last treatment.

All of which is not very helpful, I can only suggest you contact your vet about that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts