Labradors Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Hi again.. If you are going to go down the homeopathic route I would tend to give Phytolacca 30 .. rather than aconite.. sorry...

Homoepathic remedies are generally made from natural plants... which in their own way can give provision to a natural anti... homeopathy is treating like for like...and like AB' should only be given in short doses.. any longer period of use, can negate any good, and possibly make worse...

Over the counter remedies are proprietorial.. but a good homeopathic vets can prescribe the more obscure, and a good chemist will also mix up to six remedies to combine for an 'all in one'

yes. with 8 pups.. 3 weeks is the time to start weaning.. but still make sure mum has full access to pups at any time.. at 3 weeks they need her more than ever... mum should also be on about 3 times her normal amount of food.. and should still be on a good quality puppy food...puppies will now be entering their most rapid growth period...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to all posters on this thread. Valuable info that isn't readily available without handing money over the counter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Experience of enlarged teat area

I found this thread after searching 'mastitis'
Very informative reading on this and other related threads on here - thanks.
I would like to share my recent experience of noticing an enlarged rear mammary gland which was very firm to touch and reddened. It would have been easy to get the peace of mind of a vet visit - with the associated cost and downside of pumping them full of antibiotics but she wasn't in any discomfort etc. so I chose to keep them all home.
Active bits of dogs are usually hot to touch as they have a higher body temperature than us so that didn't bother me much & her digitally taken temperature was normal.
What I did was to bathe with a very warm wet cloth then gently massage the area and teat to encourage & check milk flow. I saw that a small amount of milk would repeatedly skin over and block the teat. After bathing again and cleaning the teat I was able to get milk flowing, it then started squirting across the floor with minimal squeezing, I figured that it was just full of milk which looked fine so I put the biggest of the nine pups to it and she took plenty. Next I put on another pup who also took her fill and by then the area around the teat had reduced quite a lot with no harness. The next day all is now well.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I have found this forum and thread as our bitch Bella has mastitis in her rear 2 mammary glands. They are very hard, swollen and hot to touch.
we took her to the vet last night and he prescribed Noroclav and an anti-inflammatory. He said that the milk from those tests would be harmful for the puppies to ingest and she couldn’t feed them whilst on medication.
he also said to remove her from the puppies (there are 10 and they are 8 days old), cut her food back, exercise her hard to stop her milk. As a result, we are bottle feeding the puppies every four hours.
We are keen for Bella to feed the puppies herself and I know she and the puppies would be much happier and we would be much less exhausted!
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Kate (a worried and confused dog mum) x

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Hi Kate,

I'd go with the vet advice, while mum is on medication keep her away from the pups and let the meds do their work. My last litter was 11 pups and mum only has 9 teats, so it was a case of topping up from day one, it's not unusual to have to help out, and by three and a half weeks I was weaning them as they were enormous and mum just couldn't have carried on producing enough milk for all of them in any case. One thing you can do for mum is to soak a tea towel or similar sized cloth in cold black tea, get her on her back and just lay it on the teats that are affected. Black tea is a natural astringent and helps soothe any soreness with mastitis, it's a great tip I picked up off a friend who also breeds.

If the vet is saying to exercise her to stop the milk, I think you're looking at bottle feeding for the next couple of weeks, and then weaning I'm afraid. It is hard work but then that's what we let ourselves in for when we breed pups, I've had many a sleepless night and been covered with all sorts of fluids and [email protected], but at the end of it, if you've bred a lovely litter of pups then it is rewarding, just hard, hard work in the meantime.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts