Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lab amber gave birth to 9 pups 9 days ago. Having been brushing her today i notice that her front teat has a hard lump in front of it which is a light red in colour. I am assuming this may be mastitis? Is there any way i can treat this myself and should the pups still be suckling from the teat? All her teats have been hot to the touch from day one and the pups are showing no signs of illness and are growing at a good rate. Amber herself shows no signs of discomfort. The end of the teat looks as though it has a small scab over the end as though it has healed up. Do i need to get her to a vet or not and will it be something that goes away by itself? many thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took dog to vet just to be on safe side. Confirmed it was mastitis and she is now on a course of antibiotics. Hopefully it will disappear soon. Thanks for your advice.

·
Administrator
21,293 Posts
I'm a little surprised about the AB's! I take it you did tell the vet that she was nursing. I know a lot of things are not available to a nursing bitch because of it being passed on to the puppies in the milk. Apart from anything else it can make this class of AB ineffective in the future.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Amber.. one of the best ways to help mastitis is to massage the teat, and express the milk...

I use a face flannel dipped in hot water (not too hot) and place over the teat in question.. rub gently (it is painful) ... try and break up any puss that has gathered under the skin and keep expressing the milk.. try and place the strongest sucking pup onto this teat.. the poison wont harm the pup...

I would rather treat this way than put mum onto AB's

Apols.. just noticed its the dogs name that is Amber

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi and thankyou for your replies. I am somewhat confused and with the greatest respect to all who have replied, who do i put my faith in...the vet or the forum?? The vet assured me there would be no problem with the AB's and she was fully aware that amber was nursing. I did question if this would affect the pups but she assured me it would not cause them any harm. £68 later and i am unsure now what to do for the best. I have been preventing the pups suckling on that particular teat as i was worried incase the puss made the pups ill. I take it that i still need to let the pups onto the teat to express the milk? I shall try the hot flannel with massage to try and ease the puss out a bit. Sorry to sound as though i am doubting what has been advised, it is just that i have never bred before and am now worried that the AB's may harm the pup, despite being assured there would be no problems. many thanks once again.

G

·
I'll bump this up for you as I think Kay may still be around..... :D

I know who I'd be trusting in this instance......and it wouldn't be the vet. :wink: Kay and John have bucket loads of experience with this sort of thing. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can i also just clarify that the puss will not harm the pups and that i should be letting them onto the teat?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
lol No problem Jules.. still here...

I would say that my vet would trust me enough to be able to deal with a case of mastitis.. most cases are not too serious and knowing how to help aleviate it can stop it getting worse, and turn the tide so to speak..

In a more serious case.. usually when pups are unable to suckle for whatever reason.. the buildup of sour milk can make a case of mastitis worse, and in this case a course of AB's might be needed.. .. in which case I would accept a dose of Synulux.. easygoing broadspectrum AB's...

But.. if at all possible.. I would rather try and deal with this without having pups taking in AB's needlessly.. and it sounds like this case is very mild.. it just needs dealt with to stop it getting worse... it may take 2 or 3 days...

gently kneeding the puss buildup will breakdown any lumps and can be expressed through teat by finger and thumb.. but best way is a good strong sucking pup placed on it occasionally...

Hot facecloth helps ease the pain, and also helps when massaging...

so far I have been lucky.. I have had 3 seperate cases of mild mastytis and treated all very easily without AB's..

But.. still trust your vet.. he has seen this girl.. it may be a little more serious that we have assumed here....

Just to add.... AB's wont harm pups as such.. but they may have a knock on effect on the immunity that mums milk is giving them....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the good wishes. Amber is good as gold and is letting me massage the area. It is coming out but slowly and it looks as though the puss is now a darker brown with a tinge of red in it. It has changed in appearance overnight and it appears as though there is a head appearing at the top of the redenning which looks as thought it is blueish in colour. The puss looks horrible and i am really suprised that this puss does not affect the pups. Will it upset their stomachs? I have continued at this stage with the AB's as the lump is now golf ball size although it is slightly smaller than yesterday but still very firm to the touch. i have been doing this massage and getting the puss out about 4 times a day and i know that the teat is most probably very sore. I take it i cant do any damage to her by doing this? I am applying gentle/firm pressure but should i be applying more pressure and trying to squeeze the lump towards the teat to get the muck out. At present my wife is not letting me go anywhere near her incase i get any ideas!!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I am applying gentle/firm pressure but should i be applying more pressure and trying to squeeze the lump towards the teat to get the muck out
Hi.. what you are doing is probably fine... remember this whole are is going to be so painful at the moment.. not just where the lump is...

As she is on AB's... what you are trying to do.. is breakdown the 'pussball' for dispersion... The AB's will kick in quite quickly..

appears as though there is a head appearing at the top of the redenning which looks as thought it is blueish in colour
You may find this may come to a head and burst.. if this happens.. just keep the area clean and allow to heal...

It is coming out but slowly and it looks as though the puss is now a darker brown with a tinge of red in it.
I like to see something like that at this stage.. the blood coming through will wash out a lot of the poison..

Keep up with the warm flannel and gentle massage.. not too much pressure...

Hope your girl will be feeling better soon.. should only be a couple more days now..

and sorry... forgot to say congratulations on litter lol..

and your wife... very wise woman lol ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a quick update, the swelling came to a head this afternoon and burst, leaving a bit of a hole. I am keeping the area clean with the hot facecloth and water. It has already lost its firmness and the redness is fading. Bearing in mind previous posts with regard to AB's, i presume it would be wise to continue the course until finished to make sure the puss does not come back? By the time she finishes the AB's it will be getting towards the time for me to start weaning anyway. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Bearing in mind previous posts with regard to AB's, i presume it would be wise to continue the course until finished to make sure the puss does not come back?
Absolutely.. never stop giving Ab's halfway through a course..

How old are pups now?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Just out of interest - I had a few cases of this nasty problem when I was feeding my girls (human daughters of course, not my labbies :oops: :wink: ), and after one course of antibiotics, was told by a friend to take aconite - homeopathic remedy, it worked every time and I always used it if I felt the nasty condition returning.

Could you use that on dogs too cos I know there are homeopathic vets?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Yes Jackie, you can give aconite30 to dogs... but not while the vet has prescribed AB's.. after the course of AB's are finished, then not a problem

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to say this is a great site and the advice is top class. many thanks once again for all your help. The pups are now 10 days old and doing fine. Mum is still eating and drinking well. I am glad that you have all been here for me because this is the first time i have bred dogs and i have never come across mastitis before and was very worried of the consequences. i suppose at least i spotted it early, i guess that is what grooming is all about as well. What does aconite actuall do and what is it? I presume it is some kind of natural antobody of some kind? Just one other question, with the 8 pups i have been advised to start weaning at 3 weeks. I take it this is the norm?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts