Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 month old lab had a spot of thining hair, a few months ago, on her cheek. I kind of thought it was a birth mark but finally we decided to just make sure and take her to the vet. The same day we were taking her to the vet we noticed a small bald spot on her ear. We get to the vet and they said it was demodex. We are all really nervous and worried about our pup. The vet treated it with (i think it was called) amitraz. She said she would have to come back in two weeks to do another scraping and see if she needed more amitraz. She said she would probably need it two more times. I can't help but be really nervous about it. She is such a good pup and we love her so much. I've read about generalized mange and realize it could be really bad. How worried should we be? Any advise or info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

I the only advise I could give is what you are already doing, taking her to the vet.Try not to worry to much, you have sort help before it go to bad and i'm sure she will recover fine.I bet she is still a bouncing ,playful pup dispite this. :D (maybe wrong). :?

Cristina

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
you have done the right thing in taking your pup to the vet and now all you can do is keep up the treatment the vet is giving you and in no time your pup will be back to normal fur n all...
not sure if this is true (seen on tv) but are you and hubby wearing gloves when you bath your dog as sometimes the owner can get the lil mite?like i said this was on tv but the dog they were treating was a stray and a lot worse than your pup is no fur on its back and a poor looking thing...

your pup will be fit and healthy in no time :):)

also did the vet say how your pup got it?

my 2 labs got kennel cough about 3yrs ago took to the vet as it can be the death of a dog he told us foxs at the shore(we go the beach every other day) had passed this on??? which i find very strange but wondering if a fox can also pass the mange on??

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sarcoptic mange can be passed on by foxes, demodex mange is usually passed on by the dam. Although not inherited as such, most dogs have the mites living on them without problems, but an impaired immune system in the pups (there is thought to be an inherited factor) causes them to multiply and cause problems. The treatment is aimed at killing the excess numbers, but does not cure the problem, which is why it can recur. The severity of the problem varies from dog to dog, and as she grows, you may find her levels of immunity increase and she has no more problems, although it can recur. Regardless, just in case you are thinking of it, she should not be bred from.

Kennel cough it like a bad cold /flu for us. Not pleasant, but not normally dangerous for dogs except the young, old and those at risk through impaired immune system. It is however, highly contagious so it is better not to take a dog with kennel cough anywhere there are likely to be other dogs around.
HTH :)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
lablover

yes we were put round the back of the vets away from the animals coming in and out it was a very scary 2-3 weeks for us the coughing was horrible bit like they were choking aswell but luckily ours dogs are now fine and have not had it since well brandy hasnt tessa passed away last year..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she has demodex

it's not contagious so we don't wear gloves and we still roll around with her. It's passed on by the mother when they are born. Supposedly like 70% of dogs have the mites but if their immune systems are good they don't show signs. I was told puppies will show signs because thier immune systems aren't fully developed. We are taking her to the vet but i'm like the obessive mother. I feel like i have to do more . We are switching her from science diet to this brand called blue buffalo that looks really good. Meat is the main ingredient as opposed to grain.. it is whole and natural so we are hoping it helps her fight off the mange. I don't really know what else i can do. Someone on another site suggested putting pureed veggies in her food as well.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
what is a sceince diet and a blue buffalo sorry i have not heard of these foods :oops: but have seen ppl post them??

my labs are on dreid food meat chunks/vegatables/biscuit/chicken n rice flavour end every monday and friday they have half a tin of pilchards each mixed in there food :) there coats are lovely and shiny with this :):)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
sorry forget the blue buffalo i just read a post further down..lol..i havent seen that in our pet stores look interesting though :)

whats the science diet??

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
clairiscrazy
I believe Hills Science Plan is often referred to as Science diet in the US.
I've not heard of Blue Buffalo, but looking at the website it does not appear to be available in the UK. Possibly some of our members from the US have heard of it and can advise.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
lol..oh yes i never thought about ppl being from different parts of the world..lol. im living in a bubble me..lol..the food they have might be the same as ours but with a different name? thx :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi bluekrush
Although it can take a while to get under control, most puppies do grow out of it as their immunity increases, although it can sometimes recur later in life when their immunity is lowered, through stress or illness. Giving her a good diet can only be a good thing.
You may have already done so, but if not it would be a good idea to inform your breeder so that your pups dam will not be bred from again.
HTH :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts