Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasper my Choc Lab loves retrieving but he tends to, after a while, destroy his Dummies so Im looking to try and make my own Dummies, i know that it will be quicker and probably easier to buy them, but i would like to try. I know that they are made of canvas but does anybody know where i can order the material from.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You need 12oz rot proof canvas I think. Incidentally, what is he doing to the dummies as they should last a while lol!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We only let him have them when we are out and he is retrieving but in fairness it is not all him, sometimes our yellow Lab Oscar encourages a game of tug (Oscar shows no intrest what so ever in retrieving) and also they never really get chance to dry out, so when we throw them sometimes they split along the seams.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Don't worry, I have a couple of bull terriers who given half the chance will quite happilly make mincemeat out of any of the dummies, and if they can, they'll invite anyone for a game of tug with them!

However I have never heard of a dummy spliting along it's seam. That's very odd and never happened to me. Where are you getting them from? Have you tried the good old fashioned canvas dummies from Quest/Sporting Saint/Turner Richards etc?

Anyway, slightly off topic as you want to make your own. I would try ebay for materials as I bet you could find something on there. Although you may find it more cost effective just to buy them tbh from the above mentioned shops - they start at about £3.50 I think.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
wierd! If you don't get round to making them then perhaps try the £3.80 Quest dummies. Those are what i generally buy and have never had a problem with splitting etc :wink: Otherwise, go hunting on ebay and maybe someone else here can suggest other places for materials too.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
A suggestion maybe.... don't use dummies for playtimes and use something unbreakable, like a throwable kong or something... or use one of the platic 'dildo' type dummies with knobbles if your other dog might charge in and play tug.

Then if and when you are actually doing some one to one training with your chocolate boy, use the dummies. They will last a lot longer. They aren't really designed to be played with, just trained with.

Di

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
...blush.... I ummm.... probably shouldn't have.... sorry.... ;-(

Di

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
oh di! pmsl :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts