Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So I'm a little stuck, please help.

just back from Waitrose when I stumbled across fish counter and broght a couple of mackeral fillets for Alfie. Though it would be a nice change as a treat for him.

Dumb question - but what next? how do you suggest I serve?

Does it need grilling?
Is 2 fillets (110g) too much for 14 week old pup? (12 Kilos)
Read some of you add tomatoe ketchup?
Substitute for a full meal or is this a treat?

:oops:

Thanks again in advance

Graham & Alfie

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Our 2 had mackerel last week but they're BARF and get it quite a lot anyhow. I always make sure the bones are out of fish first, if you've got a complete side of mackerel, there will be little pin bones running along the middle of it and possibly something that looks sort of like ribs at the thick end. With a sharp knife and the fish skin side down, cut the rib type bones off and slice either side of the pin bones. From there it's up yo you but all we do is chop the fillets into tiny little bits, mix it with some finely grated veg, stick it in a bowl and stand well clear 8O

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Ooooh fresh makeral - thats posh! :wink:

I occasionally give mine makeral/sardines/pichards out of a tin either in oil or tomato sauce... just mash it up with their food in that case! Easy life! :wink:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your help.

Made sure it was de boned, gave 1/2 a fillet (55g) and grilled for 4 mins.

At that point did consider eating it myself.
:wink:

Mixed in with 1/2 usual kibble feed and gave to Alfie.

He cleared his feed like turbo charged hoover and spent next 10 mins licking bowl like never seen before.

Gets the "yes please again" vote from Alfie

A

·
0 Posts
Wow lucky Alfie... my 2 are jealous!!! I only feed the tinned type of mackeral/ sardines and pilchards - so much easier :oops: :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Shadow has a problem with either tinned fish or lamb so we tend to steer clear of both. He gets lumps on his face and looks a bit like a wart hog!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Steve_P said:
Shadow has a problem with either tinned fish or lamb so we tend to steer clear of both. He gets lumps on his face and looks a bit like a wart hog!
lol, Sasha gets like that with fresh White fish. My Father in Law is a keen fisherman and a few years ago gave us loads of Plaice. We cooked some for ourselves and gave the dogs some. Sasha came up with lumps all over her face and body. I panicked and rang the vet, who basically just laughed and told me she would be fine, but obviously not to give it to her again :lol: She's ok with the tinned stuff in oil though and loves it. Never tried her with the tomatoe sauce ones, but will get some for her to try :)

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I give mine fish - raw and whole! They go mental over sardines!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts