Labradors Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have found a Labrador breeder fairly local to me which is handy but I was wondering if there was anyway I can check them out fully? They state they are licensed and KC registered but I wondered if anyone had dealt with them before or know of them?
Thanks
Ryan

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
I know nothing at all about them. Looking at the KC health testing page there are 7 Labradors sharing the Lynsted affix, which to me denotes a relatively new breeder. There is not a single health test listed for any, although the KC have been very slow listing health results, so there may be some. But were it me I would exercise extreme caution and want to see proof of the health test results first before wasting petrol going to see them. And remember, "My vet looked and said they were fine!" is NOT a health test, it's a cop out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know nothing at all about them. Looking at the KC health testing page there are 7 Labradors sharing the Lynsted affix, which to me denotes a relatively new breeder. There is not a single health test listed for any, although the KC have been very slow listing health results, so there may be some. But were it me I would exercise extreme caution and want to see proof of the health test results first before wasting petrol going to see them. And remember, "My vet looked and said they were fine!" is NOT a health test, it's a cop out.
so their website says they are fully licensed and parents are KC registered. But it also says if you want a puppy KC registered they can only do that on litters that have not been born yet. Is that a red flag?

I have messaged people on their Facebook reviews page and all have said that they have had great experiences and that they saw mum of pups and paperwork before buying. I didn’t know if there was a place you can check out someone’s breeding license or not?

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
so their website says they are fully licensed and parents are KC registered. But it also says if you want a puppy KC registered they can only do that on litters that have not been born yet. Is that a red flag?

I have messaged people on their Facebook reviews page and all have said that they have had great experiences and that they saw mum of pups and paperwork before buying. I didn’t know if there was a place you can check out someone’s breeding license or not?
Not heard of them, but KC registration has nothing to do with pups being born yet, in fact completely the opposite, you can't register something that doesn't exist. Some breeders do this to fiddle the books, so they will register extra pups and then fit the puppy to the registration paper. So yes, it would be a HUGE red flag to me. KC registration is generally done once pups are not just born, but are doing well enough so that you don't risk registering a pup which doesn't make it. I registered pups from my first litter and lost two, so registered eight, but only six survived. In effect, although it wasn't my main thought at the time, I needlessly paid for two registrations, although one of the pups was nine weeks of age before the problem was found and she had to be put to sleep. Anyway, I would avoid any breeder that isn't truthful about KC registration, whether through ignorance or if they are deliberately trying to stretch the truth. If there are only a few dogs showing on the KC website it may be that they aren't registering pups from litters and there could be some very dubious reasons for this, having more litters from a bitch than is recommended/allowed, having litters from bitches too young/old; and if they are cutting that corner, I would be wondering what other corners they're cutting as well. When you take your dog for BVA eye testing for KC registered dogs you take along your documents so the vet can stamp them, and all the health tests done that the KC recognise can be seen on their website. If they're not registering pups/dogs and then eventually breeding on, then you have no way of knowing for sure which health test is relevant to which dog/bitch.

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
It all sounds very dubious to me. As to recommendations on a web site, I really dont take any notice of them. Who is to say they did not write them themselves? From what you have said and from what I have seen on the KC page I could not recommend them. A licence means absolutely nothing, it is just a piece of paper. The fact that there is not a single health test listed on the KC site, no eye test, no hip score, no elbow score, no DNA test at all makes it a big not to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not heard of them, but KC registration has nothing to do with pups being born yet, in fact completely the opposite, you can't register something that doesn't exist. Some breeders do this to fiddle the books, so they will register extra pups and then fit the puppy to the registration paper. So yes, it would be a HUGE red flag to me. KC registration is generally done once pups are not just born, but are doing well enough so that you don't risk registering a pup which doesn't make it. I registered pups from my first litter and lost two, so registered eight, but only six survived. In effect, although it wasn't my main thought at the time, I needlessly paid for two registrations, although one of the pups was nine weeks of age before the problem was found and she had to be put to sleep. Anyway, I would avoid any breeder that isn't truthful about KC registration, whether through ignorance or if they are deliberately trying to stretch the truth. If there are only a few dogs showing on the KC website it may be that they aren't registering pups from litters and there could be some very dubious reasons for this, having more litters from a bitch than is recommended/allowed, having litters from bitches too young/old; and if they are cutting that corner, I would be wondering what other corners they're cutting as well. When you take your dog for BVA eye testing for KC registered dogs you take along your documents so the vet can stamp them, and all the health tests done that the KC recognise can be seen on their website. If they're not registering pups/dogs and then eventually breeding on, then you have no way of knowing for sure which health test is relevant to which dog/bitch.
Wow this is so helpful, thank you very much. I have been in talks with them about a planned litter for April (bitch isn’t pregnant yet) so there is no guarantee anyway. I am looking for a pup around June so I need to be looking for expectant breeders now so I can get on a list. They have been quite informal (text messages) and not very forthcoming but I wonder if that is because the litter hasn’t been conceived yet. I will keep doing my homework.
Is there any websites or places you can check the breeder certification and health tests or is it the breeder only who can give that information?

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
A breeders license means nothing. ALL breeders MUST be licensed in the UK if they breed more than so many litters. Really it was more a way of taxing the income than any guide to the breeder's ethics, though some people try to use it as a badge of honour, which it most certainly is not. As to health tests, it is on the KC web site, although that is not the easiest place to navigate.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Wow this is so helpful, thank you very much. I have been in talks with them about a planned litter for April (bitch isn’t pregnant yet) so there is no guarantee anyway. I am looking for a pup around June so I need to be looking for expectant breeders now so I can get on a list. They have been quite informal (text messages) and not very forthcoming but I wonder if that is because the litter hasn’t been conceived yet. I will keep doing my homework.
Is there any websites or places you can check the breeder certification and health tests or is it the breeder only who can give that information?
If you know the KC registered name of a dog, you can look it up on the KC website and it will tell you all the information the KC hold about that dog, the health test results, any progeny, and a brief pedigree which is hyperlinked so you can click further back into the pedigree. It also gives the EBV (estimated breeding value - probability of good/poor hips calculated by previous results) and the CoI which is the coefficient of inbreeding, ie how closely bred the individual is. Those last two figures can be affected by how complete the information the UK KC hold on a dog, for example, a pup sired by a dog from another country may not have any information behind it, so the EBV and CoI may well be well out. If you use one of my dogs as an example 'Tarimoor Dark Opal' all her details are on there (she's spayed and will be 10 in April).

There is no one place to look for a good breeder, but the KC website and Champdogs are the only 'good' places to start a search, avoid the free websites as it would be like finding a needle in a haystack finding a good breeder on there. For me personally I'd want both parents with hip scores around or below the breed median and nice and even, my upper limit would be a combined total of 14. I would want both parents to have elbow grades of 0, and a current clear BVA eye cert (within the last 12 months); and at least one parent tested clear (ideally both tested and if one is a carrier the other should be clear) for prcd-PRA, CNM, HNPK, SD2 and EIC. There may be recommendations for MCD to be included in that list soon, and there is also MRD which has been part of the BVA eye cert but JohnW would know more about that.

I always used to say the best test that could be developed is one for the breeders to test for levels of ethics, because it is a minefield out there for puppy buyers. What one thinks is acceptable, another might think is a step too far. So what you need to think about as a puppy buyer is what sort of breeder do you want to support? Also, look at stud dogs, often times if you can look at what they are producing it's worth getting in touch with the owner and asking if any suitable bitches come along, would they mind passing your details on to be considered for the waiting list.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently met a person at my local vets that had a dog from them that came with giardia and now they have a two year old with arthritis and hip dysplasia. The breeder didn’t care or respond to either issue. It was strange because I had been looking for a Labrador and had visited Lynsted but no way! They drove to collect a puppy when I went to view and “mum” looked tired and old. When I said that the puppy wasn’t for me I was told not to worry because they always had puppies available

1 - 9 of 9 Posts