Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toby my chocolate lab has got a large lump inside his rear leg and on further inspection has a few smaller ones on his underside. Had his large checked by the vet and it is just a fatty lump. If and it is only an if at the moment, we decided to have them removed has anyone had any luck with their insurance covering the cost?
We are with petplan. :)

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
My now very old girl had a few lumps removed when she was younger, some were benign, but a couple were cancerous, and Petplan were fine. She's now 14 1/2 and has numerous lumps, but at her age, and particularly as she struggles to come round from GA, I'm just leaving them be.

Her half sister is 13 1/2 and has numerous lumps as well, she also had a lump removed when she was younger that turned out to be a mast cell tumour.

The problem with some cancers is that if you remove them, and don't get all of the cells, then they tend to spread. I'm pretty certain that a few of the lumps and bumps on my old girls are cancerous, and they probably have lots of things going on internally as well, but with their ages it's a case of taking each day as it comes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: lumps

About 5 years ago my lab developed a lump on his hind leg which the vet said to monitor. It became problematic about 18 months later and he had it surgically removed. My insurance at the time were not going to pay as they said it was a pre existing condition as it had been noticed at a previous consultation... it took a lot of correspondence/determination to get the company to pay. I would say, your best bet is to double check with your insurance company before you go ahead with any subsequent treatment

1 - 4 of 4 Posts