Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, due to current circumstances our vet is not seeing anyone unless it is an absolute emergency. I emailed some pictures of lumps we noticed on our 17-week old puppy, one of them has become quite large, annoyingly the vet informed me over the telephone that he does not check emails so has not seen the pictures and told me it sounded like puppy pyoderma. As you can see the lumps are not red or itchy and Davros is leaving them well alone, nor are they crusty or scab-like, I would be extremely thankful if someone could look at the pictures to see if they recognise it from their own experience?

I know pyoderma is just a general term for skin disorder/disease but generally speaking, it relates to 'spot-like' pustules which these lumps are not. Lumps in general strike fear into anyone so hopefully, you can understand my concern. Hopefully, I am worrying about nothing.

Thank you in advance for any support and/or advice.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,483 Posts
Hello Davros. Firstly please understand that I am not a vet, just someone who has been around a long time and seen much.

I’m a little surprised that your vet does not check emails at this time. I can understand it in “Normal” times, but this is not normal times. Vets don’t want us going to the surgeries except in an emergency so a photo attached to an email would sound a good idea. Lets face it, with only seeing emergencies vets are not exactly overburdened with work so to me it is a way of fostering good relations with their clients. Sorry but it looks to me like, “You are not paying me for a consultation so I’m not going to help!”

OK, rant over. Yes, We can all appreciate how worrying lumps are, but at 17 weeks it’s unlikely to be anything too serious. The obvious worry with lumps is cancer, but there simply has not been enough time for tumours to grow. I would doubt a bee or wasp sting, I would have thought there would be some pain or irritation with those. But saying that I did have a puppy stung some years back and apart from the inital sting she did not appear to bothered, so maybe?? It could be something like a reaction to something. Has he been anywhere near stinging nettles or the like? Could there be something in your garden which he might be allergic to?

All I can suggest is to keep an eye on it for any change in the lumps, or more particularly and change in his demeanour. Lethargy would be worrying.

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
I think some vets seem to be being a bit over cautious. I’ve been very lucky, my vets have seen me several times during this confinement.

Lumps, it’s very difficult to tell from the photo. Firstly, try NOT to keep touching or feeling them. If they feel soft and are just under the skin and not attached to anything, I wouldn’t worry too much. If they change or grow then insist that your vet sees you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are going to try and get hold of another vet today, one which has also been recommended to us by our dog trainer. We think it crazy that in these circumstances emails are not being checked more frequently than usual, hopefully we can have Davros looked at today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have registered him with a second vet, they are going to review the pictures and if they think it necessary then they will book us in for a video consultation this afternoon, and from that, if they are still concerned they will see him in person!

Thank you JohnW and Maddie for your support, it is great to have other opinions when you just feel the only one you have may be at fault.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts