Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Lucan to the vet last week for a check over. He's had an intermittent cough which seems to occur every six weeks, give or take a week or two, but seems to have got worse recently. It sounds a bit like a KC cough, it can be just a one off coughing fit to lasting a couple of days but this has been going on since he was really ill with Kennel Cough as a pup.

I was a bit apprehensive as he was booked in to see a male vet (he's much better with females), he was very wriggly but eventually let the vet listen to his chest and feel his throat/windpipe which immediately brought on the hacking cough for a couple of minutes. I was warned there are several possibilities ranging from lung damage, asthma, allergies to inflammation so he is booked in to be scoped and x-rayed tomorrow.

He's otherwise very fit, hasn't lost or put on weight, has a nice shiny coat and has no problems exercising. Did give me a fright on Saturday when he seemed to be struggling to breathe for a few minutes making funny noises and puffing out his cheeks, also seemed quite panicky. Fingers crossed it'll be something easily fixed.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucan's had his endoscopy, bronchoalveolar lavage and X-rays. I spoke to the vet when I picked him up at 6pm, he has considerable inflammation throughout both lungs and X-rays are showing changes. :sad: Only good news is that he didn't see anything nasty and described it as healthy looking inflammation. Samples have been sent off to the lab and hopefully results will be back by Friday so should know more then, at the moment he's thinking asthma.......

I have a very clingy, whinging dog here at the moment, hopefully he'll settle down and sleep it off soon. :smile:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lucan's lab results have ruled out any nasties, infections and lungworm so we are left with chronic inflammation, either bronchitis or asthma. The vet is convinced this stems from a bout of Kennel Cough he had as a pup which developed into a serious chest infection. He has prescribed him steroids for now and we have to go back after Christmas.

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
Good news that so much has been ruled out!

I just thought I'd suggest maybe giving him a couple of spoonfuls of manuka honey each day. I've taken it when struggling with coughs/colds and haven't ended up with chest/sinus infections like I have in the past... I think it is magic stuff. He might find it soothing on the throat at least. Luna loved having it after her elbow op - the tube down her throat was a bit irritating!

Hope he improves on all the meds xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts