Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said a very sad farewell to my best boy yesterday. It was his time.

Lucan came from a pure working litter with many ft champions going way back in his pedigree. He was named after Sir Lucan, King Arthur's most loyal knight, and boy did he live up to that name! He was my shadow, always by my side, whether indoors or out.
We started gundog training from puppyhood, and achieved a fairly good standard, retrieves, directions, stops and recalls to the whistle, were even invited to join a shoot. He was a fit and healthy dog with enough stamina to keep up with the English Pointer I also had at the time. Unfortunately aged around 2.5 he contracted a bad bout of kennel cough which developed into pneumonia needing several weeks of treatment and which ultimately triggered his immune system to go into overdrive causing inflammation in his lungs. Over the years despite treatment this inflammation also spread to his digestive tract and joints. Not that it slowed him down much! However years and years of inflammation, treatment with various forms of steroids and painkillers had recently taken its toll and last August the vets discovered his lungs were full of cancer tumours and nothing more could be done for him.
My determined, stubborn old boy carried on as usual, losing weight and muscle and having several wobbly moments, he wasn't going to give up! Yesterday I spoiled him rotten with food he couldn't normally eat, drip fed him sausages and gave him tennis balls that are normally forbidden. We had a final last walk in the sunshine before heading to the vet.

Run free Lucan. xxx

Reactions: Luna-Tuck

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I said a very sad farewell to my best boy yesterday. It was his time.

Lucan came from a pure working litter with many ft champions going way back in his pedigree. He was named after Sir Lucan, King Arthur's most loyal knight, and boy did he live up to that name! He was my shadow, always by my side, whether indoors or out.
We started gundog training from puppyhood, and achieved a fairly good standard, retrieves, directions, stops and recalls to the whistle, were even invited to join a shoot. He was a fit and healthy dog with enough stamina to keep up with the English Pointer I also had at the time. Unfortunately aged around 2.5 he contracted a bad bout of kennel cough which developed into pneumonia needing several weeks of treatment and which ultimately triggered his immune system to go into overdrive causing inflammation in his lungs. Over the years despite treatment this inflammation also spread to his digestive tract and joints. Not that it slowed him down much! However years and years of inflammation, treatment with various forms of steroids and painkillers had recently taken its toll and last August the vets discovered his lungs were full of cancer tumours and nothing more could be done for him.
My determined, stubborn old boy carried on as usual, losing weight and muscle and having several wobbly moments, he wasn't going to give up! Yesterday I spoiled him rotten with food he couldn't normally eat, drip fed him sausages and gave him tennis balls that are normally forbidden. We had a final last walk in the sunshine before heading to the vet.

Run free Lucan. xxx
I'm so sorry, they are never with us long enough but it's awful when you have to finally say goodbye xx

·
Premium Member
8,931 Posts
It sounds like he couldn’t have had a better life than being with you. It’s hard, I’m still reeling from losing Betty, it’s a Saturday...again. Every Saturday I go shopping, and come home and I’m reminded of how I found her...😭😭😭😭

Run free and hugs to you and your family,

Reactions: mandyb

·
Premium Member
3,180 Posts
Fly free Lucan over Rainbow Bridge to Doggy Heaven xx

Thinking of You Mandy xx

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

Reactions: mandyb

·
Registered
928 Posts
Only just caught up and read this. So sorry to hear about Lucan. It sounds like he has fought hard and made the most of life. xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts