Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, it's lovely having a dog that likes nothing better than to splash about in water... rivers, streams, the sea and even puddles. However, anyone got any advice for what to do about a youngster (he's only 5 months old) who can't resist tipping a water bowl up side down?!

We have tried all kinds of sizes and designs of water bowl (including "non-slip" ones) but they all end up the same way - upside down, and water everywhere! :?

Hopefully he will grow out of this "fun trick" before we are flooded out of house and home.... but any suggestions in the meantime would be gratefully received!

·
Registered
123 Posts
i know you can get bowls that bolt onto the side of the crates but i haven't got one so i don't know if it would work. As an interim measure we have used pampers care mats under our dog's bowls to soak up any spillages.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you tried using one of the bowl stands that you can get?
they lift the bowl off the floor...just a thought!

Molly doesn't tip her water, but is obsessed with coming to lick you as much as she can when she's finished with the water!...she will usually go and get a refill from the water bowl and move onto someone else in the room then....most disgusting!

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
max doesnt tip his bowl over but drops things in it. then we get the nose dive to get the article back out and of course water every where. he also likes to give the wet kiss after the whole nose has been in the bowl. after dripping all over me i usually get the nose stuck in my neck. dont you just love them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks for the input! I think it's going to be a case of waiting for a bit of maturity... does this ever happen with labradors?!

They are all so CRAZY about water aren't they? Our Chad loves to join our other dog, a spaniel, in a drink of water... and then help clean up any extra drips of water on the spaniels jowls!!!! :D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Molly doesn't tip her water, but is obsessed with coming to lick you as much as she can when she's finished with the water!...she will usually go and get a refill from the water bowl and move onto someone else in the room then....most disgusting!
It sounds like you have Bradleys twin there! He does this all the time :lol:

It's normally just as you put on a clean pair of trousers/skirt, or you are about to go out for the evening! We have often joked about wearing a pair of overalls - now we are so used to it however, a sponge or wet cloth normally does the trick for removing excess watery slobber!! lol

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Our Charlie is exactlythe same as all the other labs you have described!

My Mum has a silver metal bowl for her dogs water, but Charlie thinks that another dog is in there because he can see his reflection at the bottom so he is constantly putting his whole nose in there to 'lick' the 'other dog'!!! :D

I tell people when they come to our house and end up with wet knees because of him after he has had a drink that they should be complemented as he obviously likes them enough to come over and give them a slobbery kiss!!! :D

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
re-water bowls

Just got Dylan a huge,and I mean huge water bowl,real heavy pottery but obviously he didnt appreciate it as he drank the water managed to carry it upstairs and smashed it to bits when he threw it downstairs.He is an absouloute water baby and loves his water clean or dirty.But he just hates being dried even making it a game he gets stonky.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yup Lola barks madly at the top of the stairs when i bath the kids and if she manages to open the stairgate she will get in the bath with them which they think is hilarious ! The first time when i got a photo it was funny but it wears a bit thin when you have three little ones to get sorted ! :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts