Labradors Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
The vet didn't take a sample and I'm reluctant to go back unless it gets worse-as much as I don't want to put the little ones health at risk, I'm also convinced it's scavenging. I reckon he's eating mushrooms in our lawn. We let him out on his own in the evening for the loo but I think your advice of keeping him on the lead is a good one!

Just come back with the panacur too so fingers crossed I see some improvement!

Kate

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I agree the mushrooms could be the problem, not sure about the Panacur though it is putting something else in the tummy and may cause more upset and then you won't know the cause so unless it is something you have been advised to do I think I would hold off, just my opinion and maybe someone who has tried it for upset tum's then ok.

If it was me I would stay with very small bland meals 3 times a day with the pro-kolin twice a day, plenty to drink and make adjustments when you see signs of improvement but make them very slow.

It is frustrating but honestly try not to chop and change so if chicken an rice is working stay with it, or if its chicken an potato that works stay with it, keep portions small and slightly increase when you see runny poos stop or much longer gaps between, very often it can be a whole day before next poo, that is good and you can start increasing slowly then get back to only 2 meals.
Avoid any changes until tou have had atleast 2 days normal, sounds long winded but worth it, I have just been there with Suzie, she started dodgy tum week last Thursday [12 days] and today is her 1st day back on normal food so I know what your going through, just try not to worry, just go slow.

My only advise would be is go back to vet if there is no improvement at all with the small amounts + Pro-Kolin, I do go down to once a day with that when I see improvement.

June

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks June, I think you're right-I'm probably changing things up as I'm so desperate for improvement! I'll stick with what I'm doing and keep him on lead in the garden and see how he gets on.

Some others on here had said the panacur had helped with runny tums but I'll see if he improves first

Kate

·
Registered
1 Posts
allergies

My pup had runny/liquid stools for about two weeks and the paste tge vet gave him two lots of didnt make any difference and the only thing that would start to make it firm up is when he was on egg and rice. Chicken and rice didnt work either but as soon as i would introduce different foods it would go straight back to runny stools and then finally one decent vet said that it was fairly common to see pups that are allergic to chicken, yep u heard it right ALLERGIC TO CHICKEN. And what do u know, my lil dude is severely allergic to it as all the different brands of food i was slowly reintroduce were chicken flavoured so i brought a small bag of Wainwrights potato and salmon n hes finally got normal poos after such a long time for a pup who was only 8 weeks when this problem happened. It was so draining for my hubby n i asmtge washing machine was constantly on where he had the runs bad all in his beds and the constant cleaning where it went everywhere even when he was in his crate and ive lost count how many times he has had to have baths because he'd sat or laid in it so we are so over the moon that vet found the problem.
Anyway i just thought it was important for others to know this as the vet said it is very common in pups, they can grow out of it but **** no theres no chance i wanna find out if hes grown out of it, if it involves going through all that again with very little sleep, constant cleaning, washing and bathing throughout every single day so i think i will pass on that lol oh also turkey is normally also off the menu if they have a chicken allergy too. Hope this piece of advice is as useful to somebody else as it was for me and my lovely lil yellow lab Toby :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is brilliant Di. Our puppy isn't joining us for another 6 (long?) wks, but being a newbie dog owner I KNOW I'd worry if I "broke her" a few days in. I'm wondering if it might be worth ordering the stuff u recommend so I can save time?

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
This is brilliant Di. Our puppy isn't joining us for another 6 (long?) wks, but being a newbie dog owner I KNOW I'd worry if I "broke her" a few days in. I'm wondering if it might be worth ordering the stuff u recommend so I can save time?
Don't start looking for problems that might not happen and don't change her food.. I kept my puppy on the food that she had been weaned onto because I trusted my breeder, Juice never had a "runny bum", she is still on the same food at 17 months 😀

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm a first time dog owner of a beautiful yellow Labrador. He is 10 weeks old and has settled very well. But 2 days ago he has been sick a few times and has diarrhea. He's eating well and drinks plenty. Any advice on what to do. He's bouncy and perky around the house. I also rang vet this morning and she didn't seem concerned. Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else.. Any advice will be brilliant. Thanks. Helen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm new to the group my puppy is 16 weeks old. We got her at 15 weeks, ive changed her over gradually to James Wellbeloved but she has loose stools alot of the time. I'm going to give your advice ago to see if it can help my Sophie. She is absolutely fine in herself a typical playful, chewy puppy with lots of love and cuddles to give. I also have a sheltie who has never had a bad stomach in his life and he's 8.

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
Loose stools are so normal in young puppies, for so many reasons, she has only just left her litter mates and her mother, and is no her own for the first time in her life. Her breeder has suddenly disappeared and she is now with a strange person who she does not know. The place where she was born is no longer there and she is in a strange house. Everything she has ever known since the day she was born is gone. Looked at like that it's no wonder she is apprehensive and not a little stressed!

That's the mental side, then there is the physical side, even the water tastes strange. Remember when you are on holiday how water can taste different, in a lot of cases because of the chalk content. I live in a very hard water area and find all water tastes different to home.

I don't think I've ever had a puppy who was not a little loose for the first few weeks. As I said at the start, it's all perfectly normal and understandable. :)

Regards, John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
Thank you for posting this. I haven't been on here for a couple of years since we lost Hershey-kisses but now we have Rosie-love. We have had Antibiotics and probiotics and special wet food for her last week as she was vomiting and having 15 poos a day. She is now well but her poos are runny and she is doing around 12 a day.
I have just ordered the Panacur and pro-fibre. If I need to give her the Panacur do I use this as well the Drontal puppy? Which she is due in 7 days.
Many Thanks
Sally & Rosie

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
If I need to give her the Panacur do I use this as well the Drontal puppy?
No. Both are wormers, but are of a different formulation so one could react with the other. Personally I use Drontal on the (very) rare occasions I worm my dogs. I think the last time was around 8 years ago. I only worm when I have a feeling that I have a problem. I dont like putting medication in my dogs just on the offchance. But saying that, if you have been using Drontal Puppy then I would wait until the stated re-dose time then give Panacur, because it covers some things Drontal does not. But also, read the piece below. I wrote it some time ago, but as the subject comes up so often I have saved it for future use.

John :)

Loose stools! So common in puppies, to the extent most pups are to a greater or lesser extent a bit loose. There are several reasons why this could be so.

Firstly there is the stress factor. We take a young puppy away from everything it knows, It’s mother and littermates, the place which it called home ever since it was born, even the only people it has ever known. It’s easy to imagine how this could upset it’s system.

Secondly comes food and drink. You know when you go on holiday how even the water tasted different!

Thirdly, also concerning food. Puppies grow so fast, and need large quantities of food to sustain that growth. But they only have little stomachs. Next time you feed him, look at him and imagine how small his stomach must be in order to fit in that body, then look at the food and ask yourself, “Where on earth does he put it all?” The answer is that a large part of the food passes through him so quickly that it is only partly digested, pushed through by the next meal! This is probably the biggest reason for loose stools and is perfectly normal.

Fourthly we come to the less good things. There are a number of parasites and organisms which could cause problems, Worms, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Guardia and the like. But these are not that common. Most breeders have a worming program so it’s rare these days that a pup from a responsible breeder will have a worm burden, but for all that, it’s possible.

If you are really worried then your vet is the person to talk to. They can test a stool sample and determine if there really is a problem or not. But the fact that some samples are firmer would lead me to guess that you probably do not have a problem. I’ve had pups remain a little loose for the first nearly 6 months simply due to the quantity of food required. The stools just gradually improve until you realise that they are now nicely formed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No. Both are wormers, but are of a different formulation so one could react with the other. Personally I use Drontal on the (very) rare occasions I worm my dogs. I think the last time was around 8 years ago. I only worm when I have a feeling that I have a problem. I dont like putting medication in my dogs just on the offchance. But saying that, if you have been using Drontal Puppy then I would wait until the stated re-dose time then give Panacur, because it covers some things Drontal does not. But also, read the piece below. I wrote it some time ago, but as the subject comes up so often I have saved it for future use.

John :)

Loose stools! So common in puppies, to the extent most pups are to a greater or lesser extent a bit loose. There are several reasons why this could be so.

Firstly there is the stress factor. We take a young puppy away from everything it knows, It’s mother and littermates, the place which it called home ever since it was born, even the only people it has ever known. It’s easy to imagine how this could upset it’s system.

Secondly comes food and drink. You know when you go on holiday how even the water tasted different!

Thirdly, also concerning food. Puppies grow so fast, and need large quantities of food to sustain that growth. But they only have little stomachs. Next time you feed him, look at him and imagine how small his stomach must be in order to fit in that body, then look at the food and ask yourself, “Where on earth does he put it all?” The answer is that a large part of the food passes through him so quickly that it is only partly digested, pushed through by the next meal! This is probably the biggest reason for loose stools and is perfectly normal.

Fourthly we come to the less good things. There are a number of parasites and organisms which could cause problems, Worms, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Guardia and the like. But these are not that common. Most breeders have a worming program so it’s rare these days that a pup from a responsible breeder will have a worm burden, but for all that, it’s possible.

If you are really worried then your vet is the person to talk to. They can test a stool sample and determine if there really is a problem or not. But the fact that some samples are firmer would lead me to guess that you probably do not have a problem. I’ve had pups remain a little loose for the first nearly 6 months simply due to the quantity of food required. The stools just gradually improve until you realise that they are now nicely formed.
Thank you for your reply John that is really helpful. Sally

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having just joined, this is exactly what I was looking for, 2 x 16 week old pups, living life to the full and happy, however the dreaded squits have crept in over the last couple of weeks. We have been banging our heads at the reasons why but realise with puppies it can be various things. The one thing that has been consistent was that other than having maybe 3- squits a day and the rest normal they are happy, eat well, throw themselves all over the place and fill us with a lot of joy, so for me, rather than panic and reach for the phone and call the vet its been more a matter of keeping an eye on things and this post has really answered our questions, settled our fears and provided solutions which will be tried out immediately, in fact my boy has just had his first taste of scrambled eggs and loved it. I've ordered the natural yogurt from the local store, have ordered the other recommendation's and it will be a matter of application.

Have to admit that maybe we have hampered things, overfeeding, change in food, even gave them some raw feed which my pup loved but as my partners pup didn't quite take to it, we have since stopped using it and have gone back to dry kibble which they love. So thank you for this post, its been a very interesting read.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Firstly a disclaimer. This is NO substitute for vet advice. But it is written from many years of raising puppies, both litters and buying in from breeders so all the joys bringing home a new puppy brings.

Some are extremely lucky, and rarely have the slightest problem with their pups tummy. Let me stress these folks are EXTREMELY lucky ;-) In which case move on as you are not in any danger of needing any of this advice - grin!

I'm going to talk about a VERY common pattern of events.

You bring your puppy home from the breeder.

There are several 'danger zones' in terms of loose tummies. The first is IMMEDIATELY. the change of water, the excitement and upset in equal measures, the change of routine etc can certainly make the strongest puppy loose in motion. I'm not going to lie, there will be the odd puppy who will be sent home with its new owners WITH a loose stomach, so don't immediately jump to the conclusion that you have done something wrong UNLESS you actually saw him/her poo solidly before you left the breeders. Litters are absolutely minefields for trying to keep all puppies solid, and little bugs and germs sweep round them in those last couple of weeks from 6 - 8 weeks old, and sometimes the new owners end up 'mopping up' the last dregs of one of those bugs. In that case usually getting the puppy AWAY from the circulating germ at the breeders is enough to put things right. but imagine coupling THAT with the massive change that the puppy is experiencing, its not suprising days 1 - 4 or 5 are a bit of a minefield for many puppy buyers.

OK, the second danger zone, for the puppy who comes home doing solid poo's for the first few days is their next wormer. I would always recommend you space out the puppy vaccinations and the puppy wormer by a week... so lets say week 8 first jab, week 9 wormer, week 10 second jab, week 11 wormer (then for ME week 12 microchip - but thats just a personal schedule). Putting TWO lots of chemicals into a pups bloodstream in the same few days, or often the same DAY is a recipie to upset the strongest little body.

** Something new owners need to realise is the dose for worming tablets is quite a broad catagory. SO, even if your vet WEIGHS your puppy and gives you your wormer on week 8 or whatever, the dose is NOT going to be different waiting a week or so to give it to him/her, even if they put on a bit of weight, as obviously they should. **

So, a truly hugely common senario is you have a smashing pup, all is going perfectly well, puppy is happy eating the food the breeder used or that you, for various reasons, have switched them to. They are pooing solidly, they may even have no effects from their first vaccination... maybe even their first wormer after coming home.... then suddenly.... about week 10/11/12.... swwwwoooosh..... loose poo. The first couple of times its just loose... then suddenly its got little traces of blood in it, and possibly funny mucus stuff. Your Puppy has shot up, so suddenly they look lean, a bit ribby, and not nicely covered like they did. Possibly coupled with them starting to be being picky at mealtimes maybe, OR eat well but within 10 - 20 mins its shooting out the other end. You brace yourself when they crouch to poo, hoping it just might be solid.... I've even put my fingers in my ears praying not to hear that 'squuuuirt - fire hydrant' noise... but it happens... and you are GUTTED! You have broken your perfect puppy! it was all going SO well!!

I'm going to list what WE do at this point.... but this is a list that has been formed from years of going to the vet and working through these stages over and over again until there is simply no need.

HOWEVER AT ANY POINT THE PUPPY SEEMS DULL LISTLESS, IS SICK MORE THAN ONCE, LACKING ENERGY OR DOES NOT EAT FOR MORE THAN 2 MEALS IN A ROW PLEASE DO GO TO THE VET - even if you decide this info is helpful and follow it.

1) I always have in a wonderful thing called PRO-FIBRE GRANULES for dogs. Its about £12 a large tub (800gms) and is a probiotic. Its granules form of the tube of tummy medicine the vet will sell you Usually called prokolin or Diarsanyl). The granules tend to be very paletable, and you would get a months doseage in one tub unlike the vets tube of paste that lasts about three days if that. I would as soon as it arrives use a heaped scoop from the tub once a day in their food.... from the first sign of upset till it is well passed.

2) So the first thing the vet will do, is tell you to go home, and miss a couple of meals to empty the pups tummy out. THEN start on chicken and rice or something like that. Maybe scrambled eggs etc.

This is a good first step to see if it works. For me, if I see THREE loose stool motions in a row (because any pup can have one squirty one then be perfectly fine) I kick into action.

Personally I don't bother with chicken and rice, I miss ONE meal, then give them a scrambled egg with LOADS of glucose powder whisked in and no milk. If you don't have glucose powder a couple of teaspoons of white sugar is fine. I do this for two meals using a single egg each time. Only VERY bland treats are given at bedtime like a quarter of a plain bonio or possibly half a carrot.

3) I would then soak up HALF their normal kibble portion and the next meal give that....ditto the next meal. then I would assess... are they still squirty? Is it improving. Chances are if it IS either the portion you were feeding was too large for YOUR puppy (not someone elses - YOURS) or it was a little thing they ate.

4) Are they still squirting or loose (but happy to eat up)? OK, I would order from the internet Panacur granules. The sachets of 1.8gms (three in a box) are perfect for MOST 8 - 14 week old Labrador puppies.

Meantime whilst this arrived I would be feeding them 4 x a day with about 3/4 per feed of what they were having when the squirts hit. I would be feeding them what they HAD been settled and perfectly OK on before this hit. If it was OK then, its NOT THE REASON this is happening NOW.

Note: BLOOD IN THE STOOL, whilst not NORMAL, is not to be hugely concerned about at this stage because, frankly, its just the passage of poo shooting through somewhere that was not designed to be 'shot through'.... little blood vessels burst, its not abnormal or indication of anything more serious than the fact they have not been poo'ing solidly for a few days.... it doesn't make the reason for the problem any more or less serious than when there is loose poo and NO blood unless of course there is a LOT of it... a few drips or smears per stool is not to be concerned about.

5) When Mr Panacur arrives its one sachet in their food per day for 3 days. I would be continuing with the proFibre throughout. I would also be giving them a scoop of Probiotic plain natural yoghurt in their meal every other day to really try and sort that gut flora out at the same time.

Two days after the Panacur has been given, the VAST majority of pups turn the corner. I would continue with the ProFibre even if they do for another week daily.

6) However if they do not, then at this point for me, it would be worth changing food. IF during this journey they have started refusing their food, it may be because they associate it with not feeling brilliantly top hole in themselves. And this ONCE I would listen to them and change. And frankly, if they have the squirts anyway, I would swap it overnight, rather than slowly as you would IF the puppy was poo'ing solidly ...(but being honest with you, VERY few owners change food IF their puppy is happy and poo'ing solidly on it! Its usually the loose stomach of a pupy that makes the owner think they need to swap)... my priority is keeping them eating alongside being treated... but only the one change, not constant changes. This may need to happen the second they start the squirts if you had your doubts about their food at ALL.... or the point where you have done all you can with the above system.

Vets will go the above route before anything else.... and its always worth DOING those steps before then taking it further. I have genuinely found the vet route of putting them on antibiotics works BRILLIANTLY.... for the duration of them being on antibiotics.... then they finish the course, and the old trouble is back.

7) If after starving, reducing food, using probiotics, using Panacur, switching food once, they are still having loose stools, then go to the vet. It probably will then be stool samples and antibiotics.... BUT the above is a tried and tested way to avoid that, for puppy and for you. It also means you won't be turned away to do any of the above. you can go there having covered ALL the bases the vet would of charged you mucho to do... and you can go straight into stronger treatment and investigation.

Di
Really helpful advice thank a lot.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts