Labradors Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
The vet didn't take a sample and I'm reluctant to go back unless it gets worse-as much as I don't want to put the little ones health at risk, I'm also convinced it's scavenging. I reckon he's eating mushrooms in our lawn. We let him out on his own in the evening for the loo but I think your advice of keeping him on the lead is a good one!

Just come back with the panacur too so fingers crossed I see some improvement!

Kate

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I agree the mushrooms could be the problem, not sure about the Panacur though it is putting something else in the tummy and may cause more upset and then you won't know the cause so unless it is something you have been advised to do I think I would hold off, just my opinion and maybe someone who has tried it for upset tum's then ok.

If it was me I would stay with very small bland meals 3 times a day with the pro-kolin twice a day, plenty to drink and make adjustments when you see signs of improvement but make them very slow.

It is frustrating but honestly try not to chop and change so if chicken an rice is working stay with it, or if its chicken an potato that works stay with it, keep portions small and slightly increase when you see runny poos stop or much longer gaps between, very often it can be a whole day before next poo, that is good and you can start increasing slowly then get back to only 2 meals.
Avoid any changes until tou have had atleast 2 days normal, sounds long winded but worth it, I have just been there with Suzie, she started dodgy tum week last Thursday [12 days] and today is her 1st day back on normal food so I know what your going through, just try not to worry, just go slow.

My only advise would be is go back to vet if there is no improvement at all with the small amounts + Pro-Kolin, I do go down to once a day with that when I see improvement.

June

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks June, I think you're right-I'm probably changing things up as I'm so desperate for improvement! I'll stick with what I'm doing and keep him on lead in the garden and see how he gets on.

Some others on here had said the panacur had helped with runny tums but I'll see if he improves first

Kate

·
Registered
1 Posts
allergies

My pup had runny/liquid stools for about two weeks and the paste tge vet gave him two lots of didnt make any difference and the only thing that would start to make it firm up is when he was on egg and rice. Chicken and rice didnt work either but as soon as i would introduce different foods it would go straight back to runny stools and then finally one decent vet said that it was fairly common to see pups that are allergic to chicken, yep u heard it right ALLERGIC TO CHICKEN. And what do u know, my lil dude is severely allergic to it as all the different brands of food i was slowly reintroduce were chicken flavoured so i brought a small bag of Wainwrights potato and salmon n hes finally got normal poos after such a long time for a pup who was only 8 weeks when this problem happened. It was so draining for my hubby n i asmtge washing machine was constantly on where he had the runs bad all in his beds and the constant cleaning where it went everywhere even when he was in his crate and ive lost count how many times he has had to have baths because he'd sat or laid in it so we are so over the moon that vet found the problem.
Anyway i just thought it was important for others to know this as the vet said it is very common in pups, they can grow out of it but **** no theres no chance i wanna find out if hes grown out of it, if it involves going through all that again with very little sleep, constant cleaning, washing and bathing throughout every single day so i think i will pass on that lol oh also turkey is normally also off the menu if they have a chicken allergy too. Hope this piece of advice is as useful to somebody else as it was for me and my lovely lil yellow lab Toby :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is brilliant Di. Our puppy isn't joining us for another 6 (long?) wks, but being a newbie dog owner I KNOW I'd worry if I "broke her" a few days in. I'm wondering if it might be worth ordering the stuff u recommend so I can save time?

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
This is brilliant Di. Our puppy isn't joining us for another 6 (long?) wks, but being a newbie dog owner I KNOW I'd worry if I "broke her" a few days in. I'm wondering if it might be worth ordering the stuff u recommend so I can save time?
Don't start looking for problems that might not happen and don't change her food.. I kept my puppy on the food that she had been weaned onto because I trusted my breeder, Juice never had a "runny bum", she is still on the same food at 17 months 😀

Chel and Juice xx 🐾🐾

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm a first time dog owner of a beautiful yellow Labrador. He is 10 weeks old and has settled very well. But 2 days ago he has been sick a few times and has diarrhea. He's eating well and drinks plenty. Any advice on what to do. He's bouncy and perky around the house. I also rang vet this morning and she didn't seem concerned. Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else.. Any advice will be brilliant. Thanks. Helen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm new to the group my puppy is 16 weeks old. We got her at 15 weeks, ive changed her over gradually to James Wellbeloved but she has loose stools alot of the time. I'm going to give your advice ago to see if it can help my Sophie. She is absolutely fine in herself a typical playful, chewy puppy with lots of love and cuddles to give. I also have a sheltie who has never had a bad stomach in his life and he's 8.

·
Administrator
20,738 Posts
Loose stools are so normal in young puppies, for so many reasons, she has only just left her litter mates and her mother, and is no her own for the first time in her life. Her breeder has suddenly disappeared and she is now with a strange person who she does not know. The place where she was born is no longer there and she is in a strange house. Everything she has ever known since the day she was born is gone. Looked at like that it's no wonder she is apprehensive and not a little stressed!

That's the mental side, then there is the physical side, even the water tastes strange. Remember when you are on holiday how water can taste different, in a lot of cases because of the chalk content. I live in a very hard water area and find all water tastes different to home.

I don't think I've ever had a puppy who was not a little loose for the first few weeks. As I said at the start, it's all perfectly normal and understandable. :)

Regards, John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Thank you for posting this. I haven't been on here for a couple of years since we lost Hershey-kisses but now we have Rosie-love. We have had Antibiotics and probiotics and special wet food for her last week as she was vomiting and having 15 poos a day. She is now well but her poos are runny and she is doing around 12 a day.
I have just ordered the Panacur and pro-fibre. If I need to give her the Panacur do I use this as well the Drontal puppy? Which she is due in 7 days.
Many Thanks
Sally & Rosie

·
Administrator
20,738 Posts
If I need to give her the Panacur do I use this as well the Drontal puppy?
No. Both are wormers, but are of a different formulation so one could react with the other. Personally I use Drontal on the (very) rare occasions I worm my dogs. I think the last time was around 8 years ago. I only worm when I have a feeling that I have a problem. I dont like putting medication in my dogs just on the offchance. But saying that, if you have been using Drontal Puppy then I would wait until the stated re-dose time then give Panacur, because it covers some things Drontal does not. But also, read the piece below. I wrote it some time ago, but as the subject comes up so often I have saved it for future use.

John :)

Loose stools! So common in puppies, to the extent most pups are to a greater or lesser extent a bit loose. There are several reasons why this could be so.

Firstly there is the stress factor. We take a young puppy away from everything it knows, It’s mother and littermates, the place which it called home ever since it was born, even the only people it has ever known. It’s easy to imagine how this could upset it’s system.

Secondly comes food and drink. You know when you go on holiday how even the water tasted different!

Thirdly, also concerning food. Puppies grow so fast, and need large quantities of food to sustain that growth. But they only have little stomachs. Next time you feed him, look at him and imagine how small his stomach must be in order to fit in that body, then look at the food and ask yourself, “Where on earth does he put it all?” The answer is that a large part of the food passes through him so quickly that it is only partly digested, pushed through by the next meal! This is probably the biggest reason for loose stools and is perfectly normal.

Fourthly we come to the less good things. There are a number of parasites and organisms which could cause problems, Worms, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Guardia and the like. But these are not that common. Most breeders have a worming program so it’s rare these days that a pup from a responsible breeder will have a worm burden, but for all that, it’s possible.

If you are really worried then your vet is the person to talk to. They can test a stool sample and determine if there really is a problem or not. But the fact that some samples are firmer would lead me to guess that you probably do not have a problem. I’ve had pups remain a little loose for the first nearly 6 months simply due to the quantity of food required. The stools just gradually improve until you realise that they are now nicely formed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No. Both are wormers, but are of a different formulation so one could react with the other. Personally I use Drontal on the (very) rare occasions I worm my dogs. I think the last time was around 8 years ago. I only worm when I have a feeling that I have a problem. I dont like putting medication in my dogs just on the offchance. But saying that, if you have been using Drontal Puppy then I would wait until the stated re-dose time then give Panacur, because it covers some things Drontal does not. But also, read the piece below. I wrote it some time ago, but as the subject comes up so often I have saved it for future use.

John :)

Loose stools! So common in puppies, to the extent most pups are to a greater or lesser extent a bit loose. There are several reasons why this could be so.

Firstly there is the stress factor. We take a young puppy away from everything it knows, It’s mother and littermates, the place which it called home ever since it was born, even the only people it has ever known. It’s easy to imagine how this could upset it’s system.

Secondly comes food and drink. You know when you go on holiday how even the water tasted different!

Thirdly, also concerning food. Puppies grow so fast, and need large quantities of food to sustain that growth. But they only have little stomachs. Next time you feed him, look at him and imagine how small his stomach must be in order to fit in that body, then look at the food and ask yourself, “Where on earth does he put it all?” The answer is that a large part of the food passes through him so quickly that it is only partly digested, pushed through by the next meal! This is probably the biggest reason for loose stools and is perfectly normal.

Fourthly we come to the less good things. There are a number of parasites and organisms which could cause problems, Worms, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Guardia and the like. But these are not that common. Most breeders have a worming program so it’s rare these days that a pup from a responsible breeder will have a worm burden, but for all that, it’s possible.

If you are really worried then your vet is the person to talk to. They can test a stool sample and determine if there really is a problem or not. But the fact that some samples are firmer would lead me to guess that you probably do not have a problem. I’ve had pups remain a little loose for the first nearly 6 months simply due to the quantity of food required. The stools just gradually improve until you realise that they are now nicely formed.
Thank you for your reply John that is really helpful. Sally

61 - 74 of 74 Posts